East Devon District Council restricts poppy sales

Just gone into Honiton (Devon) Royal British Legion to volunteer to sell Poppy's from tomorrow (Monday 27/10/08) to be told that the local council have only allowed the sale on the high street two days before the 9th (Friday/Saturday), I have e-mailed Angela Browning the local MP and the councilors and the outrage bus is first paraded.......any assistance gratefully received as to what to do.

towncouncil @ honiton.gov.uk

Honiton is an old garrison town with a number of old airbases near including the one which the 101st Airborne took of from in June 1944,

Cheers

Paul

God only knows, have sent emails to the council, MP and Western Morning and intend to call the council tomorrow......been told it was the same last year, my guess is that they treat all charity street collections the same...

Not going to sell many poppies then are they ? wonder who or what sits on that council then eh?

Gone public now though hasn't it..... oh dear, dear dear me

abrecan said:
Not going to sell many poppies then are they ? wonder who or what sits on that council then eh?

Council Members

email sent
Dear Councillors,
I have been informed that Honiton council are allowing poppy sales on the streets of the town (which has a long association with the Armed Forces) for two days only these days being Friday 9 and Saturday 10 November.

You are, I am sure, aware of the good work carried out by the Royal British Legion (Registered Charity No. 219279) much of whose funding comes from the annual poppy sales in the two weeks preceding Remembrance Day (11 November).

I am sure there must have been some misunderstanding, and that you will clarify the situation by cofirming that the sales of poppies will be allowed prior to those dates.

I look forward to an early and positive reply.

Per Ardua
rockape34

Isn't that pretty much the norm?

Honiton - Used to be rearly good with support to HM Forces / Cadets and things like selling Poppy's. In 2000 I was living their, and at the time was helping to run the local ACF unit.

We had things running like a Mayor's Cadet, and that worked very well, for both the Town and the Cadets.

I would suggest, a visit along the high street, asking in each shop what their feelings were, then armed with the facts, a visit to the Council, along with the RBL, followed by as many letters as possible to all the local papers.

With regards to Angela Browning, I have always found her to be very good at supporting all things military, and she will do all she can to help.

I am over in Tiverton, but will fire off an email to Angela, and see if I can help at all from this end.

Regards

Birmingham launched last week, Royal Marine Commando Guests of Honour, and the intention is to go for the best Poppy sales yet.

What exactly, are Honiton's restrictions?

Will find out tomorrow and report back

rockape34 said:
abrecan said:

Council Members

email sent
Dear Councillors,
I have been informed that Honiton council are allowing poppy sales on the streets of the town (which has a long association with the Armed Forces) for two days only these days being Friday 9 and Saturday 10 November.
You are, I am sure, aware of the good work carried out by the Royal British Legion (Registered Charity No. 219279) much of whose funding comes from the annual poppy sales in the two weeks preceding Remembrance Day (11 November).

I am sure there must have been some misunderstanding, and that you will clarify the situation by cofirming that the sales of poppies will be allowed prior to those dates.

I look forward to an early and positive reply.

Per Ardua
rockape34
Check your dates mate... In my calendar, the 9th is Sunday and the 10th is Monday (9th being Remembrance Sunday...) 8)

Update...its East Devon District Council, who have confirmed that they only allow 2 days...however if they receive a further application they will consider it...will contact the RBL and get it sorted.......

Contact and number removed to avoid Outrage ND's while Dante sorts out RBL/EDDC...

PTP

dante242 said:
Update...its East Devon District Council, who have confirmed that they only allow 2 days...however if they receive a further application they will consider it...will contact the RBL and get it sorted.......

Contact and number removed to avoid Outrage ND's while Dante sorts out RBL/EDDC...

PTP
Well one wonders who in EDDC made this inane decision. Is this just the usual blind moronic application of 'regulations' without any consideration as to whether such regulations are relevant or appropriate? At what level and pay-grade was this 'decision-maker'?

Unsworth said:
dante242 said:

PTP
Well one wonders who in EDDC made this inane decision. Is this just the usual blind moronic application of 'regulations' without any consideration as to whether such regulations are relevant or appropriate? At what level and pay-grade was this 'decision-maker'?
It would not suprise me if they have some 19/20 year old university dropout just rubber stamping yes or no on the paperwork, not having a clue about what on earth the RBL even is.

Been to RBL Honiton and applications it appears come from Pall Mall...so the decision from EDDC will stand us less I can contact Pall Mall.....still waiting for Branch committee to contact me.....standby standby
PS Any advice gratefully received

dante242 said:
Been to RBL Honiton and applications it appears come from Pall Mall...so the decision from EDDC will stand us less I can contact Pall Mall.....still waiting for Branch committee to contact me.....standby standby
PS Any advice gratefully received
To be frank, courtesy and going through the system is less effective than making a noise. Why not do both? I'm sure there are many here who will happily put pen to paper - or make signals via the world-wide-interwebby thingy. Just put up the addresses.

Ok...Just got of the phone to Tina at licencing RBL Pall Mall, to clarify; EDDC were asked for a week to sell Poppy's on the high st but the council only granted 2 days,
nothing can be done this year !!!! unless the council can change there mind........

However...the editor of the western morning news has contacted me for a story, which I have given them....

Let slip the dogs....................

dante242 said:
Ok...Just got of the phone to Tina at licencing RBL Pall Mall, to clarify; EDDC were asked for a week to sell Poppy's on the high st but the council only granted 2 days,
nothing can be done this year !!!! unless the council can change there mind........

However...the editor of the western morning news has contacted me for a story, which I have given them....

Let slip the dogs....................
Only two days after being asked for one week? What is this about? Would EDDC be happy if, in the event of hostilities, they were defended for two days out of seven? Good Grief!

Time to name and shame these apparatchiks. Our local borough has been perfectly happy for Poppy sellers to be out and about since last weekend. There was a formal launch by the County authorities on 23 October etc etc. In fact the Appeal has been widely supported by County and Borough authorities.