East Anglian Regiment

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Irish_Gunner, Apr 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just had a question for all you military historians out there. I saw recently that the Royal Anglian Regiment began life as three seperate single battalion numbered East Anglian Regiments. Each of which was the result of the amalgamation of two regiments. It appears that they only lasted from 60-64 and where then formed into 1,2,3 R Anglian.

My question is, were these Regiments realy sperate entities with people joining a specific one and were they intended to remain as such into the future or were they a transitional thing to move from the original six regts into the final one?

I think the Royal Green Jackets had a similar beggining so if any one knows about them also I would appreciate any info.

relevant wiki page Royal Anglian Regiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. they were formed when the brigades were named after areas and all 3 were in the east anglian brigade they were intended (I Think) to stay as east anglians but were formed into the royal anglian regt when the liecesters joined them (liecesters became 4 royal anglian ) then there was a gap of a couple of years till the carderised territorial county units became 5,6 and 7 royal anglian this is all off the top of my head i cant find my regimental history at the mo
  3. I don't know if, after the 1960 infantry amalgamations, the planners had the subsequent large regiment concept in mind but in 1960, all the infantry battalions became 'brigaded' The East Anglian Brigade's and the Green Jackets Brigade's component regiments were unusual in as much as they had similar identities within their brigades. The rest of the brigades though, were similar although their regiments' names remained unique. All the brigades' component regiments had the same brigade cap-badge and depot, for example the Wessex Brigade, consisting of the Devon & Dorsets, Royal Hampshires, Gloucesters and DERR, had their depot at Honiton and the Wyvern (I think it was called ) cap badge. It became easier to transfer between the regiments as the need arose, either for individuals or drafts.

It does seem the large regiments were formed to erode the county system for more flexibility, and the East Anglians and the Green Jackets were the forerunners and it was an on-going process, at the time the two large regiments were formed, they kept their former titles in brackets eg 1 Royal Anglian (Norfolk & Suffolk) and 2nd Royal Green Jackets (KRRC) but just two or three years or so on, they had to drop their bracketed titles. There were two or three more large regiments formed, LI, FUS, RIR, in the next few years.
    I don't think that answers your question but I hope its of some help
  4. Thanks for the responces. I suppose the short version of my question is: Were the three East Anglian Regiments regarded and organised as fully seperate regiments or were they more like one three battalion regiment in reality?
  5. It's not that simple imv. Infantry regiments were predominantly County based but formed by someone with enough money. Have a look at the history of the Essex Regiment:
    Essex Regiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The short answer to your amended question would be individual battalions within a Regiment and as part of the Queens Division ie your question doesn't seem to understand the premise of military organisation
  6. They were actually regiments- I am pretty certain that the full title of 1EA until mid 1964 was 1st Battalion, 1st East Anglian Regiment(Norfolk and Suffolk) and in theory, each of the regiments could have had extra battalions. Certainly the title of 2GJ was 1/2nd Green Jackets (KRRC)
    The Queens Division didn't come in until a few years later, circa 1968.
    Still a difficult question to answer as it seems to be a question of practices and ethos; when the Green Jackets Brigade became the Royal Green Jackets regiment on 1st Jan 66, shoulder titles, stable belts and cap badges changed overnight but nothing much else seemed to.
  7. Sorry that should have read "fully seperate Regiments"
  8. The brigades of Infantry were roughly as follows, as there were a number of regiments moved between brigades as well as regiments amalgamated within brigades;

The Guards Brigade
    Grenadier Guards
    Coldstream Guards
    Scots Guards
    Irish Guards
    Welsh Guards

The East Anglian Brigade
    The Royal Norfolk Regiment
    The Suffolk Regiment
    The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment
    The Essex Regiment
    The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment
    The Northamptonshire Regiment

The Foresters Brigade (fomerly the Midland Brigade)
    The Royal Warwickshire Regiment (to Fusilier Bde 1963)
    The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment (to East Anglian Bde 1957)
    The Royal Leicestershire Regiment (to East Anglian bde 1963)
    The Sherwood Foresters (to Mercian Bde 1962)

The Fusiliers Brigade
    The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (from Yorkshire Bde)
    The Royal Fusiliers (from Home Counties Bde)
    The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers (from Foresters Bde)
    The Lancashire Fusiliers (from Lancastrian Bde)

The Green Jackets Brigade
    The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (from LI Bde)
    The King's Royal Rifle Corps
    The Rifle Brigade

The Highland Brigade
    The Seaforth Highlanders
    The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
    The Black Watch
    The Highland Light Infantry (to Lowland Bde 1959)
    The Gordon Highlanders
    The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

The Home Counties Brigade
    The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey)
    The East Surrey Regiment
    The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment)
    The Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment
    The Royal Fusiliers (to Fusilier Bde 1957)
    The Royal Sussex Regiment
    The Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own)

The Lancastrian Brigade
    The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)
    The King's Own Royal Border Regiment (from 1959)
    The King's Regiment (Liverpool & Manchester) (from 1959)
    The Lancashire Fusiliers (to Fusilier Bde 1957)
    The East Lancashire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Volunteers)
    The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire)

The Light Infantry Brigade
    The Somerset & Cornwall Light Infantry
    The Oxforshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
    The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
    The King's Shropshire Light Infantry
    The Durham Light Infantry

The Lowland Brigade
    The Royal Scots
    The Royal Highland Fusiliers
    The King's Own Scots Borderers
    The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

The Mercian Brigade
    The Cheshire Regiment
    The Worcestershire & Sherwood Foresters Regiment
    The Staffordshire Regiment

The North Irish Brigade
    The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
    The Royal Ulster Rifles
    The Royal Irish Fusiliers (Princess Victoria's)

The Welsh Brigade
    The Royal Regiment Of Wales
    The Royal Welch Fusiliers

The Wessex Brigade
    The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment
    The Gloucestershire Regiment
    The Royal Hampshire Regiment
    The Duke of Edninburgh's Royal Regiment (Berkshire & Wiltshire)

The Yorkshire Brigade (formally The Yorkshire & Northumberland Bde)
    The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (to Fusilier Bde 1950)
    The Prince of Wale's Own Regiment of Yorkshire
    The Green Howards
    The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
    The York & Lancaster Regiment (disbanded 1968)

The Gurkha Brigade
    2nd King Edward VII Own Gurkha Rifles (The Simoor Rifles)
    6th Queen Elizabeth's Own Gurkha Rifles
    7th Duke of Edinburgh's Own Gurkha Rifles
    10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles

The Parachute Regiment was not part of this administrative system

9. Not forgetting the South Wales Borderers !

Edited to add- and The Welch Regiment too.

The Royal Regiment of Wales were formed as far as I recall, after the Welsh Brigade was gone
  10. I did say it was a rough guide. I expect I missed a couple of other name changes and or moves between brigades.
  11. Yes, I appreciate your trouble, it just shows what a state of almost constant flux the infantry were during the '60s

Interesting of all those in the list, only the Guards and the Gurkhas kept their own cap badges. The brigade cap badges were not such a good idea.

Going back to the OPs original question, does anyone know how the respective TA bns were designated when the the three East Anglian regiments were in existance?