East Surrey's Officers return to POW camp

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jcarver007, Sep 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A British officer from East Surrey Regiment was freed from a German prisoner of war camp during the First World War to see his dying mother — and then kept his promise to the Kaiser and returned a week later.
    A similar request by the Germans was refused by our government at the time...

British PoW who surrendered liberty for honour | The Times
  2. Beat me to it. Fascinating read! Definitely would not happen with our enemy today. I always thought the German - British conflict of WW1 was a weird one due to the Kaiser having a bit of British himself.
  3. And the Kaiser spoke perfect English, and at family gatherings would take the piss out of Edward VII who had a heavy German accent.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. They probably felt more at ease when doing a uniform trade for the day.

Edit... Yes it is Tsar Nicholas but they were all related anyway..

5. Current Affairs? Really?
  6. I am told he only went back was because they kept his iPod hostage, ------ sorry that was the RN officer
  7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

There are quite a few references in the POW literature to prisoners being allowed walks in the surrounding countryside on giving their parole. I think it was even possible from Colditz in the earlier parts of the war. But that's the first time I've heard of an officer being allowed home.

Go back to the age of chivalry and it was quite common - very often prisoners were ransomed. It was good business to let the prisoner go off on his parole - he could go off and raise his ransom, then present himself to his captor with the ransom money to 'free' himself.

8. Insofar as the story has just been uncovered - yes.
  9. Chivalry is of course relative - if you didn't have access to the cash or any hope of raising it you just had your throat cut on capture!