DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

syrup

LE
Cabotage is the freedom to hawk your trade on someone else's turf, A UK haulier has to have an Operators Licence and be subject to a bucketload of regulation. Cabotage is when a truck comes into UK with a load of Spanish tomatoes then instead of driving back again, possibly with a load, instead trolls around UK moving UK loads from place to place. Previously they were limited to three of those jobs in a week, then as part of brexit that went down to 2 (cue bedwetting from countless remoaners).

Conversation with my man in DHL. No-one knows where this latest bright idea came from. Uptake will be slim to nil in his view, JIT flows in both directions, thus a truckload of parts coming in for Jaguars heads straight back with a load of parts for landrover production in Hungary or whatever.

Another snippet from someone who knows what he is talking about. Felixstowe is clogged up with containers of PPE no- one wants.

What a lot of European hauliers used to do is send 1 unit and trailer across and 6 unaccompanied trailers
He would then spend all week delivering and reloading and take a back load back himself
Cabotage rules have always been quite hard to enforce and you really need to catch them at it and get hold of the drivers doc's

As you say it won't make much difference, hauliers won't lose contracts over it because a cabotage haulier has kicked it
The work will be low paid stuff out of clearing houses that few people will want anyway.

However it's almost as if HMG wants to call the RAH's bluff on everything they say or do.

We want cheap drivers from Europe
There you go they're even bringing their own trucks

kieren21

Clanker
What a lot of European hauliers used to do is send 1 unit and trailer across and 6 unaccompanied trailers
He would then spend all week delivering and reloading and take a back load back himself
Cabotage rules have always been quite hard to enforce and you really need to catch them at it and get hold of the drivers doc's

As you say it won't make much difference, hauliers won't lose contracts over it because a cabotage haulier has kicked it
The work will be low paid stuff out of clearing houses that few people will want anyway.

However it's almost as if HMG wants to call the RAH's bluff on everything they say or do.

We want cheap drivers from Europe
There you go they're even bringing their own trucks

Haven’t seen them for a while but a certain Dutch fridge firm basically based foreign plated tractor units in Immingham doing continual work with their unaccompanied trailers being shipped over.

They made pretty much zero attempt to hide the fact.

They only went back over to the mainland if they got caught out. And then straight back in to carry on.

Bidfood recruiting drivers. Anyone got experience of this company?
Same as Brakes. Salary of 35£. Seems very good for class 2 work. Why these guys always recruiting?

Bidfood recruiting drivers. Anyone got experience of this company?
Same as Brakes. Salary of 35£. Seems very good for class 2 work. Why these guys always recruiting?

Urban streets, wheeling cages in and out of shops and restaurants, dozens of times a day. Not the easiest job for that money.

Urban streets, wheeling cages in and out of shops and restaurants, dozens of times a day. Not the easiest job for that money.

It’s always seemed like they could get far more work done with a drivers mate

But then that’s a question for the whole of British industry isn’t it? You’ve got this lorry worth a quarter of a million pounds, so why is it spending half of its time parked in a lay-by/depot/RDC

Last edited:
It’s always seemed like they could get far more work done with a drivers mate

But then that’s a question for the whole of British industry isn’t it? You’ve got this lorry worth a quarter of a million pounds, so why is it spending half of its time parked in a lay-by/depot/RDC

That was the old way, wasn't it. A mate who learnt the job, the routes, and the customers and eventually went out with his own lorry, but it's an added cost.

I start my hgv job on Monday after doing bus driving. Haven’t drove a HGV since 2010, in the Army. Apart from a recent assessment drive.
Ive got myself a digital tachograph card, I’ve never used any type of tachograph before !
Just trying to learn some basics on YouTube !
Other than that I’ll learn on the job, only way to do it...

stuskimac

Old-Salt
I start my hgv job on Monday after doing bus driving. Haven’t drove a HGV since 2010, in the Army. Apart from a recent assessment drive.
Ive got myself a digital tachograph card, I’ve never used any type of tachograph before !
Just trying to learn some basics on YouTube !
Other than that I’ll learn on the job, only way to do it...
Good luck, if in doubt ask, don't be afraid to ask other drivers for advice, theres a wealth of experience out there.

Latest Threads