Dystopian Fiction - recommendations

Toppet

Old-Salt
For several years I've been reading Dystopian Fiction. I've read the classics (1984, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm etc), but do you have any more recommendations, specifically in this genre? Ideally from more modern writers.

I've also read:

The Forever War
The Machine Stops (highly recommended, written in about 1910, predicts people shouting on internet forums and video messaging)
Dune
The Handmaidens tale
Logan's Run
Day of the Triffids
The Chrysalids
Brave new world
A clockwork orange
The Windup Girl
Most of Phillip K Dick's short stories
The Hunger Games
The quantum commute
...and a load more I can't remember right now.

Any suggestions? If they're available on audiobook even better, so I can listen to them as I cycle to work.

Cheers.

aardvark64

Old-Salt
William Gibson's Neuromancer?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Haldeman (The Forever War) wrote The Accidental Time Machine. Starts off slow, in the present (when it was written). Give it a bash.

Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood and Mad Adam by Margaret Attwood; this plot make The Handmaidens Tale seem quite mainstream.

dystopian
/dɪsˈtəʊpɪən/

adjective: dystopian
relating to or denoting an imagined state or society where there is great suffering or injustice.
"the dystopian future of a society bereft of reason"
The Guardian

Hansard.

Hugh Howey :
Wool
Dust
Shift

Can't remember what order they are supposed to be read.

And by the same author,

Sand

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Richard Morgan's Black Man (or Thirteen if you are on the wrong side of the Atlantic). While not a story of hopelessness, it is very man against the system. And if you like his writing style the Land Fit For Heroes trilogy is excellent fantasy (film noir fantasy as the author describes it)?

I've got a copy of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged to plough through at some point.

Anyone here already done so and is it worth it?

I've got a copy of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged to plough through at some point.

Anyone here already done so and is it worth it?
Nope, it's shit.

Anything by Joe Abercrombie. Start with "The Blade Itself"... they're f***ing awesome. Adrian Tchaikovsky, Django Wexler, Miles Cameron, Seth Dickinson

Alternatively, K.J. Parker; lots of bitter, cynical, people operating pragmatically in a bleak world.

John Scalzi: "Old Man's War"

Kameron Hurley's "The Light Brigade" is worth it

Linda Nagata's "The Red" series

Latest Threads