Early Ambush Light - Anyone Identify?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Rooper, May 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One of the local guys at our place brought in what looks to be an early form of Ambush Light or possible electrical trip flare.

As you can see by the pictures it's housed in a wooden box with a trip mechanism, a bulb and a space for a battery. It also has a couple of ways that it could be secured to surrounding objects.

Inside the lid of the box there is a small stamp of a crown and 1818, not that I think for one minute that it dates back to then!

Anyone have any ideas what it is, when it dates from etc?

Attached Files:

2. It,s a light which was used by 81mm mortars when firing at night(prior to the trilux ones).
    The box was secured at the base of the aiming post, lamp clamped to the post a quarter of the way down from the top.
    The line was threaded down from the lamp,through the box and out to the mortar from where it was controlled by the number one on the mortar.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Google "Lamp Electric Number 1" for more info. Though they did have numbers 1 through 4.

They were also used on the Vickers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Does anybody remember the ambush light "recipe" which appeared in BAR in the early eighties? Car battery, car headlamp and an old ammo box? Many a fox had his final surprise thanks to that design - courtesy of one of the DS at Warminster.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks guys, I knew someone on here would be able to solve the mystery!

6. An ahem, 'blinding ' idea.....seen them last used circa 1992 by a Gordon Highlander DS....I decided that the phrase of 'Never initiate an Ambush with light' was a waste of time.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I liked the posh green ambush lights with IR filters, the enemy didnt even know they were surprised!