E10 Inbound. Attention older car and bike riders.

E5 has been bad enough in small aeroplanes Christ knows what the new stuff will throw up.
ive come across loads of fuel hose ( mostly Trellborg come to think of it) rated for unleaded , that has badly cracked on bends at less than 4 year old.
The trouble I’m told is a combination of the “ green” plasticisers they are allowed to use in the rubber now aren’t nearly as stable as the old stuff.
combined with alcohol molecules being much smaller than long chain Hydrocarbons and hence much easeyer to leach through the rubber , taking the crap plasticiser with it.

Ethanol-free fuel can be bought off the shelf, about four quid a litre. Useful when you didn't winterise your chainsaw or outboard last year. Spent a day carb cleaning last years unleaded, won't happen again and these engines only sip fuel.

Chuck a litre of water into a gallon of E5/10, shake vigorously, leave to stand, the water soaks up the ethanol, drain off water/ethanol.

posted Purely for educational purposes

Following the replacement of fuel lines and de gunking / crap from carb parts on ca couple of garden tools and 2 petrol gennys We decide to give this de-ethonalisation a go , following some "testing" We are going to use the de-ethanolised petrol in the mower and brushcutter first and see if there is any change in performance.
Testing, simply igniting a sample of fuel, the original E10 ignited ok, but the treated fuel certainly had more of a "woof" to it.

DirtbagCivvy

Old-Salt
Chuck a litre of water into a gallon of E5/10, shake vigorously, leave to stand, the water soaks up the ethanol, drain off water/ethanol.

Came here to point this out, then you can add lead additive and use that in older pre-unleaded cars too.
Luckily I checked online and my bike is apparently safe on it, and the new merc the wife has already said it was safe for e10 too.
Also some places still have e5 and (I think) all the super unleaded is staying as e5.
The e10 stinks if you’re following it you can smell the extra ethanol in it.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
'Least I could reach the pedals ya knutwit!
My 07 MX5 is ok, i'm pleased to say, but will need to check the petrol strimmer and hedge cutter.

E10 is going to do the sum of sweet FA for CO2, and because ethanol is less efficient than octane and other long chain hydrocarbons your fuel consumption will increase slightly.

After the absolute 'mare I had with oxygen sensor fault codes in my Jaaaag and the ex's M3, I'm sticking with Super U.

My W221 S350CDi AMG went totally bonkers the time I was forced to put Tesco diesel in it. EML came on, and the dash was telling me "VISIT WORKSHOP!"

My 07 MX5 is ok, i'm pleased to say, but will need to check the petrol strimmer and hedge cutter.

E10 is going to do the sum of sweet FA for CO2, and because ethanol is less efficient than octane and other long chain hydrocarbons your fuel consumption will increase slightly.
Used 5 prices across the NA/NB/ (NC = yours) and NDs are going stupid.
Sellers' market & rose tinted lemming buyers' non-market...the wqnks.
Just saying...if you had a mind soon to sell up. General feedback from dealers is there will be no more boats of Hiroshima NDs for 2022 even.
Mazda are focusing on using any circuit chips they can get on mainstream stuff..but even they are badly delayed.
Some Toyotas are 40% down on production already.
As for E10 bla bla, I'm just pumping 99RON into both my 27 years old Mk1, and our 2002 Sport as I've done for years.
If it fukks 'em a bit which I doubt I'll fix it.
Trouble is with them you have to drop the rear subframes to get the fuel tanks out!

Also a problem if it is left in a tank too long ... Ie classic cars which don't get used daily.
Absorbs mousure, which makes your engine go horribly wobbly and coughy.
Exactly,
TBH, both out 5's are just ad-hoc fun sunny day cars in retirement.
To this end, neither hardly has more than 30% fuel...which means they get topped up a lot.
Or let's say mine is going to Skye & back, it'll get filled at home, drained clearly ( small tanks) and topped up on return.
It's not rocket science really is it?
Based on what you said TBH.

I don't want to doubt this - but anything with water in fuel gives me the fear

Managed properly it's not an issue.
Hence water-injected supercharging.
But water in fuel drawn into the combustion process by accident eg bow wave stupidities...oh dearly dearly £££££ me!
1629631845445.png

Last edited:
I was of this mindset too , but having done this it seems to work. careful measuring confirms.
As an extra level the resultant the processed fuel is put through a "Mr Fuel" filter, an excellent bit of kit for removing water and other non fuel crud.
The ethanol free fuel burns better and is quite noticeable in the chain saws , brush cutter, paramotor and portable gennys.
I would still preffer that I could get ethanol free petrol locally Aberdeen is the nearest atm.

Managed properly it's not an issue.
Hence water-injected supercharging.
I'm sure you're right

...but I have had to clean up fuel and fuel tanks from water contamination using rubbing alcohol - and it was a massive pain!
Will look into more. Thanks for highlighting the issue though

I'm sure you're right

...but I have had to clean up fuel and fuel tanks from water contamination using rubbing alcohol - and it was a massive pain!
Will look into more. Thanks for highlighting the issue though
You a Weegie West Endy perchance?
I was brought up off Byres Rd...Ashton Road...before it was knocked down by the Uni.

Just piss in de tank brother, it will be good for 20 miles

I suppose drinking a bottle of vodka first might increase the ethanol in this alternative fuel . . . ?

Bizarrely, I have been bringing the bike around with me for the last twenty years since leaving UK, but haven't ridden it in all that time, or even started the engine. Oops. The biggest problem has been the inside of the petrol tank, however this is a thread about fuel not old motorcycles.

DirtbagCivvy

Old-Salt
Used 5 prices across the NA/NB/ (NC = yours) and NDs are going stupid.
Sellers' market & rose tinted lemming buyers' non-market...the wqnks.
Just saying...if you had a mind soon to sell up. General feedback from dealers is there will be no more boats of Hiroshima NDs for 2022 even.
Mazda are focusing on using any circuit chips they can get on mainstream stuff..but even they are badly delayed.
Some Toyotas are 40% down on production already.
As for E10 bla bla, I'm just pumping 99RON into both my 27 years old Mk1, and our 2002 Sport as I've done for years.
If it fukks 'em a bit which I doubt I'll fix it.
Trouble is with them you have to drop the rear subframes to get the fuel tanks out!
My Jap Suzuki sport always got 99ron as it needed at least 98ron to run right or it wasn’t as quick and drank the fuel (worse than normal lol)
On the subject of chips, Samsung caused a load of the build delays as they shut down a main chip production factory, the new golfs were about 5 months delayed according to the dealer so if your car needed building you’d be waiting a while.
Almost all builds are 3 month waiting times now as ive just ordered an Abarth and that’s 10-12 weeks, Suzuki and Seat were the same if you wanted one they didn’t have in stock in Europe somewhere...

Latest Threads