e-petition re change to Disability Living Allowance

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Minsterman, Nov 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen and Ladies,

The Department for Work and Pensions, have sneakily changed a rule in claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA), which could have quite serious re-percussions for those War Pensioners who either do not receive a 40% War Pension (and thus cannot claim War Pensioners Mobility Supplement- WPMS), and/or an 80% War Pension so cannot claim War Pensioners Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA). Most, have then to apply for Disability Living Allowance to top up their meager War Pensions. Armed Forces Compensation Scheme claimants (as they are not entitled to WPMS or CAA) also have to claim DLA if they need a Mobility Car and/or constant care.

This leaves a large amount of War Pensioners/AFCS Claimants to whom this change will apply (and I am one of them!) and thus could (and probably will) deprive them of their rightful benefits.

The circumstances are, that for a number of years, those with chronic and progressive illnesses who will never recover such as those with:

paraplegic, tetraplegic, or quadriplegic
    both deaf and blind
    double amputees
    severely mentally impaired
    over the age of 65
    those with pre-April 1992 awards
    cystic fibrosis
    dementia
    haemodialysis
    hyperkinetic syndrome
    learning difficulty
    multiple allergy syndrome
    multiple sclerosis
    motor neurone disease
    neurological disease (including muscular dystrophy)
    Parkinson's disease
    total parenteral nutrition

have been exempted from a review of their DLA claim. Overnight (well in May 2007 but it is only now people have found out about this), they have removed the exemption from the reviews. Thus, should they be reviewed, there is a chance that their award can be taken away, not to mention what the stress of all this will cause to an already disabled person.

An e-petition has been set up on the 10 Downing Street Website, and could I ask as many of you to sign it. The link is:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/DLA-Review/

Please remember, you could be a future War Pensioner or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme claimant and this could well affect you.

Many thanks

Pete (War Pensioner)

2. To be honest i understand what you are saying however i do think that it is about time that changes were made.

Not because i think that those mentioned above do not deserve it, but because the system has been abused to the point of outrage, i could mention many cases from the streets up here, where people are claiming for "migrains" "irritable bowel syndrome" "chronic heroin addiction" etc etc.

If this change will sort out the wheat from the chaff, then surely the result will be a better service for those that truly deserve it and the skulkers will be told to walk.