Earning a second wage while on resettlement

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Mugatu2, Jun 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I'm coming up to the end of my time and I have my last day in uniform next month prior to using up my remaining GRT, leave and terminal.

I have had a few interviews for management positions, and this week I've been offered my dream job. They want me to start next month whilst I'm still using up my GRT.
    Now the mob are happy enough with that, they've said I can work as long as I don't take a salary. The admin office have suggested I start for my new company as a "work placement" and negotiate backdated payment for after I've actually left. Unfortunately the new company have said no, they'd rather pay me right from the start. Their view is that as long as we are up front with the tax man regarding two wages, then everything's covered.

I've talked it through with my boss and he suggests just getting on with starting with the new company whilst on leave, his thoughts being that we're only talking a couple of months and the admin system will never know anyway.

My question is, if I do earn a second salary, do the mob necessarily get to know about it, and is there any penalty (loss of pension etc) for breaking this slightly restrictive and illogical rule?

Thanks for any advice offered from anyone who has been in this position.

2. Nope, you'll be fine. You'll just get stung for extra income tax etc.

The Army also has no right to tell you not to take another paid job once you're out the door. *****.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I did just this - started my new job on 1 Nov, actually left the Army the following 16 Jan. Took a salary from Day 1, paid OUCH tax on it, but no dramas altogether - certainly, the Army didn't seem to mind at the time that I was double dipping (although I admit I didn't go out of my way to make them aware of it). Bear in mind this was 12 years ago, though, so the rules may well have changed.

4. There's nothing the Army can do about it. You're leaving so go for it. The tax will be horrendous for a while but once you're free of the Army you'll still be in your dream job.

5. It was a long time ago, but I had a two week overlap of salaries after PVRing. Never entered my head to tell anybody about it and certainly there was no cross-communication. As long as the tax is ultimately paid, you are legal with the revenue. Your boss is right - just do it. It is easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

6. Just do it. I was running my own company on the side for three years before I came out.

7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I did it, started my job when on gardening leave prior to terminal leave. Just told new bosses the score & they taxed me at BR. No problems at all.

8. Oh!...And good luck!

9. Yeah good luck for the future! One of the things to remember when you hit civvy st is that nobody gives a flying f about what you do unless it affects them or is illegal - and most people dont gaf about the latter either.

10. I did Agency Driving while I was looking for a permanent position, I was getting paid by HMG and the Agency, nobody batted an eyelid as long as the taxman got his pound of flesh.

11. Isn't there a para in QR's or AGAI's that covered 'additional' work. CO gives permission etc. Anyway don't forget to reclaim additional NI contributions as you'll pay on both incomes, there is a max limit. You have to claim back at end of financial year. Keep both P60's as proof of payment.

12. QR J5.076 refers

13. Go for it. I did it for 3 months - but as stated already the tax and NI will hit hard. Good luck.

14. Thanks everyone, it's nice to get some opinions on this, after all you only do it once. I appreciate the input.

It's funny that it's been mentioned that civvy companies don't really care what went on in your military life with the exception of work experiences and quals. After 2 interviews and a chat with the MD, not one person has aksed what rank I was / am. They don't understand rank and don't even want to.
    The MD remarked that he had an impression that military people are very "by the book" and that it seems a heirarchical system, but really all he wanted to know was that I could adapt to a more flexible informal environment.

15. But more I think in there! What ever crap is in the news about companies getting fined for - expect to be on a training course for it within 6 months! Remember, most companies in civvie street poo their pants over anything and run around like headless chickens. If you didn't do it, then don't bother stressing over it! Let everyone else panic!