E-Gates for AUS, CAN, JPN, NZ, US Passport Holders from 2019!

Yay! So we'll be able to join the priority line with the descendants of the Luftwaffe aircrews that bombed so many British cities flat. Progress, I suppose.

....finally! Yay! Don't have to deal with the expensive Registered Traveler scheme.

You guys have no idea how much headache it will solve for us non-EU passport holders! I can now use whichever is the shorter line.
You don't realise how lucky you are that we let you in at all!

ugly

LE
Yay! So we'll be able to join the priority line with the descendants of the Luftwaffe aircrews that bombed so many British cities flat. Progress, I suppose.
Those Hermans will have to q like the others soon!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
December 1979. RSM volunteered me for the HQ Squadron shooting team, which screwed up my Christmas Leave plans. Took a lift a day late from a mate, organised travel back day after Boxing Day. Dire consequences for anyone late back from Christmas Block Leave, affecting those going on New Year Block Leave.

Return journey. Taxi to Sunderland station. Missed train to Newcastle for connection by seconds. Got back into same taxi and betted the driver he couldn't beat the train to Newcastle Central. He did. Caught my scheduled train. Phew. Sat back on train to KX and converted a few cans of Brown Dog into p¡ss and empty cans. Back on track (SWIDT?).

Crossed London to Liverpool Street to catch Boat Train. On schedule. Tannoy, "The boat train to Harwich is cancelled. The other boat train to Harwich will leave from a different platform." Great. Get onto second of two boat trains by skin of teeth, stand in doorwell to Harwich. Luckily I was next to the Buffet Car, so I grabbed myself another slab of four Dog.

Get to Harwich, find the queue for UK Passport Control through a giant hangar and out through the opposite door. Oh goody. Notice there is no queue for EEC Passport Control. Into inside jacket pocket and get the "other" passport.

Brazenly walked past several hundred metres of queue, passport in one hand, Army suitcase in the other. "You okay with this?" He smiled, I was first on the ferry. I'd have been back to Paderborn on time were it not for a delay on European trains. I went straight to the SSM and apologised. He was happy. Let me spend New Year's Day as guard commander at an empty Tin City. The two lads with me on the train, didn't go to the SSM and apologise. He nailed them.

The passport?

Last edited:
December 1979. RSM volunteered me for the HQ Squadron shooting team, which screwed up my Christmas Leave plans. Took a lift a day late from a mate, organised travel back day after Boxing Day. Dire consequences for anyone late back from Christmas Block Leave, affecting those going on New Year Block Leave.

Return journey. Taxi to Sunderland station. Missed train to Newcastle for connection by seconds. Got back into same taxi and betted the driver he couldn't beat the train to Newcastle Central. He did. Caught my scheduled train. Phew. Sat back on train to KX and converted a few cans of Brown Dog into p¡ss and empty cans. Back on track (SWIDT?).

Crossed London to Liverpool Street to catch Boat Train. On schedule. Tannoy, "The boat train to Harwich is cancelled. The other boat train to Harwich will leave from a different platform." Great. Get onto second of two boat trains by skin of teeth, stand in doorwell to Harwich. Luckily I was next to the Buffet Car, so I grabbed myself another slab of four Dog.

Get to Harwich, find the queue for UK Passport Control through a giant hangar and out through the opposite door. Oh goody. Notice there is no queue for EEC Passport Control. Into inside jacket pocket and get the "other" passport.

Brazenly walked past several hundred metres of queue, passport in one hand, Army suitcase in the other. "You okay with this?" He smiled, I was first on the ferry. I'd have been back to Paderborn on time were it not for a delay on European trains. I went straight to the SSM and apologised. He was happy. Let me spend New Year's Day as guard commander at an empty Tin City. The two lads with me on the train, didn't go to the SSM and apologise. He nailed them.

The passport?

Quisling.

Are you allowed to use that one since you're from Sunderland? Or is it a case of all of us Geordie type people looking the same to southerners?

Incidentally, is that the one where if you look at the barcode at an angle of 60 degrees it says "Blood Group Broon"?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Quisling.

Are you allowed to use that one since you're from Sunderland? Or is it a case of all of us Geordie type people looking the same to southerners?

Incidentally, is that the one where if you look at the barcode at an angle of 60 degrees it says "Blood Group Broon"?
In the 70s, the Geordie Mackem thing didn't exist. According to Victoria Coren (Mitchell) and Balderdash and Piffle Episode 1, the first written record of the use of Mackem was 1973 and the Cup Final. Two sides of the same coin until the 1987 relegation play-off and thousands of Geordies bought unsold Gillingham tickets. Then it got nasty.

I don't remember blood group, but the passport number was Ayuh Ayuch Fowerty Fower (AH44) and marital status might be Married or Happy.

In the 70s, the Geordie Mackem thing didn't exist. According to Victoria Coren (Mitchell) and Balderdash and Piffle Episode 1, the first written record of the use of Mackem was 1973 and the Cup Final. Two sides of the same coin until the 1987 relegation play-off and thousands of Geordies bought unsold Gillingham tickets. Then it got nasty.

I don't remember blood group, but the passport number was Ayuh Ayuch Fowerty Fower (AH44) and marital status might be Married or Happy.
I've got to confess that this Mackem thing was a new one on me. I remember our annual INTEX in 1989 when I was a post controller in Durham headquarters and one of the lads on a post near Newcastle asked me if I was a Mak'n'tak. Frankly, I hadn't a clue what he was talking about.

I do remember my kid sisters former fiance, who was ex AAC, telling me that as a Catholic in Bishop Auckland he had to support Sunderland. Only Protestants supported Newcastle. A surprise to me as my former Catholic neighbours were Newcastle supporters, and my Protestant best mate supported Sunderland.

As for the fowerty fower thing, our phonetics changed in the mid 1980's and I was convinced that a Geordie had written the manual. Listening to Observers at the Coventry HQ pronouncing "f-o-o-o-wer" was hilarious.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
As for the fowerty fower thing, our phonetics changed in the mid 1980's and I was convinced that a Geordie had written the manual. Listening to Observers at the Coventry HQ pronouncing "f-o-o-o-wer" was hilarious.
Signals Communication in the Army Volume 2 Voice Procedure (hereinafter VP Pam 2) had phonetic spellings of numbers to disambiguate them in bad working conditions. Niner is best known. Fiyev and Fower less so. Fower was meant to rhyme with Borrower, but in the Geordie Hussars... well it said so in VP Pam 2.

Now we are creeping to the Aussies ? post Brexit trade has nothing to do with it ....:roll: , I hope its reciprocated .
It already is, for a couple of years now. If you have a UK passport, you can just use the e-gates in AUS airports - no need to deal with immigration people.

I have been using my U.S. passport to do the same for last few visits. Takes less than 30secs to get into Aus, bypassing all the long lines! I have always found it deserted.

No exception for us Africans I see. Bloody complicated hoop jumping exercise just to get a visa to go to the UK these days. Hardly worth the effort. Easier to hop a leaky boat across the Med and slip in ensconced in the back of a veg truck at Dover.

No exception for us Africans I see. Bloody complicated hoop jumping exercise just to get a visa to go to the UK these days. Hardly worth the effort. Easier to hop a leaky boat across the Med and slip in ensconced in the back of a veg truck at Dover.
I thought SA passport holders didn't need a visa for EU? Did they take it away?

Edit: Apparently they do now: "Since 3 March 2009, South African nationals have been required to have a visa to enter or transit the UK. "

Didn't know that.

Yup. Never a problem in the bad old days but under the new lot control of passports and other docs went out the window, so much so that finding boxes of blank SA passports in the Tora Bora caves while hunting Bin Laden led to most countries pulling the plug.

ETA: A number of AQ and other terrorists were clocked moving around on SA passports when the flag was raised by the find in the caves. This also contributed to the current situation where SA passport holders now need visas for pretty much everywhere, whereas in the past they could travel to most places outside Africa with little to no problem. It's what happens when terrorists are given access to official organs of state.

Of course this is all part of the new SA utopian dream. We're all so proud...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but vaguely relevant. Our friends in Papua New Guinea have been piqued at Australia's stubborn requirement that aspiring PNG visitors to the wide brown land need to queue in the hot sun outside the AU mission there and be prepared to jump through seemingly endless hoops to obtain a visa. The gently imparted reason for this is the pisspoor standard of record-keeping in PNG, so by international standards determining a solid ID for any of their citizens is simply not do-able. So no e-passports for them.

Good news.

I'm wondering if this is another step towards free movement between UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The Canadian conservative party just adopted a free movement policy, doubt there's much chance of them winning an election but it may catch on with the liberals. Support seems high in Can/Aus/NZ, less so in the UK but not by much.

Personally would love to be able to move without the mountains of paperwork, expensive visa programs etc.

Good news.

I'm wondering if this is another step towards free movement between UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Highly doubt this is going to happen. Just too many variables etc. in the way. You can't even move (or rather live) freely within UK administered territories etc. without visas and permits.

A lot of people said that the UK would never leave the EU and that Donald Trump would never be president of the United States.

Incidentally, in response to my mentioning PNG in my previous post, look what showed up in the right hand border of ARRSE when next I looked:
1540976962511.png

Ah, Google you creepy, magnificent bastard.