Earth like planet found

#1
BBC story

1.5 times bigger than Earth and closer to it's sun than we are to our own, except it's fainter so it'll probably be good for ski resorts only.

With an estimated temp of 0 - 40*C and a crap sun I don't see there being many places like Tenerife.

Anyone want to invest?
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
I'll have a piece of that. It might actually be the planet that Bliar is living on, and if so, I can find him and give him the good news.
 
#3
Pretty sure we can heat up a planet without too much effort these days.

And this one has a 13 day orbit, so you can cram a whole year off into a fortnight. I say it's a winner.
 
#5
apparently its got double our gravity,which might make you ski a bit quicker,but as it will make me about 60stone i think i'll leave the snow sports to you squaddie racing-snake types! :D
 
#6
Can we please send all politicians there, on a one-way rocket? 8) :twisted:

If we hurry, there'll be no need for the May local elections . . . . :D :lol:
 
#7
bigbird67 said:
apparently its got double our gravity,which might make you ski a bit quicker,but as it will make me about 60stone i think i'll leave the snow sports to you squaddie racing-snake types! :D
Doubt it's got twice the gravity seeing as it's only one half bigger.
 
#8
Its 20 light years away, so if all you people who wish to go, best get going now and you could make it in around 400 years?
 
#9
drain_sniffer said:
Its 20 light years away, so if all you people who wish to go, best get going now and you could make it in around 400 years?
Depends how fast you were going.
 
#11
g2_loony_bin said:
Doubt it's got twice the gravity seeing as it's only one half bigger.
More like about 3x the gravity - assuming a similar geological composition to the Earth (a big assumption before any smartarrse points it out :p )

Gravity is proportional to mass, so would depend on the volume, not radius ;)
 
#13
And that close to the star, it's possibly likely to be tidally bound, meaning there's no day and night, one side would be constantly lit, the other constantly dark. Until there's some good spectra taken of it, it's impossible to say how habitable it is......
 
#15
Here we see human nature at work. Are we discussing the weird and wonderful forms of life we may encounter and study there? Nope. We're wondering if we can conquer it and go skiing.

Fantastic. :D
 
#16
There would be FANTASTIC convective activity on that day/night terminator, if it is tidally locked - and just the right temperature for snow - RESULT!

Next thing you know, Branson will be after it.
 
#17
Are there any pubs there? Do they have a good atmosphere?
 
#18
Hope they dont learn how nice it is here or they will all be filling out their immigration papers faster than you can say "ALIENS".....
 
#19
bigbird67 said:
hmmmm.radiation burns anyone???
Don't tell me they have BOWMAN there?
 
#20
spunkymonkey said:
g2_loony_bin said:
Doubt it's got twice the gravity seeing as it's only one half bigger.
More like about 3x the gravity - assuming a similar geological composition to the Earth (a big assumption before any smartarrse points it out :p )

Gravity is proportional to mass, so would depend on the volume, not radius ;)
Surely it would depend on the MASS not the volume.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top