Early Dementia Self Recognition?

Earlier this week I decided to go shopping with Major Sunray after dropping Minor Sunray off at her sports club.
As we were that side of town it was big Aldi which shares the car park with all the usual suspects.
So we do the shop and I discover at the till my wallet isnt in my pocket after all (thankfully there's the 'card' on my phone) and head out to the car.

My car isnt where I parked it, or it isnt where I parked it 2 weeks ago when me and Minor Sunray went to the same shop and she wanted to look round TK Max. Major Sunray calls me stupid and points out the car 3 rows over backed against a central walkway. I return the trolley to the store front using the walkway which I had to lift the trolley up onto and return to my car...yep where I parked it 2 weeks ago.

52 this year, but don't think I'm heading down the route of my Mother, her dementia is alcohol and cigar based.

It's taking that moment to register before moving on - we are too busy rushing now to do so. Causes me no end of unneccessary minor grief. In contrast if , beofre leaving, I stand in front of the door having checked it and run through a list of the things checked, locked, turned off or on problem solved. Checklist - clue's in the name.

Earlier this week I decided to go shopping with Major Sunray after dropping Minor Sunray off at her sports club.
As we were that side of town it was big Aldi which shares the car park with all the usual suspects.
So we do the shop and I discover at the till my wallet isnt in my pocket after all (thankfully there's the 'card' on my phone) and head out to the car.

My car isnt where I parked it, or it isnt where I parked it 2 weeks ago when me and Minor Sunray went to the same shop and she wanted to look round TK Max. Major Sunray calls me stupid and points out the car 3 rows over backed against a central walkway. I return the trolley to the store front using the walkway which I had to lift the trolley up onto and return to my car...yep where I parked it 2 weeks ago.

52 this year, but don't think I'm heading down the route of my Mother, her dementia is alcohol and cigar based.

Some years back a friend parked his car up in a multi story carpark, returned, and spent two hours looking for it; he says he questioned his own sanity.

Eventually it dawned on him that it had been stolen.

I get paid to photograph running races; it's more of a hobby job than a full time occupation, but it's nice to be paid to do your hobby.

Anyway, I turned up to a race the Sunday before last; I had all the correct equipment with me, memory cards formatted, batteries charged and raring to go.

Unfortunately the only thing indicating a race was on was the portaloos; there wasn't a runner in sight.

So I googled the race and found out it was the day prior, ffs.

I honestly couldn't believe I'd prepped all my kit, got up at a sparrows fart, drove for two hours, and I'd missed the race because it was the day prior.

I also seem to be struggling to take the right kit to the gym. I like to shower there after. If I don't forget my towel it's my washbag. If I have my towel and washbag it's an item of clothing to change into. If I remember it all, get showered and go home, I return to the gym to collect my phone which I've left there.
checklists.

I stand up, hit my pockets; cash, wallet, phone, keys. Eventually my son, having lost umpteen phones and wallets, admitted that it works.

My wife has spent all our married life wondering where her keys/phone/purse are. Her daughters have a version of hitting the pockets.

on the other hand I have lost count of the number of times that I have double booked myself. Google calendar has helped.

2000AD

War Hero
checklists.

I stand up, hit my pockets; cash, wallet, phone, keys. Eventually my son, having lost umpteen phones and wallets, admitted that it works.

My wife has spent all our married life wondering where her keys/phone/purse are. Her daughters have a version of hitting the pockets.

on the other hand I have lost count of the number of times that I have double booked myself. Google calendar has helped.
Spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch.

It's a check that has stood me in good stead for many years.

Some years back a friend parked his car up in a multi story carpark, returned, and spent two hours looking for it; he says he questioned his own sanity.

Eventually it dawned on him that it had been stolen.
It used to be a fairly regular call whenever some event was ongoing round here which attracted tourists.

Cars for the most part are pretty hard to nick without a key and the vehicle was always found a few streets away from where the retired tourist had parked it.

I spent 10mins about 5 years ago walking round the ASDAsis carpark looking for my car, I always park in roughly the same spot, when it wasn't there my brain wasn't giving any clues at all and I found it parked somewhere I'd never parked before. Driving is kinda automatic, think how much thought you needed to put in when it was all mirror signal manoeuvre and CBA -I had to think then where the brake is.

Spectacles, testicles, wallet, watch.

It's a check that has stood me in good stead for many years.
Did you just assume your gender? Tut. tut! :-o

Could just be you getting old mate.
just WHY did I put my reading glasses in the fridge?

After a half hour of my ranting and cursing because I cannot find mine, my missus always spots them either in my hand or on the top of my head... never in the fridge!!!!

Ergo, one concludes that he is a young and vital 65, going on 16, whereas you, in comparison, are an old and helplessly demented spakker, ha ha ha ha :muhaha:

Time for my fourth nap of the morning byezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

@postman_tw@t I have always had memory retention problems too, which seem to get worse as I get older, but that is just ageing (and bl00dy annoying), not cognitive degradation.

2000AD

War Hero
Did you just assume your gender? Tut. tut! :-o
So far as I can understand, an individual can indeed assume their own gender, however others cannot make assumtions for you.

I believe it's called "ones own lived experience" or some such new age bollox.

So there. Ner ner nee ner ner

964ST

LE
I think a fairly good sign for „Early Dementia Self Recognition?“ is if you Plonk yourself on the Couch and see that „Independance Day“ is on the telly and say to your family „Thank goodness a film we have not seen before!“.

I think a fairly good sign for „Early Dementia Self Recognition?“ is if you Plonk yourself on the Couch and see that „Independance Day“ is on the telly and say to your family „Thank goodness a film we have not seen before!“.
Unless it's Braveheart, especially North of The Wall, then you are well and truly furk ed, big time.

Latest Threads