Early morning drives around Paris.

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Proximo, Apr 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On an August morning in 1978, French filmmaker Claude Lelouch mounted a gyro-stabilized camera to the bumper of a Ferrari 275 GTB and had a friend, a professional Formula 1 racer, drive at breakneck speed through the heart of Paris. The film was limited for technical reasons to 10 minutes; the course was from Porte Dauphine, through the Louvre, to the Basilica of Sacre Coeur.

No streets were closed, for Lelouch was unable to obtain a permit.

The driver completed the course in about 9 minutes, reaching nearly 140 MPH in some stretches. The footage reveals him running real red lights, nearly hitting real pedestrians, and driving the wrong way up real one-way streets.

Upon showing the film in public for the first time, Lelouch was arrested. He has never revealed the identity of the driver, and the film went underground until a DVD release a few years ago.

This is a Googlefilm copy of the original Spirit Level film.

Enjoy it
  2. Awesome, bet the pedestrian was wearing his brown trousers afterwards!
  3. Once you know it's all pukka and not done with special effects, the RPF (Ring Pucker Factor) of the film is very high.
    It makes me wonder if anybody would try it in this day and age. If that would be suicidal, I vote for Phoney Tony being the driver!

P.S. Is there any way to download it onto your own computer, Darth?
  4. Sounds awesome but I aint convinced he's goin that fast. Looks like he's only doin about 40 when he's overtaking them motors on the champs el.....eyl....long road in France.
  5. Bugsy - click on the 'Download' button and it will save to your HD.

You will need to make shure you have the relevant interfaces and so forth - you may need to re-visit the Google Video site and install some bits and pieces.

It saves as a .gvp file.
  6. Aah, that's got it! I didn't see that "Download" button first time around.
    Thanks, Darth. :D :D :D

7. Truely excellent, its the only way to drive in Paris, get going and keep it agressive. I actually enjoy driving there, once you get to know the streets, its every man for himself :D The bit through the arches by the Louvre is a great place to stop and eat your sandwiches. Also if you are inclined there is a MacDonalds just around to the right when you come out of the arch, but be aware, after dark its full of junkies and thieves.
  8. I have some videos of guys on superbikes doing the M25, Not sure if I can find hosting for them though, my computer is a bit slow.
  9. Bah! It's nothing that can't be done by an illegal Nigerian cabbie in the West End on any given Saturday night!
  10. For similar type antics try Ghostrider DVD's
    mostly made in Scandanavia, featuring an un-named motorcyclist on a Turbo Hyabusa and sometimes GSXR1000
    All on public roads and speed over 200mph in places
  11. Right, I quite enjoyed that.

however, a Formula One driver? Hmmm.

I know F1 drivers have their own system, based on the fact that they drive in a vacuum (i.e. the only other people on the grid are other F1 drivers) but this guy breaks every rule of advanced driving in that piece.

Advanced Drivers are taught the "System of Car Control" and although it's a UK police system it's familiar to people who drive fast for a living all over the world and has been for years.

This is:

Information; Position; Speed; Gear; and Acceleration. Didn't see much of this system except excessive acceleration!

Now I'm not a car boffin and I'm assuming he was driving an automatic (it sounded like it anyway). Although the early part of the route was clearly chosen for it's ease for high speed driving (much of the first four or five minutes looked, actually, less bonkers than you might think for a skilled Advanced Driver) the point at about 7.30 minutes onwards is simply suicidal/ homicidal. That nobody was killed was a miracle.

For me the thing that makes the exercise inexcusable was the driver's apparent reflex and not planned response to hazards, especially the red lights. You'd expect to see some structured "slow in/ fast out" approaches to those but this lunatic just kamikaze'd his way through them. Utterly astonishing. F1 drivers are clearly Jedi on racetracks; not so on public roads.

Cheers for the link, will forward it to lots of people who will find it fascinating!
  12. Veg, you have to realise that this was 1978! Automatic transmission in Europe in those days was something for people missing limbs.

I took part in amateur rallys and hill-climbs for many years, and I can't see any reason to fault the incredible performance of the driver. Listen to the way the s/he double-declutches her/his downshifts and you'll realise that this is a stickshift motor driven by someone who really knows what s/he's doing!
    I happen to know a few DTW and German Rally drivers and their reflexes are something to behold.
    I agree that the whole project was utter "Wahnsinn" (i.e. completye fückin' whappy), but, the driver was certainly at the top of her/his game and s/he was absolutely fantastic!

13. Darth, were do you find these? Surperb!
  14. Gunny - it's amazing what you'll do when the alternative is looking at Counter Insurgency operations.... :)