dying laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Mrs_M, Jul 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My laptop got dropped on the floor a couple of months ago and I think its damaged the fan as it seems to overheat then just switch itself off. Its happening more and more often now - is it worth trying to get it fixed? Anyone know how much it would roughly cost? Or shall I just get a nice shiny new one?
  2. The fan should be a simple fix, you can probably do it yourself. Remove the back off the laptop, remove fan, and take to your nearest PC hardware retailer and they should be able to match it for you.
    Be careful that you haven't damaged the hard drive, when damaged they can also overheat and cause the lappy to shutdown...

Spend £1000 or so on a nice shiney Acer 5935G series, like me :)
  3. You could get one of those air squirter cans and squirt air through the ventilation grills. That could keep it cool while you save your files on to a pen drive. If you work in an office, perhaps someone in IT could fix it for you on overtime (oops what a give-away).
  4. Or buy a reconditioned one from Currys, PC World..
  5. msr

msr LE

How old is it? If over three years I would recommend replacing it.

6. Thanks everyone. Its nearly 3 years old, its a Dell and cost me £500 new. I've moved everything to an external hard drive already.
  7. Would that be regarding the fan or laptop MSR? My laptop (Dell) is clocking on for 8 years old and I'm wondering how much more life I could get out of it before getting a new one.
  8. msr

msr LE

Rule of thumb when replacing hardware is "Are you thinking faster than it is?", if so then look at replacing it. Other reasons could include unsupported operating system (e.g. Win 98 / ME / 2K) or critical reliance on laptop for work.

9. msr

msr LE

Get a quote for the cost of repair. It may be economic to fix the fan, but I wonder if anything else has been damaged in the drop?

10. Cheers, must admit that when I see the new gucci laptops on offer I'm tempted to get one but then I think that this one's still working and not bother.....it'll probably blow up now in the next couple of days!
  11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Need to find a local laptop repair place - have one in Wimbledon if it's any help - if it's just the fan it should be fixable for about £50. Dell are selling very nice shiny new ones for about £600 - just replaced my old one that has been relegated to travel and for use of house guests.

Don't try to get it fixed at PCWorld or any large high street chain.
  12. msr

msr LE

That'll give you the excuse you need :)
  13. when it was dropped it landed on its side right where the power cable goes in and has damaged some of the plastic around there, but still charges up fine. I can't get any usb devices in that side now though. If I take it to get a quote for a repair will I get charged for just getting the quote?
    I'm seriously thinking of claiming on the house insurance, our excess is only £50
  14. msr

msr LE

It's more internal damage that I would be concerned about, the stuff you can't see :(

15. Agree with MSR, and there's nothing as heartbreaking as losing one's stuff or the thing dying at a critical moment.

I recommend that of Dell Outlet - super machines for less than they're worth, because people change their minds and want a different configuration so Dell sell them off cheaper. They're updated a few times a week. I got my laptop for 2/3 the original price and it's brand new.