Earth Leakage Trips

My M.I.L's house has a consumer unit with 2 Earth Leakage Trips. She recently had a problem with the kettle which caused one of the them to trip. New kettle, reset trip and all OK.
What I did notice is that, when the trip operated, as well as the kitchen sockets losing power, the upstairs lights went out as well. Is this right, or should I get it looked at?

Thanks,
E_C.

That's nowt, when you pull the shower isolation cord in my bathroom, it also turns off the upstairs lights and the telly socket in the master bedroom. Talk about an utter bodge!

If its RCDs I'd think it was normal.
Buggers are so sensitive here that even when the powers off on a circuit if I'm doing something I can shut down the rest of the house, somewhat annoying if the garage one blows as the breaker is in the loft.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
i put two new LED wall lights up in my studio and a week later i popped up in the dark just to see the LEDs glowing, not full on but glowing . Got a sparkey in and it turns out its a phenomenon oooh. Apparently when the three way wall switches are in a certain configaration electricity , albitit a very small amount , leaks out ofthe live cable just enough to light up the LEDS so i got free nightlights now .

My M.I.L's house has a consumer unit with 2 Earth Leakage Trips. She recently had a problem with the kettle which caused one of the them to trip. New kettle, reset trip and all OK.
What I did notice is that, when the trip operated, as well as the kitchen sockets losing power, the upstairs lights went out as well. Is this right, or should I get it looked at?

Thanks,
E_C.
A earth leakage unit generally feeds Circuit Breakers that are rated to look after ring mains and/or lighting
curcuits, it could be wired so that one E/L feeds the upstairs lighting and
downstairs ring main, the other E/L feeds downstairs lighting and upstairs ring main
so that if one E/L trips you don't loose power and lights together
In your case you lost the ring main but you could see what the freck was going on

Yes its completely normal. The 2 RCD's both protect different cuircits. If one trips then all the cuircits the RCD protects will De energise. This will also happen if you short the neutral conductor to earth even if the particular circuit you are working on has be isolated.

A earth leakage unit generally feeds Circuit Breakers that are rated to look after ring mains and/or lighting
curcuits, it could be wired so that one E/L feeds the upstairs lighting and
downstairs ring main, the other E/L feeds downstairs lighting and upstairs ring main
so that if one E/L trips you don't loose power and lights together
In your case you lost the ring main but you could see what the freck was going on
Thanks anglo and R Sole, my logic told me that there was one trip looking after the socket rings and the other looked after the lighting. It seemed a bit odd for lights and sockets to be on the same trip.

Calling the resident sparky @MrBane
What he tells you do the opposite☺

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Calling the resident sparky @MrBane
What he tells you do the opposite☺
What we're looking at here is the classic RCU problem whereby these units are designed to hampered and impede the flow of electricity into the house in order to reduce demand on the grid.

To overcome this government imposed limit, the best solution is to open the main supply into the house before the meter and fit in a 2ply 3 cord laccy band which you can then run lots of other cables off of, bypassing both the meter and RCU.

Advantages of this are that your meter doesn't run, the electricity is full flow and heating in your home is guaranteed.

MB Electrical Solutions
No job too small, no job too safe.