DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

I'll confess to not having read every entry on the thread, but I did skim and couldn't see this subject broached. We are moving to UK next year and our son is moving with us. He is a C+E driver and has been doing it full time for 10 years or so. He passed his C+E test in the UK, but presently has a German licence and all his CPC stuff is also German.

Do any of you know how difficult it might be for him to get a job in the UK, how difficult it is or isn't to get UK CPC quals (If that is even necessary) and any idea what the actual employment market is like for someone in his situation? I suppose you could say he has extensive experience of driving on the continent and speaks at least one of the lingos.

I'd be grateful for any guidance the SMEs on here may be able to provide.

I'll confess to not having read every entry on the thread, but I did skim and couldn't see this subject broached. We are moving to UK next year and our son is moving with us. He is a C+E driver and has been doing it full time for 10 years or so. He passed his C+E test in the UK, but presently has a German licence and all his CPC stuff is also German.

Do any of you know how difficult it might be for him to get a job in the UK, how difficult it is or isn't to get UK CPC quals (If that is even necessary) and any idea what the actual employment market is like for someone in his situation? I suppose you could say he has extensive experience of driving on the continent and speaks at least one of the lingos.

Not sure tbh but his German licence should be transferable to a UK one and as far as I know the CPC standards are still aligned with the EU.
He will have to change his licence to UK and at worst re do his CPC which he could do online pretty easily.

The good news is he will walk in to a job in a heartbeat. I would recommend he keeps copies of his German licence to prove experience as when transferred to UK it will show a different valid from date.

Its scandalous that people have had to national/regional or local politicians to get things moving.
But 12 weeks or 3 months or 0.25 of a year is a long time, pre covid on average 7-21 days or quicker.
For basic renewal at the age groups & medical form with no major issues it takes 14 weeks on average.

But very good news your licence is being processed.
Is your digi card up to date or that is another 2-4 weeks wait.

I'll need a new card, mine has a expiry date of 2 years after it's issued so the old one won't be valid if I get my licence renewed

In theory I shouldn't even be on a medical licence now, as my health has improved to be outside the scope of needing one, that's why the online form rejected my application it didn't like changed circumstances at all, and probably complicated the renewal through the normal channels

Not sure tbh but his German licence should be transferable to a UK one and as far as I know the CPC standards are still aligned with the EU.
He will have to change his licence to UK and at worst re do his CPC which he could do online pretty easily.

The good news is he will walk in to a job in a heartbeat. I would recommend he keeps copies of his German licence to prove experience as when transferred to UK it will show a different valid from date.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Has anyone worked as a HGV driver for any of the courier companies? Hermes and FedEx are recruiting for drivers. Class 1 and 2.
Anyone got any advice?

Last edited:

Truxx

LE

Sounds a shoe-in for DHL.

Where are you moving to? I have a number of excellent contacts.

You still short of chauffeurs in the UK at the moment?

Attachments

• IMG-20210916-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210916-WA0004.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 33

Truxx

LE
Harrogate, Leeds, York neck of the woods.

Why DHL? Is that good or baaaaaaad?
They are recruiting like mad and will take your lads previous experience seriously. Lots of ex mil in the management chain too.

But another thought springs to mind - Metcalf farms in your proposed neck of the woods. They do a lot of MO D work and I know they are recruiting.

For a good steady number DST are always after experienced folks as instructors. Instructor training given....

They are recruiting like mad and will take your lads previous experience seriously. Lots of ex mil in the management chain too.

But another thought springs to mind - Metcalf farms in your proposed neck of the woods. They do a lot of MO D work and I know they are recruiting.

For a good steady number DST are always after experienced folks as instructors. Instructor training given....
You're a star, thanks.

Truxx

LE
Are DHL good to work for? Is it mainly class 1 work?
All sorts from dray work to long haul international. Like many big set ups it is made up of a whole bunch of differing trading entities from courier to air freight. Fun Fact DHL flew aircraft into Baghdad throughout the invasion of Iraq including one aircraft badly shot up. They do their own in house CPC training plus provide good career prospects. They are currently offering a 1500 quid golden handshake in some areas.

ETA I wonder where I should send my invoice for services to DHL recruiting?

All sorts from dray work to long haul international. Like many big set ups it is made up of a whole bunch of differing trading entities from courier to air freight. Fun Fact DHL flew aircraft into Baghdad throughout the invasion of Iraq including one aircraft badly shot up. They do their own in house CPC training plus provide good career prospects. They are currently offering a 1500 quid golden handshake in some areas.

Could be interested if they pay my medical for licence I have let that lapse.

What’s a typical duty for a class 2 driver? Start at depot and lots of multi drops?

RTU'd

LE
I'll need a new card, mine has a expiry date of 2 years after it's issued so the old one won't be valid if I get my licence renewed

In theory I shouldn't even be on a medical licence now, as my health has improved to be outside the scope of needing one, that's why the online form rejected my application it didn't like changed circumstances at all, and probably complicated the renewal through the normal channels
if you 45/50/55 or 60 you need a medical.
Just looking at the moment at agency driving on a Saturday night?
Anything from £13 to £22 per hour from LGV C trunking.

Daz

LE
Play hard ball with agencies over pay, as if they are offering you £15 per Hr the client is paying them £20+.
Out of the charge rate, there's NI and Employers tax to deduct, along with pension contributions and holiday pay accrual etc ..... it's almost like some people think agencies should work for nothing as they clearly don't understand what costs are involved

Truxx

LE
What’s a typical duty for a class 2 driver? Start at depot and lots of multi drops?
Depends

A mate of mine started as a drayman. Half a dozen pub drops in a day and a pint in every one...

He does class I tramping now.

So it very much depends which bit of the set up you end up in.

Latest Threads