Early Release scheme to end

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Night_Turn, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Jack Straw has announced that the Early release Scheme for prisoners is to end. Common sense or electioneering?.

2. I'd like to think it is just common sense, or simply justice. But, it's not, you're right, the only thing this is aimed at is the May election.
  3. It would also help if the courts applied the sentencing guidelines correctly. The amount of people who rock up at court on the day of the trial and plead guilty is unbelievable. As per the guidelines they are still entitled to a reduction in sentence for an " early" guilty plea. Upto 1/10 infact, this after the months of waiting for the victims and witnesses and the anguish over having to give evidence. Plus the watse to the tax payer in terms of file preparation by the police, attendance at court by the investigating officers and case preparation by the prosecution. Many seem to get more than the 1/10 for pleading at the court door. A good deal if you ask me.
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

same as with the forces compensation for injury on ops - they've blithely ignored everyone for years, with an election months away suddenly it's top of the 'to-do' list.

beneath contempt.
  5. Pardon me for NOT holding my breath. If Jack "Man Of" Straw promises something, it's a fair bet it ain't gonna happen.

I still boak when I remember him trying to suck up to Muslim voters..."Inshallah", FFS.
  6. Nothing whatsoever to do with an election being in the offing - no Sir!
  7. I am no great fan of the Labour Party and this current Government, but to be honest, I think this is a non-story. A quick read of The Times reveals a couple of points:

The first point is that these prisoners were released just 18 days early – in real terms, nothing. The second point is that they were all serving less than 4 years and for non-violent offences. Now that there are spaces in prison available, the scheme ends. I see it as just sensible (I know, I know – me calling a Government decision sensible – whatever next) management of available resources. I can’t see riots in Strangeways because Terry the Twoccer has to stay in for an extra 18 days.
  8. Erm....."non-serious violent offences"

Would like to know what these are....