DVLA

I PX'd our old car for a new one at the end of May. All paperwork sent off to DVLA.

Had a letter through the post telling me that the old car is uninsured and that if I don't sort it out DVLA will be sending me a fine?
Now, if I've upheld my side of things by informing them that I'm no longer the keeper of the vehicle , how the hell can they justify fining me?

I PX'd our old car for a new one at the end of May. All paperwork sent off to DVLA.

Had a letter through the post telling me that the old car is uninsured and that if I don't sort it out DVLA will be sending me a fine?
Now, if I've upheld my side of things by informing them that I'm no longer the keeper of the vehicle , how the hell can they justify fining me?
Did you get the confirmation slip back from them? If so, photocopy it and send the copy back saying “not me guv”.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
All this computerisation, it's only as good as the information that is put in, I suppose they are bound to feck up once in a while bearing in mind the huge volume of work they have.
I suppose if they bounce this back you could ask for a letter from the dealer you dealt with. Good luck.

Fairly common if it's an old cheap car.
Happened to one of the neighbours who sold daughter's 10 year old Peugeot for cash.
Turned out it had been bought by the local chavvery and was not taxed or insured but still running round a well known local sink estate.

I always take a copy of the V5 on my phone when I sell a car.

Who did you get the letter from? I got one that threatened something similar but they were nothing to do with the DVLA it was from some insurance representatives group.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ahhhh. I've already sent the V5 off, Two months ago. I've typed up the covering letter literally Two minutes ago. It's in the post this afternoon.
The DVLA are pretty good at sorting things out in my experience so perhaps you will get a quick result.

Slight thread drift: for true incompetency the Thames Crossing Toll are hard to beat and are well recognised for sending out £30 demands for non-payment incorrectly, and won't be budged by facts. Difficult to say 'steer clear' though!

Fairly common if it's an old cheap car.
Happened to one of the neighbours who sold daughter's 10 year old Peugeot for cash.
Turned out it had been bought by the local chavvery and was not taxed or insured but still running round a well known local sink estate.

I always take a copy of the V5 on my phone when I sell a car.

If memory serves, when you sell/transfer a vehicle it is your responsibility to send off the "log book" (V5?). The new keeper gets the tear of slip as a temporary V5. (?)

Why would DVLA send a fine if no insurance ? They deal with tax,Licence
No inurance = no tax disc or whatever it's called today ( yes i know no paper disc anymore) if a car is pinged for no insurance thats done by the police not DVLA

MID. Motor insurance database people. Links to DVLA website on the letter.
That's the people who sent me one. I don't think they are owned by the state.

Edit, I've just googled them, They are run by Experian (the credit rating firm) And are known to send out "advisory" letters written in such a way it doesnt look like advice but carry no authority.

If memory serves, when you sell/transfer a vehicle it is your responsibility to send off the "log book" (V5?). The new keeper gets the tear of slip as a temporary V5. (?)
Yes. When you sell the vehicle, you keep the V5, filled in with the new owners details and you hand the new owner slip over. You send off the V5, best to photocopy it first. The new owner can use the slip to buy tax, old slip at a post office, new slip online. It can also be used to buy number plates.