Earthquake in Kabul last night

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by regular_imbiber, Dec 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Around 2220 local i was watching the Arsenal game with 2 other lads when I felt a low vibrating sensation. At first I thought it was just a low flying helicopter but then it got much worse until eventually the whole building was swaying and beds and lockers etc were rattling like crazy. It lasted for about 10-15 seconds and then stopped. It was an eerie and surreal experience. I Googled a few seismic sites and apparently the epicentre was 200km away in the Hindu Kush region, it measured 5.8 on the Richter Scale. This little taster certainly makes you think what going through a really major quake must be like.

2. I suspect gayness.

3. How thrilling.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. What was the extent of the improvements?

• Like Like x 4
  5. I've learnt that the depth of the quake is a bit more significant than the magnitude. You can have a 9.5 at 100k's deep and go "heehee" or you can have a 5.9 at 5k deep and go "FUCK!!!!!"

Last one that woke me up was a 4.9, my wank chariot moved about a foot across the room, as if duty guard had picked the end of it up and moved it a foot shaking it all the way for an early morning wake up. It's something else to tick off the "To do list" A bit like getting shot at for the first time, you wonder what it's like and as soon as it happens it's a case of "OK, done that, that'll do" :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

"To do" list... I drove on that double decker bridge in San Francisco the day before it collapsed during the last big earthquake. I was 36,000 feet in the air the next day when it struck. Does that count?

7. I was looking at the twin towers from the empire state building 6 weeks before they came down, does that count for anything? :)........

Was that the bridge where the drivers were sandwiched?

8. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Yup, it was that bridge. However, they still managed to pull a few folks out alive, amazing.

9. Whilst the sanbags are still out and lamps gently swaying, there was a similar quake when I was in Kabul 3 years back. Pretty much shit myself as I was having a wank at the time and it would have been typical of me to be pulled from rubble in front of cameras still wearing the stockings and covered in tissue.
    There was a second (quake, not wank) the next day but by then I was a veteran.

10. Nicosia in 1971, mind you I had drunk large amounts of Ouzo and was in a house of ill repute in Regina Street so I'm not sure that it was an actual earthquake.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Good stuff, Ouzo!

12. There were a couple in 2009/2010, slept through one and woke up wondering who'd thrown my kit all over the place.

13. Lived 5 years in Alaska where there is a quake nearly every day, the majority of which can't be felt. We had a fish tank in the living room and one of the fish had a habit of jumping out of the tank about 2 seconds before we could feel the quake, handy early warning system!

14. There was one in Zante when I was on holiday there a couple of years back, I thought it was an HGV going past at first but there's hardly any of those on the island & it went on for about 30 seconds. Turns out they get them all the time there, one of which levelled nearly every building on the island back in the 50's I think it was.

15. Changingmag, you must have been there same time as me, I remember a couple of mild quakes when I was in Souter