DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

There’s a few videos on YouTube from truck drivers with their own channels, explaining why many have left the industry. Putting pay and working conditions aside, it’s the rules and laws too.
VOSA particularly, not so much traffic cops, who look for any infringements, truck drivers getting points and big fines for errors such as being overloaded, loose straps, vehicle defects, going over drivers hours, anything they can find.
With all this to worry about, I can see why drivers leave the industry, if they’re a target for the hi viz brigade, who for the vast majority have never drove a truck before themselves.

I’ve just dug my HGV licence out and applied for a job, which I’ve already been interviewed for.
Working for Veolia at a waste transfer site. Basically transfer containers to and from other sites, to empty or drop off empties.
This is 5 days a week, just shy of 30 k.
Shifts are 7-5. Anyone done this type of work?

Schmoe

War Hero
I’ve just dug my HGV licence out and applied for a job, which I’ve already been interviewed for.
Working for Veolia at a waste transfer site. Basically transfer containers to and from other sites, to empty or drop off empties.
I’ve done it, I’m guessing RoRo work. Easy work, but I am certain that you can do better once you’ve regained experience that may have faded.

Did this Class2 via an agency long.term placement for a different firm, it was ro/ro hook lorry work which is easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Old kit. Road legal side of things taken care of with absolute pedantry to keep the office staff jobs safe, but the 'working ' kit which is meant to keep you physically safe in shocking condition.

Sensors bypassed, often with a hammer, bins bent out of shape, bin doors dry and rusty etc etc.

The tiniest in house regulation enforced by instant dismissal.

S I instantly dismissed them after a bin door I had levered shut with a crow bar, a lump hammer and a block of wood suddenly pinged open and knocked my upper front teeth out.

Also overtime calculated on a monthly basis, so if any is due towards the end of the month the odd shift is shortened so you don't get any.

Typical lorry driver stuff really.

They're advertising like mad just now with no takers - wonder why?

Schmoe

War Hero
Did this Class2 via an agency long.term placement for a different firm, it was ro/ro hook lorry work which is easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Old kit. Road legal side of things taken care of with absolute pedantry to keep the office staff jobs safe, but the 'working ' kit which is meant to keep you physically safe in shocking condition.

Sensors bypassed, often with a hammer, bins bent out of shape, bin doors dry and rusty etc etc.

The tiniest in house regulation enforced by instant dismissal.

S I instantly dismissed them after a bin door I had levered shut with a crow bar, a lump hammer and a block of wood suddenly pinged open and knocked my upper front teeth out.

Also overtime calculated on a monthly basis, so if any is due towards the end of the month the odd shift is shortened so you don't get any.

Typical lorry driver stuff really.

They're advertising like mad just now with no takers - wonder why?
Says his job is with Veolia, big companies tend not to have as shit a bins as I’ve had to deliver. Swear to God, I’ve delivered bins held together by ratchet straps!

One of my fellow drivers would deliver anything, wouldn’t put it past him to deliver just the bit that the hook attached to!

Thanks guys. My only experience of truck work is from the army, the vehicles we used were DROPPS- leyland Daf with a roll on roll off system . Haven’t done this since 2009, been driving buses on and off since 2011.
The buses wages have stagnated too much, currently stuck on 11.20 ph. And cost of livings going up.
Explained this to recruitment lady on phone, she still invited me for an interview.
Is it really a bad job to go for?

Schmoe

War Hero
Thanks guys. My only experience of truck work is from the army, the vehicles we used were DROPPS- leyland Daf with a roll on roll off system . Haven’t done this since 2009, been driving buses on and off since 2011.
The buses wages have stagnated too much, currently stuck on 11.20 ph. And cost of livings going up.
Explained this to recruitment lady on phone, she still invited me for an interview.
Not at all, it’s your first steps back into lorry driving. Once you have your feet under the table, you are off and running.

No Boots

Old-Salt
Not being a military type I would have thought the DROPPS would be quite similar, driving is driving really, you are used to a rigid so not much different except no self loading freight.
ETA you will be fine

Not being a military type I would have thought the DROPPS would be quite similar, driving is driving really, you are used to a rigid so not much different except no self loading freight.
ETA you will be fine

IIRC correctly, DROPS was only a variation on the existing hook loader systems.

No, I wouldn't say that at all as long as the company is vaguely OK.

It's on the 'rough' side of the lorry world - hi viz, hard hats and rigger boots - and anything to do with waste has it's own special 'character' but it will be good experience and you will learn a lot quickly which will stand you in good stead when you want to move on.

The industry at the moment is basically in a 'When can you start?' situation.
Take some time to go through all the companies in your area, and decide what it is you'd be comfortable doing.
The replies you've had offer good advice, and to put your mind at rest, if you decide that one company isn't right for you, then you can literally hand in your notice and find something else fairly quickly.

The government has done a U- turn. Shock ! They’re allowing a number of EU workers to come over to work on a short term basis...
Let’s see what happens...

The industry at the moment is basically in a 'When can you start?' situation.
Take some time to go through all the companies in your area, and decide what it is you'd be comfortable doing.
The replies you've had offer good advice, and to put your mind at rest, if you decide that one company isn't right for you, then you can literally hand in your notice and find something else fairly quickly.

What’s attracted me is the pay seems ok and only 15 minutes away from my house...

The government has done a U- turn. Shock ! They’re allowing a number of EU workers to come over to work on a short term basis...

There's a lot of comment suggesting they're happy where they are and won't come. Or we get the drivers who are unemployable in their own countries!

No, I wouldn't say that at all as long as the company is vaguely OK.

It's on the 'rough' side of the lorry world - hi viz, hard hats and rigger boots - and anything to do with waste has it's own special 'character' but it will be good experience and you will learn a lot quickly which will stand you in good stead when you want to move on.

Yes, I've come across a lot of really good people at the "rough end". All I'd say is don't wear your best clothes.

There's a lot of comment suggesting they're happy where they are and won't come. Or we get the drivers who are unemployable in their own countries!
Who the hell would want to move to the UK for only three months and go through all the nause of getting set up, only to be F'd off again just around Christmas? The lure would have to be amazing. If you offered a package good enough to attract foreigners on that deal, then you would also be offering enough to tempt back those UK nationals that left the job because of poor pay and conditions. Ironic or what?

Last edited:

Schmoe

War Hero
Something to be aware of with RoRo, is that they’re variable height vehicles. Make sure you know the height of your vehicle after picking up a bin!