East India Company returns after 135-year absence

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by singha61, Aug 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC
    An Indian entrepreneur is relaunching the famous East India Company with the opening of a luxury food store in London on Saturday.

The event takes place on the same day that - more than 135 years ago - the company was dissolved.

At the height of its power, the East India Company controlled large parts of India with its own armed forces.

But it was disbanded after soldiers of the company's own army rose in revolt against the British in 1857.

BBC News - East India Company returns after 135-year absence
    The East India Company Ltd
  2. we brits are a nostalgic old bunch so names like the east india company remind us of our heady days of empire.
    good luck to him i say.
  3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I had read a few years back that the Honourable Company had been bought by an Indian which made me laugh in that satisfied way you get with moments of rich historical resonance. All play to his arm I say - it will play well here in the UK, especially, and across the world, and seems to be in India (judging by the BBC article).

The Company never disappeared they have held on, with their little concerns in plantations and shipping insurance. The Company is a fascinating but not always widely appreciated facet of British Imperial praxis that is often ignored by people in their blase blasts at history and a valuable wealth of knowedge and lessons for anyone interested in the rise of Mercantalism and global capitalism.

Some good books on the subject:

The Corporation That Changed the World: How the East India Company Shaped the Modern Multinational: Amazon.co.uk: Nick Robins: Books

The Honourable Company: History of the English East India Company: Amazon.co.uk: John Keay: Books

Nice website they have too, great introduction to the "New" Company as it contextualises itself - nice Dan Snow vid too.
  4. I saw this on CNBC a couple of days ago. Looks like a nice shop. I'll have to pop in sometime. Of course I'll still be getting my tea and preserves at Fortnum's.
  5. I saw a brief excerpt on, I think CNN, where the new owner was showing some of his goods, sounded interesting, not sure about the flavour of some of his exotic chocolates though! He is very much an Anglophile by his comments!
  6. /agree

will make a killing just from the branding
  7. Oh Good... that means Uncle V can go over to Kolkotta and reclaim all Granddads' millions that were confiscated in 1947....

Attached Files:

8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

He also seemed remarkably possesed to look at history with both a passionate eye and a lack of emotive biliousness (which can always be an unfortunate side effect). He's even into publishig FFS:- I'm suckered already I seriously need to visit the next time I go down to London.
  9. D'you supose they may even raise their own Army?
  10. Why not? Blackwater, or whatever they are calling themselves this week, have already proven it can be commercially viable. And after SDSR they will have thousands of ex-Servicemen to choose form.