Ear defence?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BBear, Nov 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Doing a fair bit of shooting recently, and am currently using the issue green ear muffs. However, I can feel the effects of getting the general up as quickly as possible and giving it big licks.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of E D's? I beg complete innocence on the subject! Can be either ear muff type or smaller, basically after something that will block out the bangs and let in voices.

Thanks in advance!
  2. I will admit I don't do much shooting any more, but I do work in close proximity to very loud sound sources (a drummer hitting a kick drum amplified through a system designed for 60-70,000 people is pretty loud) and my favourite ear defence is actually designed for the military.

They are the Surefire EP4

I find them ideal because they have 3 selectable levels of attenutation. Leave the plug out, and you get a nice amount of attenuation if you want to watch your ears but want tacticalness (think blankfire SA80 in FIBUA - loud enough to do damage over prolonged time but not very loud, and the ability to hear orders would be good), as the loudest stuff is blocked but voices go straight through. For a bit of extra attenuation but losing a bit of the hearing ability (perhaps, on the range - where all commands will be at volume, but the rounds are louder), you can put the plug into the earpiece but leave the cap off, leaving still a tube within the plug. Then, for all out ear defence with no 'quiet sounds' ability, you can put a cap over the plug, and seal them off altogether. I use this when I'm working alone near speakers, or simply when in a loud gig, as it's very loud noise and prolonged. However, EVEN in that mode, if you press on the earpiece and push it inwards, it will allow sound in well. So, if you want complete attenuation but somebody comes up to speak to you, you can push one earpiece in and you will hear them fine.

I think I paid about £40 a few years ago, I have no idea what they go for now. But I totally recommend them. The plugs are even colour coded so you can quickly tell which one is for which ear; and the tub they come in is strong (been stood on a few times) and waterproof sealed, so for field use you could submerge them and not worry about ear infections.

They're not as good as the 'active' EDs (battery powered things) for filtering out loud but keeping quiet, but of all the 'passive' ear plugs I've gone through in the last 3-4 years these are definitely my favourite, and I will certainly replace them with the same again when I've either lost them or just worn through them.
  3. Swanky and the dogs nuts. What do the army actually issue these days to defend Soldiers ears? We used to have these little flesh coloured bits of rubberised things which we stuck in little plastic cylinders with a chain on them to attache to our gear somewhere when we were on the ranges. They worked really well and I recall learning a painfull personal lesson when firing a 2" mortar without ear defenders which forever after caused me to make sure I always had them on my person when firing weapons on the ranges.
  4. In theatre, people have some gucci Racal ones which are 'active' in design I believe (use electronics to filter out loud noises), whilst in the UK, they obviously have the green over-ear muffs (Peltors) and then they have some little double ended 'Christmas Tree' ear plugs. One end is green, the other yellow. I'm not sure if there an attenuation difference between either end, or if it is simply a measure of 'Green for tacticalness in the field, and yellow so RCOs can clearly see everyone is wearing plugs'.

I came across some ancient ear plugs issued to the RA in the 70s or so. They were made of rubber and nearly solid. God knows how you were supposed to get them in your ear, but from the feel of them if you had anything other than an Army issue ear canal, you were screwed.
  5. If you use some of those little roll-up ear plugs (the brand is E.A.R. and you can get them in the places that sell Personal Protective Eqpt) underneath your Peltors, that will help both prevent the ingress of sound waves, and help absorb the shock that passes through your tissues.

You could also get a pair of more substantial Peltors. They do a number of different grades, and the ones used on ranges are normally the slimline 'Shotgunner' model. The ones with larger cans and more air space/padding do a better job.
  6. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Okay, cheers fellas. Those surefire ones seem the way to go. Thanks
  7. If your wearing them with the yellow side showing that side is a solid plug for use in warehouse's or operating machinery. If you turn them round there is a small hole running through the plug designed to block out sudden loud noise's (eg gunfire) but allowing shouted orders through a bit like the SF EP4 shown above