Dwain Chambers for the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fallschirmjager, Mar 12, 2012.

?
  1. Yes. He's served his punishment

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. No. All drug cheats should be banned for life

44 vote(s)
    55.7%
  3. Who gives a ****?

25 vote(s)
    31.6%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dwain Chambers is looking at competing in the Olympics if his ban is lifted. US athletes amongst others who have been banned in the past will be competing in the Olympics. Should he be allowed to compete?

I believe ALL athletes who require explosive strength or speed need to be on drugs to compete at such a high level. Athletics and sport is full of drugs at elite level.

Anyway, discuss.

BBC Sport - Dwain Chambers ready for Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing

2. Dwain Chambers can ram it. He hasn't shown remorse for his cheating. David Millar on the other hand has become a major player in the anti doping world and is a WADA representative sharing his experiences with young riders to try and prevent them falling into the same traps. He has always just accepted the BOC rule. Rather than bleat on about injustice, he is just happy that after a two year ban, he can ride his bike at all.

3. There are two types of professional athletes at the highest levels.

The ones who train using drugs and get the podium places

The ones who don't train using drugs and get to applaud those on the podium.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Let him run, it sends a positive message to the black youth that you can use drugs, lie and cheat and after two years punishment be back on your game!

5. Personally I think that if you're caught using performance enhancing drugs then you should be banned from athletics completely - allowing him to continue competing (whether or not that stretches to him going to the Olympics) is taking squad places and sporting opportunities from athletes who haven't been injecting themselves.

6. Athletes in most sports use drugs and would be unable to compete at top level if they didn't. I don't understand the drama surrounding it.

7. There are none who haven't been injecting themselves.

8. Doc, I'm completely shagged…

Take two of these and give it an hour…

Hands up who'd never been there.

9. As you phrase it, I'd agree with your remark. The issue is however, few 'short distant' athletes take "performance enhancing drugs" that was so 70's and early 80's. Most however, do imbibe out of season, in taking concoctions which assist to off set the demands of their training regime and help them to recover much quicker, to be ready for another intensive training period. It's this that the system are alert to and endeavour to control by out of competition season testing.

The word - 'drug' has an emotive edge to it. Define it please? As one Olympic official remarked - " I didn't know that so many of the middle distance runners were asthmatic" following an observation of the then numbers using nebulisors.(sp?)

10. Everbody knows the rules. You get caught you get punished.
    Thats the way it is and thats the way it should be, **** him. He cheated.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Oh, he cheated. But so did everyone else. He was just unlucky enough to get caught and have an example made of him.

• Like Like x 2
  12. In the end he cheated himself. In every other sport you can continue after you have served your punishment. What makes athletics any different?

He should be tested regularly and allowed to compete I say if the Yanks sending their cheats also.

13. The respective governing bodies have a duty of care to their athletes. The pressure to perform, gain sponsorships in what has since become a multi-million dollar business is there and a lot of souls are now prepared to endanger their life for the Andy Wharol moment. They're even prepared to deny their country of origin, if it gets them on the starting blocks, our own woman's national athletic team being the obvious example.

14. Yup. Does that mean he deserves absolution? Not as far as I can see.
    If he is forgiven and excused punishment whats the point in having the rules in the first place?

He cheated, he got caught, he got the punishment he knew he would get under the circumstances. Exactly the way it should be.

15. Let every athlete take all the drugs they like, and may the best chemist/dealer win.