"E Set"

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Legs, Apr 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just had this programme pop up after I went to a new ARRSE page. It informed me that I had a Critical Virus and tried to start downloading an .exe file. Windows 7 asked if I wanted to carry on an d - being a suspicious person - clicked no.

Avast never picked anything up, so I'm running a full scan now. Has anyone ever heard of this, and is it a problem with ARRSE?
  2. I've had it twice today. Again, **** all with avast and malwarebites.
  3. Yeah, I've just done a full system restore. It knackered my Google Crome. Farking thing. It initiated through ARRSE. Maybe the Admins could query and look into this.
  4. I thought it was some other site I may have been on. Happened to me a couple of times too when clicking on a link on the Arrse top 50. Using Google chrome.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

its accessing a flaw in the site you're visiting rather than any flaws in your machine per se. legs, you're absolutely right doing what you did - any website comes up with that, give it the big FO.
    unless anyone knows different, afaik you can be reasonably confident (as far as you can be regarding these things) if you have Windows Firewall and avast running and fully updated. NEVER click on any installs like you say. another tip after the problems I and a few other users had a while back with the 'antivir pro' exploit is keep an alternative browser (firefox in my case) installed - so if you do get one of these that constantly hijacks your browser, you can get on the net and download the killer program for it and then the malware removers for it.
  6. I too have just got this...also using Google Chrome, full virus and malware scans in operation.
  7. Not good knowing the ARRSE is the means by which my computer is being attacked!

Yes - I'm also a Chrome user!
  8. I use chrome and haven't had this happen.

9. Yet....that's what I thought just before it did.
  10. Similar experience earlier today on ARRSE ... stopped download ... terminated Internet session and ran McAfee and Malwarebytes ... nothing found . Next time I will try and capture a screen print .
  11. I had it happen on Firefox. A predominantly white page with graphics on it. I just thought it was an advert so closed the tab and carried on assuming that my Norton 360 would have picked any bad up.
    I used to have a free programme, think it was Swedish, that scanned for adware and spyware, does anyone recognise it and know what it was called? Might install it again.
  12. Didn't spot this thread, but I had this yesterday and on Thursday I think. Big red screen trapped by IOBit 360 because Avast, MSE, Malware Bytes didn't get it. Spent last night restoring the PC , thought it was me, mind you might have been me.
  13. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

It sounds to me like you've all been infected with the Fake/Rogue E-Set Antivirus 2011 malware or a variant.

Whilst it is possible that this happened via ARRSE being compromised I think it unlikely. Certainly Google and McAffee give us a clean bill of health although I know these aren't 100% guaranteed. It is worth making the point that just because a pop up occurred whilst your were browsing on ARRSE or opening a new window doesn't mean that it was caused by ARRSE. My assessment is that your computer is already infected and this is the scareware trying to persuade you to install more stuff .....
  14. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

If people are having this problem though, pse continue to report with as much detail as possible. If there is a problem then we need to track it down asap!!
  15. As requested:

Had this last night (Sat) and as I do if this ever happens I shut the machine down to kill any chance of anything being downloaded. Just came back on this moring to see if ii had tried to bite anyone else.......

By the way it may not be something on ARRSE but this is the second time in the last week both while visiting here.