Early Service Leavers for BBC documentary

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DomBBC, Jan 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I'm a producer at BBC Birmingham making a film looking at problems faced by Early Service Leavers, due to the much reduced levels of support and help given when going back to civilian life. If you were an ESL I'd really appreciate hearing from you about what your experiences were when it came to leaving the forces. I can be reached at - dominic.carveley@bbc.co.uk I've already spoken to the administrator - Bad CO - who's approved puting this posting up. Thanks very much.

2. I just wondered what support you would get from the BBC if you decided to leave them after 10-20 years...do they give you CTW, interview and CV advice, Resettlement advice ???

Just a quick question as Im sure service leavers get a far better package when deciding to move on than the BBC would give you so where do you get this REDUCED level of support idea from???

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I left after just 6 years and I was more than happy with the support I received:

3 day CV and interview workshop including travel costs.

Just over £500 plus travel, food and accommodation allowance to retrain for a different job, in the end this equated to around £1700.

**** loads of paid time off to do courses and look for jobs etc. I think you officially get a week but I managed to blag tons more.

Free use of internet, during work time, to look for a new job.

Free medical and dental check up prior to leaving.

Enhanced Learning Credits equating to £3000.

Cheers ******* easy.

Added to the fact that from the day I put my notice in, I did literally no work for an entire year and still got paid, I'd say my overall experience was rather satisfactory.

For a small fee though, I'll be more than happy to go on your TV program and say I'm now a crack addled rent boy living under the platform at Victoria Station and it's all because the mob fucked me over.

4. He's on about those who leave the service early - ahead of the big plan - for whatever reason. Usually those who have fkd up in some trivial way. They tend not to be entitled to all the jazz a normal service leaver would get and therefore land in civi street totally unprepared for whats to come.

Of course, if they hadnt fkd up in the first place they wouldn't be in that position - clearly it then becomes the MoDs fault...

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I'm leaving early Thursday and I am getting a lift home.

Hope that helps.

6. Going anywhere near Southampton?

7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Nope, but might be this weekend or next.

8. Ravers

Is he? It just said early service leaver. Surely that is anyone who left before completing their 22 years?

Otherwise it would only really apply to people who have been sacked, in which case, **** 'em.

9. Yes but all those who fulfill the minimum part of their contract are entitled to some kind of help....I bet more than Dom gets offered from BBC.

3 Day week B&T, didnt know you were on extended hours now mate.

10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Hardly. Friday I'm going sick!

11. He is mate - it's a whole division of Service Leaver with the emphasis on Early (ESL). There's even special regulations and checklists that need to be completed and ticked in order to make sure ESLs are looked after as the toddle off to civi street...

12. I think the minimum period to qualify for normal resettlement package is 5 years (need to check). However, the ESL is 'entitled' to nothing and therefore becomes vulnerable - hence the ESL package.

13. Ravers

Really? Fair do's, I bow to your superior knowledge.

Anyway back on thread:

Dom, how much will I get for my performance on this program? I'm happy to do it if you blank out my face and give me a digitally altered voice, like Andy McNab, for 100 notes. If you want me to nosh anyone off or snort mainline it will be extra. I know someone with a really shitty council flat that we can film in if it's any help.

Anyway let me know what you think.

14. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Your not using my gaff unless I get a cut.

15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Do you ever get the feeling that they were TRYING to get rid of you and more than happy to ease you out the door? :)