Earthquake in Indonesia 29 March 05

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Birdie_Numnums, Mar 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks as if the misery hasn't ended yet for the Indian Ocean rim nations. An 8.7 on the Richter Scale on an island just off Sumatra. Initial reports guessing that possibly 4 wave tsunami fanning out in SW direction (compared to East/ West on Boxing day. Madagaska can expect impact in just over an hour from now. Experts saying they don't expect it will be as big but also saying they can only rely on tidal indicators so who knows.

Initial reports out of Indonesia say 300 killed in building collapses at quake epicentre.

Jeez, I hope the governments there have got some evac plans in operation now.

2. Update - Straits Times in S'pore is currently reporting the following from Jakarta:

"As many as 2,000 people are feared dead in Indonesia after a powerful earthquake measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale struck Sumatra late Monday night, an official said on Tuesday."

lancslad

3. Apparently there are after shock quakes happening at 15 minute intervals, and the people panicing

4. I was planning Phuket this weekend... Take a chance?! :?

5. Oh yeah, that great independent paper with incisive and impartial editorials... :roll: :wink:

6. Try clicking on to this site; it's about the best and most coherent (user-friendly) for up to date info:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Just makes you (UK based) glad you're in a seismologically stable area...
    ...Relatively speaking, of course.

The only seismic disturbance I get is when some f*ckwit chav drives his hot-hatch boom-box past my front door! :evil:

7. I'm not UK based though! Like Lancslad I'm in Singapore, but we don't feel anything coz we're nicely shielded by the island of Sumatra... I have friends visiting & we were planning on popping to Phuket for the weekend... Think we'll go to Ko Samui instead now.

8. a fine publication, no.1 in S'pore :!: hold on... the only one in S'pore :oops: