Dyslexia and BATCO

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by polar, Nov 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was marking some BATCO exams last week, a couple of the students had dyslexia. Does this effect their abiltiy to use of BATCO or is my understanding of it wrong.
    Didn't see any evidence of it when I marked the papers, although one was missing letters out.
  2. LIuhgd areiughv sefhfbv gyj.arg hfd'grthsadcgh ,rgryhgasvf .shydfsbjh.sehrtyh asrgrej sdhty. dyuku.dgjtyk .
  3. Sorry couldn't resist, as far as I am aware, most of those that suffer with dyslexia have problems with recognising similar letters/digits. For example 9 & 6, b & d, etc most of the confusion arising when one is mistakenly substituted for the other. Will be happy to stand correction though if I have been misled on this matter.
  4. Dyslexia affects students in different ways sometimes depending on a students concentration levels it can also sometimes be single letters that students miss out or if they are tired they will subconsciously only manage to write down one or two key words, or other occasions write the words in the wrong order. Its strange in a way because the words/letters are stringed together in the right order in there head but when they try to write them to paper something goes AWOL.
  5. Or WOLA (Sorry could not resist)
    (Swing lamp) What has not been mentioned is the soldier in phase 1 or phase 2 or heaven forbid further in training.

When I was an instructor if you suspected dyslexia you would have a quick word with the Soldier to see if they have a problem and if so they would then be assessed by the local Education Officer for the level dyslexia and suitability of trade.
    If later than phase 2 (ie upgrader) still not a great prob but it had to be noted so that any help could be attained but would definitely not be held against them.
    Bottom line. REO assessment.

against them
  6. Might have to post on the TA forum, I suspect quite a few a getting through without being indentified or being given the option of help.
  7. I have an opinion on that exam and lessons! happy to PM you if your happy to take note of it!

Let me know!
  8. As an RAC RSI and someone who was diagnosed as dyslexic by an educational psycologist, here's my take.

1. There are many forms of dyslexia.

2. There are many bods who 'claim' to be 'a little dyslexic' due to being:

a. Careless with their written work.

b. Not as bright as they might wish.

Any bod 'claiming' such should have been statemented as a kid with a test carried out by an educational psycologist, or sent to one to establish it.

Sounds like more of a case for griping for being sloppy to me - after all, just how many words do they have to spell off the top of their heads!
  9. What a complete load of bollox. I know loads of people who were not picked up for dyslexia whilst at school, but got diagnosed afterwards... I know people in the Army who didn't get diagnosed until they arrived at their units, and I also have friends at uni who didn't get diagnosed until their final year, or even when they started their MSc.
  10. There are many who are indeed not picked up and there are many who use it as an excuse where all they lack is the required skill set. There is a policy designed to assess those who have poor literacy and numeracy skills and/or dyslexia and help them as required
  11. Well, As a child I was sent to an educational psycologist and I was diagnosed as partially dyslexic. Dyslexia as a condition has many varieties and depths and I was/am on the fringes....

It really grips me when people use dyslexia as an excuse for things. I did not and have not ever told people that I have the condition...those that work with me may spot this post and learn of this for the first time.

I developed coping stratigies long ago, and use them to this day. Yes, I avoid written work, but I can do it if I have to....it just takes me longer and I have to take extra care with it. Dyslexia is a condition, not an excuse! Grip em!
  12. Dyslexia is a stastical condition.

It is determined by doing something like an IQ test. You are considered dyslexic if in certain parts of the test you score relatively lower than the typical persons getting your score in other parts of the test did. Two people could have identical word skills one would be "dyslexic" the other "stupid" they could score identical scores in the sensitive parts of the test. The dyslexic one would be the one who scored higher in the other non sensitive parts of the test. Its your ratios on the test compared to the typical.

What causes the low score can be a number of word problems what makes it dyslexic how you doin other parts of the test. Dyslexic is considered a bit bogus by some and the focus should stop being on the ratio and more the serverity of word problem. Presently people with the worst word skills are not eligable to the same help as dyslexic even if they score lower in the sensitive parts of the test.

The test sees if reading or writting ability is less than that of the typical person with your IQ. If your reading and writting ability are wose than the typical person of your IQ you are dyslexic. This is an oversimplifcation gives a feel for the princple.

There can be many reasons why some one scores low in the sensitve part of the test many different learning disorders. Why some one scores higher relatively in the other has been linked to background and environment. Contray to common misconception a large part of IQ is to do with environment. If there is 2 people who both have equal reading and writting disbiability but one is in exposed to more sitimulous TV debate etc there IQ score would go up likly go up. This rise in IQ would not be the writting reading part but the other so they could become dyslexic. So spme one who was classed as stupid but has had more sitimulous that pushes the other part of the IQ type test up becomes dyslexic. The dyslexic one can access addition help and has a peg for there disorder. The disorder is not the dyslexia its self the but the underlaying cause of the reading disorder.

As people get older there IQ increases if you are have a reading disorder which includes Dyslexics) your IQ rises less this is because a lot of the information and stimulous we get that causes the IQ to rise is writen reading disorder people(which includes)dyslexics tend to read less so have a lesser rise in IQ.

Interestly as peoples People get older and there IQs rise (as it does where you have a reading disorder or not its just slower if you do) people with reading disorders often become dyslexic because the rest of there test has increased more than the sensitive part.

I was diagnosed as dyslexic at Uni but had never had a test before. Why I wondered what exactly dyslexia is. I had always known I had some reading writing problem. Not all cases of a dyslexic sore are the same.
  13. Polar, are you sure your students didnt simply confuse the batco sheets with a wordsearch? I'd have a cursory check that noone has sent them in to Take-a-Break.

14. Just out of genuine interest in the condition, what are your coping strategies (other than avoidance)?
  15. My condition involves written work. I have no real problems with reading, always been a favourite of mine. Sometimes I have to work harder on it than others, but not an issue.

My writing has always been the problems. I confuse b, d, p, q, 9's in particular. No matter what I do, if I use lower case in my handwriting then they will appear, and often, if I read back my written work, I cannot see the mistakes...don't know why...brain damage my wife calls it.

My coping stratagy was developed long ago when I figured out that I just cannot do cursive and/or lower case. Therefore I print in block capitals. All my work is printed and in capitals. You just cannot confuse a B with a D, like you can a b with a d, if you see what I mean, the shapes are just very different.

I am lucky in that I have been a communicator and so I was taught to type. I therefore type everything that I can. I was also very lucky in that by the time I got to a rank that meant that I had to write reports on people, they were all typed too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use my dyslexia as an excuse and I despise those who do. At school I was put into the "Slow Learner Unit" and suffered in all my other work because of it. I look back now at my school books from 25 - 30 years ago and I wince. But once I moved schools, my condition recognised by one particular teacher, I was sent to the relevant people, and I was allowed to develop my strategy then things went on the up very rapidly.

Avoidance is still my key weapon though. I'll type wherever possible before I will write.