Earning your wings in contrast to the AACC

I have a few questions regarding the Rifles

Is it possible to take part in pre/parachute training whilst in this regiment and hopefully, earn your wings?

Is it possible to also take part in the AACC?

Can both of these different types of training be done, or is it only possible to earn wings or participate in the AACC?

The Rifles are not part of 16 AA Bde, you can do Pre PARA Ect by all means, however, the chances of getting your jumps are slim, the Bde have priority and a long waiting list due to the lack of big birds!

Moon_Monkey_Spunk said:
The Rifles are not part of 16 AA Bde, you can do Pre PARA Ect by all means, however, the chances of getting your jumps are slim, the Bde have priority and a long waiting list due to the lack of big birds!
Could use me mam if you want?

I may be wrong but could swear I saw some rifles chaps who were commando trained and are part of 3 Commando Brigade?

There were a few rifles lads on the pcoy before mine last month, as the section lists were still up in the squad rooms from the previous course.

Not sure what there motivation for attempting pcoy was though. No beret and a slim chance of getting on a jumps course.

Maybe they would just buy a maroon tshirt or something.

"Contrast" is the right word because they are two very, very different activities requiring slightly different but nonetheless extreme levels of fitness and mental resilience.

I hope this won't turn into a PCoy versus AACC with the usual crop of people who have done neither giving the benefit of their insight...or a description of tee-shirts alleging God is either PARA or RM!

Cuddles said:
"Contrast" is the right word because they are two very, very different activities requiring slightly different but nonetheless extreme levels of fitness and mental resilience.

I hope this won't turn into a PCoy versus AACC with the usual crop of people who have done neither giving the benefit of their insight...or a description of tee-shirts alleging God is either PARA or RM!
conventional wisdom for those seeking to go to 1 Para/SFSG and beyond is to do P Coy.
Being taught how to cook again in the field as on AACC was described to me recently by one rifleman as "f*cking patronising sh1t" and a waste of time

smallbrownprivates said:
Cuddles said:

conventional wisdom for those seeking to go to 1 Para/SFSG and beyond is to do P Coy.
Being taught how to cook again in the field as on AACC was described to me recently by one rifleman as "f*cking patronising sh1t" and a waste of time
You lost my dog, and he's in Paris on the internet.

I'm sure you both have a life somewhere without me.

The_Snail said:
smallbrownprivates said:
Cuddles said:

Yes, I do.
It involves sitting in a desert, near oil rigs, writing Health and Safety Policies.
As you can see, life without you has improved significantly.

How are the midget nuns?

smallbrownprivates said:
Cuddles said:

So what? You bash through it all again on JCC/Cadre/Promotion courses, you stick your hand up for a course so get busy with the content..

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Why not just join the Paras if you want to be infantry and jump out of planes?

RIGRAT said:
There were a few rifles lads on the pcoy before mine last month, as the section lists were still up in the squad rooms from the previous course.

Not sure what there motivation for attempting pcoy was though. No beret and a slim chance of getting on a jumps course.

Maybe they attempted P- Coy in the hope of joining 1Para/SFSG? Which is classed as an attachment to The Parachute Regiment.

joshrichardson said:
I have a few questions regarding the Rifles

Is it possible to take part in pre/parachute training whilst in this regiment and hopefully, earn your wings?

Yes it's possible, but other units are the priority as no Rifles Bn is currently part of the Air Assault Brigade.

Is it possible to also take part in the AACC?

Yes, a Rifles Bn is now part of the Commando Brigade, and therefore I suspect the Soldiers are encouraged to earn their daggers like everyone else in the Brigade.

Can both of these different types of training be done, or is it only possible to earn wings or participate in the AACC?

sneeky_turd said:
RIGRAT said:

Maybe they attempted P- Coy in the hope of joining 1Para/SFSG? Which is classed as an attachment to The Parachute Regiment.
aye, I never thought of that. In fact I didnt realise it worked like that either. Every day is a school day.

Fantastic, thanks for the useful and insightful replies

I hear AACC is only held 4 times a year, is this true? And how is the pass rate for the course?

I'm not actually from any counties that the Rifles supports, but it appeals to me more than Mercian (my local regiment) so would it be advised to just go for the one that attracts me more?

From what I know:

1 Bn The Rifles have been attached to 3 Cdo Bde
In 3 Cdo Bde, the Brigade Recon Force (BRF) is parachute trained
1 PARA(SFSG) gets parachute trained soldiers from other units attached to it when on ops. (including I heard RMs).
Candidates at the PARA depot in ITC(C) have been told that they won't go the RAF Brize Norton until they complete a tour in Afghan.

Para jumps are in the firing line of budget cuts since top brass reckon they're not a priority at the moment.

Last week I read an article from MOD about the purchase of a new para jumping simulator... which imo will replace a portion of the real jumps and ease pressure off the birds.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...ualRealityParachuteTrainersForArmedForces.htm

AACC is held 4 times a year and runs for 7 weeks.

Josh, I take it that you are still in the application process (or prior) and yet to decide about your chosen jobs. If you want to do the Cdo course as an infantry go RM. The rifles option is a bit vague at the moment cos it's still in it's infancy.

Else either go down the other army cdos option:
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/royalma...ments/3-commando-brigade/attached-army-units/

The_Snail said:
smallbrownprivates said:
Cuddles said:

Yes thank the lord, it involves shooting a lot of pigeons and not losing the dog in Paris! Oh and defending the Pope, TM Lewins, Scottish Rugby and the inadvisibility of eating squirrel. A full life indeed.

Never mind the midget nuns, where are the mystic dwarves when you need them/ Loaded onto PPS or possibly doing the beat up for AACC?

rdim said:
From what I know:

1 PARA(SFSG) gets parachute trained soldiers from other units attached to it when on ops. (including I heard RMs).
Candidates at the PARA depot in ITC(C) have been told that they won't go the RAF Brize Norton until they complete a tour in Afghan.
1 PARA has a permanent attachment of Booties and RAF Reg, all are Parachute trained.
Although rare, Line Infantry soldiers can also get attached to the SFSG once they've completed P-Coy, it's classed as an attachment to Para Reg in the same way the Guards Plt in 3 PARA works.
Crows, once out the depot get fired through BPC at Brize ASAP, they don't have to complete an Afghan tour first at all, it's just happened to work out that way recently.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Infantry 15
Taff49 The NAAFI Bar 119
Gas Gas Gas Army Reserve 5