E.coli released by MoD in 1960s in Swindon and Southampton

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by A2_Matelot, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Taken from the BBC News website. The report concerns Porton Down's MoD labs Defence scientists secretly tested E.coli bacteria as a possible biological weapon near two UK towns.

Trials were carried out near Swindon and Southampton between 1965 and 1967. Says a lot about these locations....
  2. I E.Coli were released near Swindon it would have certainly improved the quality of the gene pool.
  3. Shame the didn't drop it some where like London
  4. That would explain why Swindon is still stuck in the 60's, what a sh1thole.
  5. More like Ecoli was found on the Flowers estate in Southampton.
  6. What a shite weapon... a dose of the shites?

Also it'll leave most students standing, given to the fact that many of them develop immunities to Ecoli thanks to their kitchen hygiene efforts.

No what swindon needs is a good dose of crimean-congo fever to soften them up first, and then some dengue and a bit of marburg hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome to polish them off.
  7. This BBC News item? Dated 27th October 2006?

And I'm trying to think whether E.coli was "around" before those dates, or whether that would be when it was first introduced?
  8. I dread to think what they released on Norwich.
  9. :D

I'm not from Norwich :wink:
  10. What type of E. coli? The really bad type (E. coli 157) was first seen in the US in 1981 and kills about 3-5 people a year.

E. coli is part of the guts natural flora so releasing it would not have had much of an impact unless it was bread to cause harm, and even then mostly in the old, young or ill.