E-cigarettes face new restrictions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stinker, Jun 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gotta love it, they'll even campaign against e ciggies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22870301

Campaigners say the growing popularity of e-cigarettes could undermine years of anti-smoking efforts, with particular concerns about promotion to children and non-smokers.

So without the smoke to moan about they switch targets.

"Marketing of these products must now be closely monitored to ensure non-smokers and children don't end up using them."

2. From the article

"Jeremy Mean of The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said the government had concluded that e-cigarettes currently on the market do not meet appropriate standards of safety, quality and efficacy."

so maybe some more homework is a good idea.Who knows what affects these things will have in 10 - 15 years time?

3. Tax.

• Like Like x 14
  4. Someone was smoking one next to me in the boozer last night, the minty twat! Sooner have someone coughing tar in my face!

5. Is there actually an agreed "standard" to these things, or at least to what the vaporiser vaporises?

Ain't as if it's like the NiQuitin inhalers, which are controlled to some sort of standard, seems like these things are totally unregulated and that means there's no clue about what you might be breathing in, and since we're talking about something that can be used like the aforementioned inhaler then you should know what you're polluting your lungs with.

PS. I smoke like a chimney, I ain't no anti-tobacco nazi. But I don't trust them things in the slightest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The powers to be are worried they are about to take off big time....

They are looking to restrict supply and use until the can figure out how to regulate them for taxation..

Even the bloody EU are looking to bring in a regulatory framework.

• Like Like x 6
  7. They need to replace the revenue lost by decreasing cig sales - simple as that ...

• Like Like x 6
  8. What about the lost revenue from banning smoking in Pubs?

• Like Like x 1
  9. I once smoked a bine with an 'e' in it.

Did fuckall. Waste of a fuckin tenner.

10. The government does not approve of something coming along which they have yet to tax the arse out of.

• Like Like x 5
  11. I suppose the numpties will be blaming them for climate change as well.

• Like Like x 1
  12. What revenue loss?

They raise the duty to keep the revenue circa £10Billion per year, as it has been for a LONG time, so nothing is actually "lost".

Of course, that means there's more "illicit" tobacco out there, brought in by the truckload, that no duty is paid on so whilst the amount of "legal" tobacco sales drop the amount of "illegal", duty free, tobacco sales rises.

Everyone wins, especially as the government gets to claim that the policies of reducing tobacco sales means that people are not smoking as much so it is "a good thing".

Cutting the duty would mean a hell of a lot more "revenue" would be raised, as the "illegal" sales would drop, but that would not be "a good thing" as it would be encouraging people who do smoke to actually buy their smokes legally and show what the true tobacco consumption in the UK actually is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hmm regulation on e-cigs.
    As a non-smoker I do wonder when I see the various chavvy stalls set up in various shopping centres selling these bits of kit exactly what they are putting into inhalers that some will be sucking hard on to get their nicotine fix. Our illustrious government looking after our welfare of course is what legislation will be about.

On the other hand, as others who are as cynical as me have pointed out, a good way of taxing something else to top up the coffers.

Who knows?

14. I'm seriously considering starting on real ciggies again.