DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

Have you not heard of the AGC(SPS) the paperwork guru's of the army.
As someone needs to sort the mess out before we end up with food shortages, so yes you should get a life.
And how many do you think are not employed in matters, you know the clerical stuff that the Army needs to do.

Truxx

LE
It might be getting worse at DVLA as the PCS Union are going to vote in the next few weeks on more strikes over fears that its 2.5k workforce are at risk from covid. the 3.5k of DVLA staff working from home are not allowed to handle driving licence applications or medical certificates needed to issue HGV licences.

Still 50k backlog of applications.
So they might be getting 5-10k of new drivers a month through but then they wait up to 12 weeks for their licences to come back from DVLA. Suely time to send in the Army on this now?
This particular story is starting to gain a bit of traction. Link it with something I saw yesterday- the idea that licences (like MOTS and Insurance) will soon stop being physical bits of paper/ cards and will be fully digital instead and it is possible that DVLAs day, in its current form, are numbered.

This mirrors my own experience over the last 18 months, where things that are digital/ automated have zoomed through the system whereas anything with a human interface has been dire.

No surprises then that current thinking tends towards automation.

Well done the PCS....

G4Star

Old-Salt
And how many do you think are not employed in matters, you know the clerical stuff that the Army needs to do.
No idea how it would work, but with lorry drivers needed urgently it might help if the PCS Union calls a strike and everything halts at DVLA. I do not have the answer just a suggestion. Current wait for lorry renewal & medical at 45+ is 12 weeks, the medical is only valid by DVLA for 16 weeks, I see issues here.

Putting the SPS in might help the staff at DVLA where morale is through the floor.
It might just might stem the backlog of applications, currently at a mere 55k.
Pre covid & it was normally 7-21 days max.

@Truxx Oh yes this has fallen foul of the PCS who it seems is "protecting" its members and will as expected be used a as bargaining tool with the current issues. A friend at DVLA says most staff would leave if they could find the equivalent job with pension elsewhere. But this is South Wales after all.

No idea how it would work, but with lorry drivers needed urgently it might help if the PCS Union calls a strike and everything halts at DVLA. I do not have the answer just a suggestion. Current wait for lorry renewal & medical at 45+ is 12 weeks, the medical is only valid by DVLA for 16 weeks, I see issues here.

Putting the SPS in might help the staff at DVLA where morale is through the floor.

@Truxx Oh yes this has fallen foul of the PCS who it seems is "protecting" its members and will as expected be used a as bargaining tool with the current issues. A friend at DVLA says most staff would leave if they could find the equivalent job with pension elsewhere. But this is South Wales after all.
So IF and I say IF the services were called on to give clerical assistance, they would have to be trained in the systems and vagaries of the DVLA, where most of their employees are WFH or on strike...can't see anything wrong with that at all.

Truxx

LE

Easy solution, extend Section 88 provision. Trouble is that for many firms you have to have all 3 cards or you don't get behind the wheel.

As for the PCS I have rather too much experience of their approach which remains firmly in the 1970s. Interestingly part of the current tactic is to persuade the medical team to down tools, which is why any medical related licence issue is taking an age.

Right tactic, wrong century.

G4Star

Old-Salt
Easy solution, extend Section 88 provision. Trouble is that for many firms you have to have all 3 cards or you don't get behind the wheel.

As for the PCS I have rather too much experience of their approach which remains firmly in the 1970s. Interestingly part of the current tactic is to persuade the medical team to down tools, which is why any medical related licence issue is taking an age.

Right tactic, wrong century.
And as others have stated before, VOSA enforcement & traffic police officers ask for 3 things.
Driving licence, driver cpc card & digi tacho card, can not see section 88 being the answer.
And who's licence will they give 3 points too, you or some MP who says you can drive!

In our yard we have x5 drivers waiting on DVLA applications to return & another x3 who are newbies to it all.
All doing shunting or shadowing/drivers mate to the rest of us.

G4Star

Old-Salt
So IF and I say IF the services were called on to give clerical assistance, they would have to be trained in the systems and vagaries of the DVLA, where most of their employees are WFH or on strike...can't see anything wrong with that at all.
I don't have the solution & nor do you.
If Mr Shapp's rings me up, I will point him to this thread.

And WTF are the Army going to do there?? Seriously, you honestly think that Gdsman. J Bloggs from the Gren Guards is going to sit at a desk and sift DVLA applications....get a life.
How hard do you think it is to scrutinise a form (Mostly electronically completed, date stored) and make a series of binary decisions? Even a para could do it. You could even make a spreadsheet with 'if/else/and/or' functions to help. It would take about an hour. The people who work in low level CS jobs don't need to be bright, they just need to be able to follow a script.

How hard do you think it is to scrutinise a form (Mostly electronically completed, date stored) and make a series of binary decisions? Even a para could do it. You could even make a spreadsheet with 'if/else/and/or' functions to help. It would take about an hour. The people who work in low level CS jobs don't need to be bright, they just need to be able to follow a script.

Dear Lord! Got to love an optimist.

As a CO I was horrified when the WO2 that I thought was a shoe in for WO1 did not make it while a WO2 of the same surname who was not a contender did.
When I went R Sigs in Glasgow for my mid-career review (Or whatever it was called), they couldn't find my file at first. After waiting a while the SO1 came out with a big grin on his face saying, "We've found it. Someone had spelled your name incorrectly." Added to the fact that they also had the wrong service number written on it, we were off to a flying start.

And another thing...when I reached the 15 year point I went to see the adjt to ask about my LS&GC. A few days later his very fetching assistant got in touch and told me that I would have to submit a letter of mitigation for the regimental entry I had on record...."What?...I don't have any regimental entries." Two days later she called me again and told me there had been a mistake and a 'black spot' had been annotated on the wrong file, at Glasgow, so I would be getting my medal after all.

I think they should run the DVLA forthwith.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
The DVLA that lost around 12.000 motorcycle (Cat A) entitelements off licences and responded by saying "the DVLA do not make mistakes" Including mine

That DVLA?
I was a motorcycle instructor when that started happening.
One of the instructors (serving copper) sent his licence off for change of address and It was returned without his 'A' entitlement, but didn't realise for a couple of months.

Obviously we had copies of our instructors driving licences, and were on the phone as soon as we found out. But, DVLA refused to accept a copy of his licence from us, in case It was a forgery. FFS. He initiated an SAR request, that took 3 months to resolve. No apology, no covering letter, just another licence back with the correct entitlement.

It was bloody scandalous.

I was a motorcycle instructor when that started happening.
One of the instructors (serving copper) sent his licence off for change of address and It was returned without his 'A' entitlement, but didn't realise for a couple of months.

Obviously we had copies of our instructors driving licences, and were on the phone as soon as we found out. But, DVLA refused to accept a copy of his licence from us, in case It was a forgery. FFS. He initiated an SAR request, that took 3 months to resolve. No apology, no covering letter, just another licence back with the correct entitlement.

It was bloody scandalous.

I lost the argument and had to resit my test.

When I went R Sigs in Glasgow for my mid-career review (Or whatever it was called), they couldn't find my file at first. After waiting a while the SO1 came out with a big grin on his face saying, "We've found it. Someone had spelled your name incorrectly." Added to the fact that they also had the wrong service number written on it, we were off to a flying start.

And another thing...when I reached the 15 year point I went to see the adjt to ask about my LS&GC. A few days later his very fetching assistant got in touch and told me that I would have to submit a letter of mitigation for the regimental entry I had on record...."What?...I don't have any regimental entries." Two days later she called me again and told me there had been a mistake and a 'black spot' had been annotated on the wrong file, at Glasgow, so I would be getting my medal after all.

I think they should run the DVLA forthwith.

I had two run ins with Kentigern that could have caused me some serious grief, same surname, different numbers but same last 3 (what are the odds?!). I was very lucky in having the big boss go to town on them on my behalf. There for the grace of whatever diety you do or don't believe go us all. If the big boss hadn't given one....

Truxx

LE
And as others have stated before, VOSA enforcement & traffic police officers ask for 3 things.
Driving licence, driver cpc card & digi tacho card, can not see section 88 being the answer.
And who's licence will they give 3 points too, you or some MP who says you can drive!

In our yard we have x5 drivers waiting on DVLA applications to return & another x3 who are newbies to it all.
Easy fix

Tell them Sect 88 applies and (as I think has been the case for the last 12 months) and drivers will not necessarily be carrying their licence.

Truxx

LE

Easy fix

Tell them Sect 88 applies and (as I think has been the case for the last 12 months) and drivers will not necessarily be carrying their licence.

I am pretty sure carrying a licence is not mandatory (it is with DCPC and digital yacho card)

I certainly never carry mine. If directed, you must produce a licence at a Police Station within 7 days, but if you have sent it off to DVLA, and have a record of doing so, the duty bod can easily check with DVLA your entitlement.