Early de-mob question

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by the_beer_man, Nov 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you are de-mobbed earlie than 1st told (as in a mass, no longer needed de-mob) is it just a case of "Thanks for your time now **** off back to civvy st" or do they pay you out? Seeing as there are a few people who have no job to go back to due to thier company hiring in a replacement for the length of thier mobilisation. Gen question so would appreciate an answer from someone who has been through this.

Thanks.

2. No you just get demobbed and thats it. In your call out notice it highlights that the length of your contract is 12 months usually but that it can be ended early if they don't need you anymore. So yes unfortunately for you it's a case of thanks for your time now **** off!

3. Winner. Sometimes I really do love working for an organisation that treats its people so well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The employer is required to re-engage the reservist on demobilisation, even if that happens earlier than anticipated. The reservist needs to take the required steps to inform their employer of their wish to return to work.

Whether the employer sacks the person hired is as a replacement up to them (and is subject to their contract with that person).

The situation is similar to (but obviously less miserable than) one where a woman takes maternity leave but the baby dies and she decides to return to work earlier than anticipated. Such situations do arise and employers do cope.

So, really, it's the employer and the poor temp who are being fcked around by the MOD here, although obviously it makes the reservist appear "difficult" and the Army appear like a bunch of c*nts who could not organise their way out of a paper bag.* Unlike the scenario with the baby, this is not an Act of God - it's an Act of Numpty.

An alternative practical option to returning to work early is to leave that situation as it stands, keep the anticipated return date, and see if your unit will employ you on an ADC contract for the remainder of the period you would have been mobilised. Much will depend on your TA level of pay under ADC (with no reservist top-up) when compared with your civilian one.

* In fact, given that the MOD is desperately trying to keep employers sweet at the moment about changes to the way the Reserves are going to be used, it might be worthwhile flagging the bad PR consequences of this with SaBRE and your chain of command in order to see if you can be kept mobilised for the full anticipated period.

5. If the MOD wants to exercise the legal power to call reservists up then all parties involved need to be protected. From my point of view, I have accepted a certain amount of loss of income, professional advancement and reputation to respond to the call when it comes. If the MOD decide to send me home I would have lost a lot for the MOD and gained nothing. Meanwhile my employer has been royally messed about by my reserve service-handing over, hiring a temp, accepting a drop in productivity with a new employee, HR admin time, etc. I absolutely disagree with the way the system is administrated, right down to doing medicals at RTMC rather than, say a month before mobilisation, so failures report for duty and are then sent home.

I am happy to volunteer but if this happened to me I would make sure it happened very publicly.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Pretty much what I expected then. As I got quoted by my OC yesterday "This is what happens in the REAL army". I love choppers like that. He then went on to spout off some shit about his 'duty of care to me' as I'm still receiving treatment for an injury sustained (not enough to fly me home but enough to casevac me from my PB) but wouldn't expand on that. Looks like back to the real world then unless I can wangle something when I'm back in the UK. SABRE, by the way, don't return calls or emails so I'm not expecting any help from them. The big thing that occurs to me is that if the TA are supposed to be increasing in numbers and, therefore, deployments, how on earth will people volunteer if they know this shit is going on?? It's really dented my opinion on volunteering again.

7. What unit you attached to?

8. Good leadership like that grips my shit. What military academy did he go to? Bollocks it happens in the 'real army'.

9. You need a copy of JSP532 which you ll get on demobbing. This tells you how to go about claiming back your civvy jobs and your rights.

10. Beer Man, are you sure that your STAB chain of command is aware that you have been injured and that the unit you have deployed with is intending to send you home early?

You should check this. Don't assume that the regular unit you are with has informed your TA unit, still less your subunit OC.

Your regular unit is supposed to inform your TA unit of your injury and early demob but that info is probably sitting in the Adj's inbox, if it has been sent at all.

The fact that your injury still requires treatment may mean that you should or could remain mobilised (but back in the UK receiving treatment) until the injury is resolved.

Someone in your TA unit needs to be pushing to make sure that your reg unit does not demobilise you too early. Engage with them now, to prevent things from happening (such as premature demob) which will be hard to unwind.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Interested to have a bit more detail - you mention a mass demob "no longer required" - how many others are involved ? I'm amazed that a unit in theatre would be back-loading people like that. How much longer have they got on tour ?

12. The Reserve Forces Act 1996 Sect 34(1)(2) ".....shall be released from service with all convenient speed.....". That's the law and miserable as it may sound to the Reservists who is coming home early, it's there for a reason.

Op H is under RFA 96, Sect 54 which gives the Reservist 12 months. RFA 96 Sect 38 - release with all convenient speed etc -will also apply to those Ops which could last for years e.g. under Sect 52 (Armaggedon coming to a location near you).

It is also an assurance that the Govt can't keep you mobilised for ever and an assurance to the tax payer that the army isn't keeping the reservist twiddling his or her thumbs unecessarily. This part of RFA 96 came over from RFA 80 and earlier Acts and was designed so as not to denude UK industry of sections of their work force for too long. Sadly the Act does not now reflect the original assurance requirements.

Sadly, the reservists cannot simply do the rest of his mobilised time in the TA Centre. This is because he would be consuming money out of the Op H budget and, if in receipt of a Reservist Award under SI 859/2005, he will also continue get that. In addition, the employer will also continue to receive certain amounts under the same SI - a double whammy for defence in budget terms.

Down to dosh again, I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 1