• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

East Surrey's Officers return to POW camp

Beat me to it. Fascinating read! Definitely would not happen with our enemy today. I always thought the German - British conflict of WW1 was a weird one due to the Kaiser having a bit of British himself.

And the Kaiser spoke perfect English, and at family gatherings would take the piss out of Edward VII who had a heavy German accent.
They probably felt more at ease when doing a uniform trade for the day.

Edit... Yes it is Tsar Nicholas but they were all related anyway..

kaiser_wilhelm_ii__und_zar_nikolaus_ii_.jpg

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
There are quite a few references in the POW literature to prisoners being allowed walks in the surrounding countryside on giving their parole. I think it was even possible from Colditz in the earlier parts of the war. But that's the first time I've heard of an officer being allowed home.

Go back to the age of chivalry and it was quite common - very often prisoners were ransomed. It was good business to let the prisoner go off on his parole - he could go off and raise his ransom, then present himself to his captor with the ransom money to 'free' himself.

Wordsmith

There are quite a few references in the POW literature to prisoners being allowed walks in the surrounding countryside on giving their parole. I think it was even possible from Colditz in the earlier parts of the war. But that's the first time I've heard of an officer being allowed home.

Go back to the age of chivalry and it was quite common - very often prisoners were ransomed. It was good business to let the prisoner go off on his parole - he could go off and raise his ransom, then present himself to his captor with the ransom money to 'free' himself.

Wordsmith
Chivalry is of course relative - if you didn't have access to the cash or any hope of raising it you just had your throat cut on capture!

Latest Threads