E-Bay fraudsters

I dont know if this is the right place to put this post, any MODs please feel free to move it if you see fit.

I have recently been contacted by two individuals giving me second chance offers on things that I have unsuccessfully bid for..

One was for a £500 watch and the other was for a £2500 motorbike.

the e-mails they sent looked exactly like the proper e-bay second chance offer, but they had private e-mail addresses and not the sellers e-bay nomme de guerre. I contacted the original seller in both cases just to be sure.

these are the e-mail addresses to be carefull of in cae any of you fine folks recieve such bogus second chance offers

hoffman9825@aol.com
forneti222@yahoo.com

Oh I forgot to add in each case they wanted my full name and address so that they could 'verify the shipping costs' (shipping a bike from wilts to essex...mmmm me thinks not!!)

clearly an attempt at identity theft here!!

I had some chancer asking when an item he had bought from me would be despatched.

Mmmm. I'd never sold anything on ebay.

The screen was a copy of the ebay screen but ebay. net rather than .co.uk
Hit reply and was asked to "verify" my details.

As if!

Forwarded it to ebay.
Let them sort him out

If you have the time, keep them going with nonsense addresses and bank details and false addresses........preferably of someone you dont like ;-)
This is a good site for hints on how to deal with these people:
419 Eater

Northern_Biff said:
If you have the time, keep them going with nonsense addresses and bank details and false addresses........preferably of someone you dont like ;-)
This is a good site for hints on how to deal with these people:
419 Eater
I tried to offer the guy who tried to 'sell' me the motorbike a deposit if he sent me his bank details, but he wouldnt bite!!

Don't reply with anything - these bstds are infiltrating anything where there is finance involved. Egg heeds would call this 'phishing'. Even a reply email, regardless of content, confirms that you exist and that any information they may have already picked up on you is current.
Delete is the best policy.

I have a car on autotrader...... two scammers have already tried offering western union shit to me and want my name and address......

REALLY!!! I AM FURKIN THICK U KNOW DUH.

Also had a second buy chance via "ebay" scamming twats!

Always forward stuff like this to spoof@ebay or spoof@paypal, at least they are actively going after crims (unlike UK police, who are not interested in receiving details of Nigerian or eBay scams....)

archer said:
I had some chancer asking when an item he had bought from me would be despatched.

As if!

Forwarded it to ebay.
Let them sort him out
Download the eBay toolbar. It actually tells you if you re on a kosher eBay or Paypal site.

archer said:

As if!

Forwarded it to ebay.
Let them sort him out
Yes, been there but the email was GENUINE, as in from a buyer who had bought a genuine article but just not from me so I sent it off to eBay via the spoof email address and they told me it wasn't a scam but a mistake.

I told them it was THEIR mistake and would they kindly ensure that it didn't happen again as it did appear that my email address had been somehow attached to the article sold.

Still waiting for a reply of course.

I've had a recent swathe of genuine " Your favourite seller's new items" emails - except none of these (also genuine) sellers is someone I've bought from or tagged as a FS. I get the feeling that eBay itself might be doing this as a business boost....

I´ve been ripped-off a few times on e-bay,luckily not on anything really expensive;But e-bay do jack-sh+t about it other than send e-mails offering to claim on my behalf for costs at many times the original loss!

Also there´s lots of copiers of Nav C´Ds around,one even had the cheek to send his full address etc,just wondering whether to `shop`him to Becker for a free Navi! :twisted:

Best way to determine if they are legit email from ebay is to hover over the buy now link or the other one asking for your details and see if it has ebay.co.uk or ebay.com in the address.

Be warey though as they sometimes register domains like www.ebay.co.uk.cgi.net.reject.com as you can see this isnt an ebay domain but actually the real domain is reject.com the last part of the domain is always the main domain name so keep that in mind.

The parts before the main domain are just sub domains and these can be called anything you like. eg. nigerian.scammer.fcukers.arrse.co.uk could be setup and pointed to any page on any site.

Just my two pence worth, hope it helps

I have thses types of emails , asking me to give my bank detail , paypal password to "verify " that there isn't anybody masquerading as me, mmm yeah right, I wasnt born yesterday, i also treat second chance offers with the contempt they deserve even if its a genuine one, as it usually 2 mates one selling the other bumping up the prices, once i reach my max bid i usually stop there, (unless the item is rare and unusual) i refuse to entrtain any second chance offers, they would have to relist the item and pay ebay.

yes Ebay customer service is shite, i have been ripped off twice and i still haven't got my money back, tw@ts, i now rarely use ebay because of that

If i get any e-mails from sellers I always ignore them, then go and look at 'My Messages' on the 'my Ebay' page. If they are there too, then they are genuine.

I do the same with ebay invoices too.

The same thing happened to me about a year ago. I lost the legitimate auction on a motorbike, but was contacted a couple of days later by e-bay supposedly and told the bike was on a second chance auction and as I was the second highest bidder I could have it. Alarm bells started ringing as the "official" e-bay e-mail had typos on it and they were asking for the money to be sent via Great Western. I dropped it to spoof@ebay.co.uk and they told me it was not genuine. 3 weeks later I read in MCN that two Romanians were lifted by the Met for the scam.

E-Bay Fraudsters arrested

I had some dip sh@te try one on me. I bought a pair of sunglasses from him on ebay. The seller was in England so after a few weeks and still no sunglasses I got a bit suspicious. I made a complaint but he demanded that he had sent them. He slipped up however when he said in one message that he had definately sent me the t-shirt I had ordered. T-shirt? I don't think so! I made it a formal complaint through paypal and got my money back in the end, and he is no longer a seller on ebay!

I recently bid on an item, with a max bid of £7.50. I was highest bidder at £2.50 until the last minute, when it bid up over my max. Two days later, I got a (legitimate) Second Chance offer to buy it at my last bid of £6.50. I never got around to considering it, and the offer expired.

A second, similar item I was bidding on from the same seller went the same way and, lo and behold, I got another Second Chance offer, which I declined to take advantage of.

Both items were re-listed, and this time I bid at the last moment, getting the first for £2.75 and the second for £4 - much better than the second chance offer prices.

Suspicious, me thinks....

on the second chance offer subject,as a seller i regularly send out second chance offers if i have multiples of the same item, i pay the fees accordindly.

as a buyer, things to look out for are - if you receive a second chance offer then it wil be displayed on your homepage. you will also receive an email in your ebay message box + another to your email address.
this second chance offer will always be for the price that you bid upto.
always work through ebay when purchasing items.

download the toolbar and definetly report all scams to the above mentioned addresses.

if an item doesn't turn up then check the listing of the item that you bought and see if it was insured, if not then ask the seller for a proof of postage, if this cannot be obtained then report it to ebay and paypal, they should refund your money to you. a good seller will send the proof of postage to you and you can then claim from the post office.

lastly dont threaten the seller :evil: and dont say you'il leave negative feedback or you end up getting struck off yourself.
you can request the sellers personal details, then you can speak to them direct. :wink: :wink:

if anyone wants anymore tips then pm me

Alsacien

MIA
I am sure most are aware - but for those who are not:

If you ever get emails from ebay/paypal/buyers/sellers etc directly to your home/designated email address NEVER follow the links. Go to your ebay account and look at the messages you have there.

Be aware there are lots of false sites that look and feel perfect - also it is possible to spoof the URL (the address you see www.xxxxxxx etc).

You will find the Ebay/Paypal security people are on the ball if you contact them with anything suspicious.