DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

No Boots

Clanker
I still have cold sweats about delivering multirop in central Manchester in a 26 tonner.
I still p*ss myself after unloading a tonne pallet of coal at a customer who wanted it dragged down a gravel drive with a pump truck, yes darling no problem I'll just put the pump truck away and move the lorry then I'll handball it to your outhouse - probably done by some muppet but it wasn't me.

Just looked into this - didnt know there were exceptions from the CPC training since I qualified in 1995.

1631084519894.png

Truxx

LE
Just looked into this - didnt know there were exceptions from the CPC training since I qualified in 1995.

View attachment 602538
Ah

Not entirely correct, it seems.

If you qualify under those points, you don't need to do mod.2 and mod. 4. (Initial drivers CPC)

You just need to do the required 35 hours in the classroom.

But you can elect to do the initial CPC if you wish, and this will also cover you for the first 5 years

New drivers (or those that don't qualify) MUST do mod 2 and 4

I think this hails from a time when DCPC was first introduced, and there was a 5 year "grace" period.

I think the Palletline job will be a haulier who is a member of the Palletline network.
Palletline themselves don't employ drivers, it's a co operative of hauliers nationwide who deliver pallets into a central hub, which then get distributed by various hauliers across the country.
Example...
Company A is based in Glasgow and has goods going to Devon.
Company B is based in Devon and has goods going to Glasgow.
Both companies drop off their pallets at a hub in the Midlands.
Company A then delivers company B's pallets and vice versa, rather than both companies vehicles passing each other on the way north and south.
I've done this type of work, and you'll basically be collecting pallets from customers local to the haulier, and dropping them into the nearest Palletline depot.

What sort of times would the pallet drivers start and finish typically?

syrup

LE

The Hubs are 24/7 so drivers can start at all times
Ultimately you have maybe a day driver doing a rake of collections during the day for a night driver to deliver and collect from the HUB at nights.

Ah

Not entirely correct, it seems.

If you qualify under those points, you don't need to do mod.2 and mod. 4. (Initial drivers CPC)

You just need to do the required 35 hours in the classroom.

But you can elect to do the initial CPC if you wish, and this will also cover you for the first 5 years

New drivers (or those that don't qualify) MUST do mod 2 and 4

I think this hails from a time when DCPC was first introduced, and there was a 5 year "grace" period.
Im no longer in the Army so I assume this means I am exempt from the above

Truxx

LE
Im no longer in the Army so I assume this means I am exempt from the above

Sadly no. That document harks back to the time when CPC was being introduced.

Various start times.
A lot of the pallets are collected overnight, sorted out from 04.00 onwards, and prioritised.
Customers who pay for next day delivery are obviously scheduled first, so some drivers will be starting at 06.00, others will be staggered throughout the day.
As @syrup said, it's ongoing, 24 hours, you can basically ask for a start time, however, finish times in transport have to be flexible, for obvious reasons.

Truxx

LE
On pallet movement I can say without hesitation that I have no idea what the start times are but all deliveries to me happen about 2 minutes after I put the forklift to bed.

On a friday.

Never been a civilian hgv driver, but it seems class 2 work is mainly multi drop and class 1 more the longer distance work.
Waitrose are offering good pay for their supermarkets distribution centres.
I’d say for class one stuff, supermarkets is better if you want to go home everyday and not be too far from home?...

2000AD

Old-Salt
Well this will end well won’t it?’
The government has shortened the hgv test, no reversing required and no couple or uncouple exercise.

Blimey. I wish I'd waited a year to do my licence it would have been a piece of pish.

Seriously now. I think that is a potential move towards trouble. Glad I did my test before these changes. Going on the two assessments I've just done, I don't think there will be any greater uptake for newer drivers in some of the larger companies if the have to fo to the hassle of teaching how to reverse and couple and uncouple safely? Are they going to have enough staff on hand to take time out to instruct these things?

Truxx

LE
Blimey. I wish I'd waited a year to do my licence it would have been a piece of pish.

Seriously now. I think that is a potential move towards trouble. Glad I did my test before these changes. Going on the two assessments I've just done, I don't think there will be any greater uptake for newer drivers in some of the larger companies if the have to fo to the hassle of teaching how to reverse and couple and uncouple safely? Are they going to have enough staff on hand to take time out to instruct these things?
I disagree. It will still have to be signed off by the instructor and besides, if anyone thinks the reversing exercise is representative of life in the real world then they might want to rethink.

As for coupling and uncoupling even now, plenty of even old hands cock it up.

Well this will end well won’t it?’
The government has shortened the hgv test, no reversing required and no couple or uncouple exercise.

I couldn't see anything in there about time-scale for these changes, only says they're going to "proceed with..."

IIRC the consultation said they would rely on trainers to check trainees were OK with reversing and coupling before they went for test. I assumed this would need some sort of "QA" procedure, with trainers being told exactly what they should assess and how. Setting all this up will take time, so when will the "benefits" start to flow through the system? Next spring?

Latest Threads