Earing defence

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Lizard_Lips, Mar 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently found out that there is a mortar platoon specific type of hearing defence.

Does anyone have any details of this or an nsn?
  2. Same as tanky ear defs? If I wasn't buckled I'd dig through the cupboard and find mine and post it. Ask again when I'm sober. Maybe Tuesday after tomrrow's rugger all day session...
  3. Simple, don't wear them.
  4. Are we talking the Peltor electronic ear defenders? If so, send me a PM and I will email an NSN on Monday when I am back in the office.
  5. i got issued them acoustic solutions electric ear defence for herrick

shite - no-one used them
  6. The Peltor ones are the mutts mucker.
  7. Wouldn't the new PIHP ones be the best?
  8. Fair one on the PIHP.Are they rated for use with mortars?
  9. If we are referring to those ear raping insert plugs that have been issued out lately, then yes they are fine for use with mortars.
  10. For anybody who doesn't get on with what's issued, SureFire make an interesting set. They have tunnels in that allow you to hear people talking to you but once everything gets mental loud they block it out.

We use them at work, hanging in front of massive speakers that pump air across big rooms at very high volumes, often adjusting some lighting with head about 12" in front of wembley-size speaker stack when some clever cloggs engineer decides to play a Prodigy tune to 'check the system'. They do a pretty good job of keeping you from going deaf.

I've never tried them with weapons but I'd imagine they do alright. A kick drum coming through an NEC or Wembley arena system when you're stood 1 or 2 feet in front of the speakers is probably a similar kind of sound, if not louder.
  11. Being a minor expert on acquired deafness, note that very loud noise can pass through the bone behind the ears and still cause hearing loss. The only defence against this sort of noise is to wear earmuffs. Or get someone else to do the job for you.
  12. quite possibly, but the inherant inability to talk to each other when loud noises aren't going on is present.

they do give us headsets with mics so we can talk to each other PRR styley but a) we seldom have a free hand, and b) the attenuation on the earmuffs is shoite.