E-readers for fuckwits

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by filthyphil, Dec 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright, Santa brought me a Sony reader and I've got no ******* idea. I checked the Sony reader store, and was helpfully advised that it will be opening in Autumn. Where do you e-book afficionados get your books, who is the cheapest and easiest (excluding A Modern Military Munter of course).

2. Do not have one myself but lots of friends have Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook devices and love them. I know the kindle site has lots of free downloads of older books. Also, here in the US lots of public libraries have "loans" of e-books. If you download from the library the books stays on your device and vanishes after 2 weeks. You can go online and renew if it is not on hold for someone else. Each device differs a bit in what format is needed. i have been looking into the Kindle myself and found this Wiki entry that might help you.

Comparison of e-book formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. gutenberg.org is great for books in the public domain.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Not sure of your location.

I get all of my ebooks for my Sony from Waterstones and they also have quite a good 'idiots guide' on how to download them and a reasonable selection of freebies.

Hope this helps.

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  6. I concure, download calibre, it is a godsend.
    Now, if you know somebody, "a friend" perhaps who uses torrent sites such as isohunt to download music, films etc, then there is a ready source of free, but maybe not legal, books there. "My friend" can often get the NY times bestseller list, which has new books updated every few weeks or so, and tons of Kindle books which can be Calibre'd. But that would be illegal, so be careful. Or make sure your "friend" is careful.

7. filthyphil,

I concur with those that recommend Calibre, I also have a Sony Ereader (PRS350). I would advise deleting the Sony Library software if you have installed it or at least unticking the settings under Edit - Preferences.
    The reader is easy to use and there are plenty of sources for ebooks. Stay away from the MySony site, it must have been designed by a six year old with a Heroin habit or coded by a quadriplegic using a sledgehammer as a head dobber.

8. If you like military sci-fi I recommend baen books. Great selection of authors and usually you can download first book in a series for free. Otherwise kobo and waterstones. Calibre won't convert drm protected ebooks. Just tried :)

9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Download off torrent - drop them onto your ereader - bing bong bosh 3,500 titles later.

10. The Pirate Bay is good for free e-books. I use an e-reader app on my phone, it's an absolute godsend.

11. filesonic.com: Asks for a subscription, but it offers 10's of thousands of books in lump format (e.g. 10k books comes in 10 downloads of 1GB each). Beware of waressokol.com this is a link site, which took a three-month subscrption from me and the first few times I downloaded a good load of books. Tried it again over the Christmas period and it directs you to filesonic.com, who then as you for a subscription.

12. Thanks for the replies chaps and chapettes, as always, every day's a schoolday here.