Earth like planet found

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by g2_loony_bin, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC story

1.5 times bigger than Earth and closer to it's sun than we are to our own, except it's fainter so it'll probably be good for ski resorts only.

With an estimated temp of 0 - 40*C and a crap sun I don't see there being many places like Tenerife.

Anyone want to invest?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I'll have a piece of that. It might actually be the planet that Bliar is living on, and if so, I can find him and give him the good news.

3. Pretty sure we can heat up a planet without too much effort these days.

And this one has a 13 day orbit, so you can cram a whole year off into a fortnight. I say it's a winner.

4. Apparently the French and Navy are in a race to see who can surrender to it first.

5. apparently its got double our gravity,which might make you ski a bit quicker,but as it will make me about 60stone i think i'll leave the snow sports to you squaddie racing-snake types! :D

6. Can we please send all politicians there, on a one-way rocket? 8) :twisted:

If we hurry, there'll be no need for the May local elections . . . . :D :lol:

7. Doubt it's got twice the gravity seeing as it's only one half bigger.

8. Its 20 light years away, so if all you people who wish to go, best get going now and you could make it in around 400 years?

9. Depends how fast you were going.

10. Unless you have the Millenium Falcon, which did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs, you wont get there any quicker

11. More like about 3x the gravity - assuming a similar geological composition to the Earth (a big assumption before any smartarrse points it out :p )

Gravity is proportional to mass, so would depend on the volume, not radius ;)

12. and its 14x closer to its sun than we are to ours!

13. And that close to the star, it's possibly likely to be tidally bound, meaning there's no day and night, one side would be constantly lit, the other constantly dark. Until there's some good spectra taken of it, it's impossible to say how habitable it is......

14. hmmmm.radiation burns anyone???

15. Here we see human nature at work. Are we discussing the weird and wonderful forms of life we may encounter and study there? Nope. We're wondering if we can conquer it and go skiing.

Fantastic. :D