East Germany Cold War Map

I’ve been working on an East German version of my West German cold war map and, after a lot of research, I think I’ve done a reasonable job. It’s like they have almost erased as much as they could dating from that period. As Google maps only goes back to 2010 in some cases it’s not a lot of help when trying to locate things.
Also not helped as there is not as much information about them on the net unlike West Germany, although this Wikipedia page has been a great help - List of Soviet military sites in Germany - Wikipedia - (although some entries in it are wrong or the links/place names spelt incorrectly).
I’m guessing this lack of information may be down to a lack of personal cameras being used by WP troops based there as well as that people like the Soviets often gave their camps numbers and not names. I do wonder if Russian soldiers had much awareness of where exactly they were in the old DDR too.
So far I have found the following:

Airbases: Most have been left to return to nature and many are hard to spot due to the Soviets taking their runways with them in several cases.

Ammo depots: These took some time to start to locate and consist of several types. From well engineered bunker types, to quite basic ones and ones located right next to vehicle parks to vehicles could bomb up pretty quickly on crash out, though I am aware of the talk that many tanks etc. were kept bombed up at all times. Not sure how true this is, and it does invite the Emperor to look at spreading some misadventure.

Barracks: Most have been levelled very quickly in the 90’s and the only hint of what they once were is the layout of the industrial/housing areas they have since become and perhaps some remaining buildings and square concrete road paving. The easiest ones to find are the old Wehrmacht types, and even then, they are being rapidly demolished if not reused for housing.
Many though still exist but are in remote locations and have become overgrown with crumbling buildings still visible in the trees.

Air defence sites:
Again, these were, initially, hard to locate as they tended to use rather rough and ready locations (a bit of horseshoe shaped revetments and off you go) and these are now either overgrown now or levelled. However, there are many others that are in permanent locations and not easily identifiable as such. The Anti-Ballistic Missile sites were only discovered once I’d found one and it corresponded with a picture of one I found when searching for Soviet air defence sites.

Training areas:
Many of these can still be seen easily on Google Earth, but in a lot of cases, unless you are zoomed in on a particular area, you could overlook them completely.

Stores Depots: Often these are similar to the vehicle parks (contained in the same section) and often hidden in woods.

Randoms: Generally interesting stuff that doesn't fit in eslewhere!

Whilst I’ve been as thorough as I can there will still be a lot of mislabelling of sites. Any mistakes are my own. If I have mislabelled/missed anything then please let me know and I'll get it fixed.

You can download the map in both KML and KMZ format from here (these will be continually updated as much as I can) - East Germany Cold War - and I suggest that you use Google Earth Pro (free) to view this via the .KML file - Google Earth - or use Google Maps and the .KMZ file. Be aware though you won’t be able to go back in time using this method and many site will now be housing/industrial areas…or just erased completely.

Enjoy!

egermany.JPG

Just noticed that the ABM sites have a small camp nearby. I'd labelled these as either 'Stores Depot' or 'Ammo Depot', but now realise that these are the camps housing the battery troops, so have relabelled them all as 'Barracks' now.
You will note that many of these missile sites have been completely erased. Not sure if this was the Soviets, but the barracks still remain (or at least the shell of them) whilst the main missile sites have been demolished, even if they are hidden away out of sight.
This one still had it's bunkers in as far back as 2006 (the only one that did). I wonder if it was overlooked?

abm site.JPG

I based the assumption these were ABM site after reading this site - Russian/Soviet Anti-Ballistic Missile Systems - and noteing the resemblence, although I think the ones in E Germany are slightly different:

DAL-SITE-LAYOUT.jpg

Last edited:
Did you put in the underground installations? Most of them were from the Narzis, used as production facilities by them, and then re-purposed by the Sovs/NVA.

I know this will sound bone, but I've got google earth pro open, your kHz file in downloads, how do I open one with t'other?

MacBook thanks I’ll have a look tomorrow . As a Sov watcher In Germany I’ll be looking for some old favourite locations

Not sure if this exactly correct but you seem to need to open a new project and then import the file rather than clicking on the file directly. I imagine it will either recognise the file type or there will be a drop down of acceptable file types.

Did you put in the underground installations? Most of them were from the Narzis, used as production facilities by them, and then re-purposed by the Sovs/NVA.
No, I have found several bunkers (in the 'Ramdoms' section) I've not found anything like that yet. If you know of any, please let me know and I'll get them included.
I've found that the trick with many of the old locations in E Germany is to look in woods for the most intresting stuff. They really did like hide and seek!

When I open google earth I don't get th option to import a kHz file in a new project - that's what their own help tells me to do. I only gt a creat new or open old option

I'm probably screwed because I'm using a mac

When I open google earth I don't get th option to import a kHz file in a new project - that's what their own help tells me to do. I only gt a creat new or open old option

I'm probably screwed because I'm using a mac
Have you tried File - Open?
If you had Windows you could also right-click on the files and select 'Open with', but usually you can just double click on one and will open the correct program.

Have you tried File - Open?
If you had Windows you could also right-click on the files and select 'Open with', but usually you can just double click on one and will open the correct program.
Haha! Gadzooks, I'm in - all power to the ARRSErati!