Early Christmas Present To Service Families

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MOD_Oracle, Oct 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Obviously, a Serviceman is just for Christmas, not the rest of the year.

Families don't miss them the rest of the time. It's a start at least.

2. There has to be a catch?

Oh it will probably be paid for by next years x factor award! mixed with our 1.3% pay rise staged 15 times over the next 25 years.

3. A cynical media ploy over the festive season? :roll:

4. Watch this space for a cut in the Operational Welfare Package or whatever the cutback seperation allowance is called now...

5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

But why is it a one-way service. I realise that there may not be much to buy in EyeRaq or Ghanisatn but is it not good also for the kids to receive a present from Dad (or Mum) on Christmas Day?

6. The postal service would be overwhelmed by the human-shaped parcels addressed to "home"! :twisted:

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Puts a different slant on 'Sealed with a Kiss' !

Or would this be known as a 'Home Posting'?

8. Does this apply to the Falklands??

STH

9. Cynical ploy though i know it is... i still think 'about time'.

It was particularly useful to me last year when i was sent the world's amount of cr*p from home and friends.

A real and genuine morale boost.

I agree that there should be a reciprical service for those of us serving away at that time of year. (Families are always in need of more sand for the sandpit at home!!!)

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Makes me feel valued. Oh hang on reality just set in. We've just had our LOA cut in Cyprus, as childless couple - on the grounds that the cost of childcare in the UK has gone down so phuq U MOD.

The 2 may not be related, but to have this pri ck telling us that Xmas is coming early just as our pay is cut is a bit rich!

11. Send what you like out there, BUT, the challenge will be: will the Crabs let you bring it home?

Why only for Christmas? I say extend the 'Bluey' service for parcels.

It must also include Northern Ireland, Afghanistan, Falklands, Sierra Leone, etc to be a credible policy, not just a headline grabber!

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

When Telic started, the postal service was free. The MoD clearly thought that those deploying on subsequent tours would need parcels and letters from home less, and chopped the service. So, this latest announcement is not new, it's merely restoring, for a short period, something which should never have been taken away.

Given the debacle over delivery of ballot papers, let's hope the BFPO can cope!

As to sending parcels back to UK, I would happily pay to send small parcels back to UK, particularly if each one contained a little piece of a cabinet minister!

13. They should never have started charging for packages to be sent in the first place!

(As I said in a letter to my MP at the time)