DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

I still p*ss myself after unloading a tonne pallet of coal at a customer who wanted it dragged down a gravel drive with a pump truck, yes darling no problem I'll just put the pump truck away and move the lorry then I'll handball it to your outhouse - probably done by some muppet but it wasn't me.

Made me feel old, I remember seeing miners free coal literally tipped in the street. Then the poor old pensioners had to shovel it into the cellar or barrow it into the back yard before anyone nicked it.

Coal boys were properly hard, thick leather waistcoats and cwt bags hand balled from the waggon to the coal shed out the back close.
Takes me back to when we were kids. Sacks taken on back and emptied over the shoulder into coal hole.
As a complete aside, my mum and dad had just got a spaniel pup the day before a delivery. Coal man gave pup such a fright she always freaked out at men in coats for her remaining 16 years. Even ones she knew well.

Having skimmed through this, and seeing the usual guff from the bellend Shapps on the Guvmint website, just a thought.
Is anyone surprised at the ‘discovery’ that drivers are getting older, when the same is true of a lot of other occupations? Agriculture, for example.
So we are all getting older. That’s nice.
I have seen countless articles over the years saying truck driving will certainly be automated by about now, benefits of robotics etc.
(My brothers both drive goods vehicles for a living, both said “if only”).
Now HMG wants youngsters to leap into this job? And then extol the benefits of non-existence?

RTU'd

LE
Shock Horror, I now have my new vocational driving licence back today!!
Only took a mere 12 weeks.

Used MP to push it through.
Now only need a new Digi Card (helps if you have your licence) takes up to 28 days.

I do however feel for the staff at DVLA as poor & low morale, strike action against working conditions & hit by covid and a massive backlog of applications to get through. HOWEVER if you are sending back your renewal at 45/50/55 or 60 YOU MUST send it recorded/special delivery so if they need to find it in the thousand of letters a day they can!

I did email the complaints team at DVLA and they replied some 32 days later!!

Shock Horror, I now have my new vocational driving licence back today!!
Only took a mere 12 weeks.

Used MP to push it through.
Now only need a new Digi Card (helps if you have your licence) takes up to 28 days.

I do however feel for the staff at DVLA as poor & low morale, strike action against working conditions & hit by covid and a massive backlog of applications to get through. HOWEVER if you are sending back your renewal at 45/50/55 or 60 YOU MUST send it recorded/special delivery so if they need to find it in the thousand of letters a day they can!

I did email the complaints team at DVLA and they replied some 32 days later!!

Not quite that good but after over five months, I finally got notification that they were processing my medical licence renewal

The one that says your ok to drive if you used to have a licence, unless you're not

RTU'd

LE
Not quite that good but after over five months, I finally got notification that they were processing my medical licence renewal

The one that says your ok to drive if you used to have a licence, unless you're not
Its scandalous that people have had to national/regional or local politicians to get things moving.
But 12 weeks or 3 months or 0.25 of a year is a long time, pre covid on average 7-21 days or quicker.
For basic renewal at the age groups & medical form with no major issues it takes 14 weeks on average.

But very good news your licence is being processed.
Is your digi card up to date or that is another 2-4 weeks wait.

Last edited:
Would anyone recommend going to to LGV driving then? Had a look on Trucknet and it seems the general consensus is that morale is way down in the industry.
Yet with the current shortages and pay increases, maybe nows a good time?

syrup

LE
Would anyone recommend going to to LGV driving then? Had a look on Trucknet and it seems the general consensus is that morale is way down in the industry.
Yet with the current shortages and pay increases, maybe nows a good time?

I'd recommend it

One thing to remember there is far more choices out there now.

A few years back bosses didn't give a toss about their drivers you could like it or lump it because they had a rake of Poles or Romanians waiting to take the jobs.
Now the drivers have choices and can pick and choose where they want to work.

The £10 per hour guys are struggling to fill seats the £15 per hour guys aren't.

Me personally I'll start looking with the agency in a month or so the run up to Christmas is coming.
A few more scare stories about shortages at Christmas will keep the rates going up nicely and I'll pick and choose my shifts

Personally I have no issues sitting in an RDC waiting room as long as I'm being well paid for it

Truxx

LE
Next time you see any bollox on twitter or fizzogbook from folks bleating about this all to do with Brexit cut,and post this as a response:

From Whites Transport Services.

Brakes Newark is another RDC on my list we will never go to again.

This morning we had a driver arrive slightly late due to being held up in an accident. Driver used his initiative to call them to explain. When he arrived he was sin binned. After 5hrs of waiting they told the driver they will not unload today and come back at 10:20 tomorrow. Over 25hrs of waiting because we were a bit late.

This means we failed the 2 onward loads and let down 2 important customers.

Next time you see any bollox on twitter or fizzogbook from folks bleating about this all to do with Brexit cut,and post this as a response:

From Whites Transport Services.

Brakes Newark is another RDC on my list we will never go to again.

This morning we had a driver arrive slightly late due to being held up in an accident. Driver used his initiative to call them to explain. When he arrived he was sin binned. After 5hrs of waiting they told the driver they will not unload today and come back at 10:20 tomorrow. Over 25hrs of waiting because we were a bit late.

This means we failed the 2 onward loads and let down 2 important customers.

Strange how we don't see any of these stories on the TV.

What happened to the "can do" attitude? Are all the RDC's full of f*ckwits?

kieren21

Clanker
I can understand the stackers and FLT drivers taking the p*ss, but surely they have managers with enough brain cells to stamp on this sort of thing?
For so long there has been minimal pushback from hauliers.
There aren’t any real consequences for RDC’s who act in this manner. Well…. Until recently where it’s turning a corner a bit.

Dropped out of driving after finding better paid employment elsewhere, used to keep my eye in driving for agencies but gave that up when the red tape became daft.

I can understand the stackers and FLT drivers taking the p*ss, but surely they have managers with enough brain cells to stamp on this sort of thing?

We are a food manufacturer with a couple of factories plus distribution sites

A couple of years ago I had to sit the grownups down and explain some facts of life. Our warehouse staff were routinely holding HGV's delivering to us for several hours in a que, mostly through ineptitude.
To be fair they listened and instituted a system of recording arrival and departure times for incoming deliveries which quiclky revelaed that the times were excessive, particularly 08.00-10.00

Within a fortnight a booking in system (with inbuilt flexibility was introduced to even out the flow of incoming vehicles and the warehouse required to explain themselves anytime a vehicle was onsite for more than 30 minutes.
Now its rare for anybody to wait for more than 15 minutes before being tipped

Left to their own devices the warehouse would have left vehicles waiting for hours and it took quite some time for them to get used to the idea that making people wait interminably was not acceptable.

Latest Threads