DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

The point I am making is that the media are not to blame

This is the sky headline this morning, note the "could last until Christmas"
They have blown this up out of all proportion

View attachment 606918
I did my usual shop at Sainsbury today, 16.00ish on a Friday.
No noticeable shortage of goods, no panic buying or long queues.
I, personally, would lock up every editor and 'journalist' who has been perpetuating this doom and gloom narrative for the last five years.
This issue has really got my goat.

The media have really outclassed themselves with this one. Let's back up a little... So BP said a small number of its service stations were having to close due to driver shortages. The Daily Mail, plus other MSM such as the BBC, Sky, Guardian, etc jumped on this and peppered their front pages with it.

Why?

While nothing they have printed is factually wrong, they've simply seized a business opportunity to capitalise on. Playing to the availability heuristic of the ever-gullible British public, they know how to drive that fear into us. They've been doing a damned good job of it for the best part of two years now. By availability heuristic I mean, what's more serious - a car crash resulting in fatalities, or a few petrol stations having to close? The former seldom makes the headlines despite over 24,000 serious accidents or fatalities per year, but the sad fact is, it doesn't sell papers, it doesn't generate advertising revenue by clicks nor increase viewers on their 24 hour rolling news channels - not like the latter, at least.

Money talks.

And they know full well their respective social media articles are going to attract thousands of comments too, because the country is still bickering over a decision which was made 5 years ago where seemingly a slightly larger half of the country resented foreigners taking their jobs, and the slightly smaller half of the country wanted to carry on exploiting them.

6 days ago there were no queues on forecourts. Now all of a sudden, Kay Burley is asking some Labour MP how much of it is due to Brexit and who's to blame?

You are, Kay. You and your frankenstein-esque best buddy Beth Rigby, along with Laura "talks out the corner of her mouth" Kussenbussenburger, Nick "child scarer" Robinson, Naga Manshushy, Nick Ferrari and all the other chumps who produce this rubbish and belt-feed it to those viewers who pay your salaries. You cause their misery while you're high-fiving each other in your London bars post broadcast over beating your rivals to the punch and eeking away at their viewing figures. And while your smug, arrogant, self-righteous interview techniques may fool your bosses - the rest of us (and by the rest of us, I mean those who haven't bothered filling up yet and couldn't give a toss if there's no turkeys at Xmas) just roll our eyes and try to deal with the inevitable fallout from your utterly irresponsible careless and even dangerous reporting has caused.

Absolute chumps.

There was fuel 6 days ago. There's still fuel now, only you have to queue for hours to get it. What's changed in that time? Have our ADR drivers all suddenly hung their boots up? Have we ran dry?

Nope. The media have taken a negligible molehill and turned it into a bloody mountain. I just wish one of these spineless MPs or Industry reps being interviewed would actually have the balls to call therm out over it.

Rant over.

View attachment 606928
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

anglo

LE
I did my usual shop at Sainsbury today, 16.00ish on a Friday.
No noticeable shortage of goods, no panic buying or long queues.
I, personally, would lock up every editor and 'journalist' who has been perpetuating this doom and gloom narrative for the last five years.
We went to Tesco this morning, all the pumps were open in the fuel station, no panic buying.
All the selves were fully stocked, no shortage of beer either

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

If you liked that, you'll love this...

My rant on Facebook yesterday :

Gotta love it. As a HGV driver I got sent this from the Minister for roads, buses and places in the mail today ⬇️⬇️

Even if I didn't have a full-time job and was struggling for cash, I don't think I'd want to return to doing this. Even in 2001-2003 when I used to work part time for Driver Hire in Wokingham, the hours were totally unsociable, the conditions were poor. Truck stops were expensive, both the food and parking. People treated you like absolute dog-toffee, especially if you were late because - you know - the traffic is all your fault. My name was "oi driver!" for most pick ups and drop offs.

As for the pay... Imagine my surprise to discover the rates of pay are still pretty much the same, nearly 20 years later. And I imagine the conditions haven't improved much either.

Perhaps if the haulage firms (and other so-called low skilled industries) had have treated people better in the first place and not like some expendable asset who didn't matter because they were already rubbing their hands at the thought of exploiting people from another poor EU country about to gain free movement in the UK - then maybe they wouldn't be in the mess they're in right now.

People often say Brexit caused this; I'm inclined to agree from a certain POV. More accurately, I'd say it exposed it. When you see hard working guys washing cars all day long on a promise of opportunity far from their homelands and learn some are being paid £15 for the day, whilst living 10 people to a squalid 3-bed mid terrace and getting fleeced left right and centre, it should spur anyone into taking action. But with half the country seemingly resenting them for being here and the other half happy to continue supporting such exploitation, you can't help think that Covid, DVLA testing backlog and Brexit combining to put a stop to it is actually a blessing in disguise (in some ways), for them at least.

But nobody cares about that do they? Too busy blaming people, demanding "where's my petrol", playing "who's the more important key worker? ".

Biased MSM have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons in causing the panic we're seeing on the forecourts right now. Last Thursday things were relatively calm. By Friday lunchtime they had descended onto chaos, with the MSM gleefully interviewing transport reps, politicians et al later that night asking how much Brexit is to blame. Just once I wanted one of them to say, "you are, Burley! You, the BBC, The Daily Mail, The Sun, ITV News and the rest of the MSM for fuelling the panic which has put lives at risk and brought a nation to its knees, just so you can high-five each other in your trendy London bars later that night at your whopping viewing figures and newspaper sales".

5,000 temporary visas for drivers isn't going to solve this. 5,500 temporary visas for poultry workers isn't going to solve this either. There are shortages all over - why on earth would anyone want to come back to a country which either didn't welcome them, or were happy to exploit them?

The only way through this is to start pointing the finger at where it all began. Greedy industries putting profit over their workers' wellbeing. Because without purpose, without feeling valued and without a sense of belonging - we are nothing. And no amount of money will change that.

The trouble with that? The costs will simply be passed onto the consumer. And the finger pointing and division starts all over again.

Long post. Sorry...!

IMG_20210929_170956_compress83.jpg

syrup

LE
We went to Tesco this morning, all the pumps were open in the fuel station, no panic buying.
All the selves were fully stocked, no shortage of beer either

I was in and out of the petrol station at Tesco at 06:30 this morning
Only there as long as it took to brim her up.

Round by me people only want to panic buy 09:00 - 17:00
At the rest of the time the pumps are empty.

Shop was well stocked also

Gotta love it. As a HGV driver I got sent this from the Minister for roads, buses and places in the mail today ⬇️⬇️

Even if I didn't have a full-time job and was struggling for cash, I don't think I'd want to return to doing this. Even in 2001-2003 when I used to work part time for Driver Hire in Wokingham, the hours were totally unsociable, the conditions were poor. Truck stops were expensive, both the food and parking. People treated you like absolute dog-toffee, especially if you were late because - you know - the traffic is all your fault. My name was "oi driver!" for most pick ups and drop offs.

As for the pay... Imagine my surprise to discover the rates of pay are still pretty much the same, nearly 20 years later. And I imagine the conditions haven't improved much either.

Perhaps if the haulage firms (and other so-called low skilled industries) had have treated people better in the first place and not like some expendable asset who didn't matter because they were already rubbing their hands at the thought of exploiting people from another poor EU country about to gain free movement in the UK - then maybe they wouldn't be in the mess they're in right now.

People often say Brexit caused this; I'm inclined to agree from a certain POV. More accurately, I'd say it exposed it. When you see hard working guys washing cars all day long on a promise of opportunity far from their homelands and learn some are being paid £15 for the day, whilst living 10 people to a squalid 3-bed mid terrace and getting fleeced left right and centre, it should spur anyone into taking action. But with half the country seemingly resenting them for being here and the other half happy to continue supporting such exploitation, you can't help think that Covid, DVLA testing backlog and Brexit combining to put a stop to it is actually a blessing in disguise (in some ways), for them at least.

But nobody cares about that do they? Too busy blaming people, demanding "where's my petrol", playing "who's the more important key worker? ".

Biased MSM have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons in causing the panic we're seeing on the forecourts right now. Last Thursday things were relatively calm. By Friday lunchtime they had descended onto chaos, with the MSM gleefully interviewing transport reps, politicians et al later that night asking how much Brexit is to blame. Just once I wanted one of them to say, "you are, Burley! You, the BBC, The Daily Mail, The Sun, ITV News and the rest of the MSM for fuelling the panic which has put lives at risk and brought a nation to its knees, just so you can high-five each other in your trendy London bars later that night at your whopping viewing figures and newspaper sales".

5,000 temporary visas for drivers isn't going to solve this. 5,500 temporary visas for poultry workers isn't going to solve this either. There are shortages all over - why on earth would anyone want to come back to a country which either didn't welcome them, or were happy to exploit them?

The only way through this is to start pointing the finger at where it all began. Greedy industries putting profit over their workers' wellbeing. Because without purpose, without feeling valued and without a sense of belonging - we are nothing. And no amount of money will change that.

The trouble with that? The costs will simply be passed onto the consumer. And the finger pointing and division starts all over again.

Long post. Sorry...!

View attachment 607613
Don't be sorry for a long post, people need to be seeing this.

Truxx

LE

Long post. Sorry...!

View attachment 607613
Please please top and tail that and send it to all 3 signatories of that letter.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Please please top and tail that and send it to all 3 signatories of that letter.
Top and tail?

Oh dear blah blah, yours sincerely blah blah, you mean?

Good idea, but like they'd give a sh*t...

Truxx

LE
Top and tail?

Oh dear blah blah, yours sincerely blah blah, you mean?

Good idea, but like they'd give a sh*t...
Of course they wouldn't. Send a copy to your MP too. But it is still worth doing. I intend to send my own response this weekend.

Oh and yes - top and tail, just like the baroness did

Of course they wouldn't. Send a copy to your MP too. But it is still worth doing. I intend to send my own response this weekend.

Oh and yes - top and tail, just like the baroness did
If I get that letter, I will be replying in a similar way as @Boris_Johnson. If every recipient did the same, perhaps someone would take notice.

Long post. Sorry...!

View attachment 607613
You think that's funny? Hold my beer...

One 41-year-old German man, who received two copies of the letter at his London home on Friday morning, one addressed to him and another for his wife, told The Independent.

“We were quite surprised,” he said. “I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank. My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity.

“It is nice to know there are specialist jobs available here for us though after Brexit. We would never have been headhunted to drive a lorry if we’d gone back to Germany.”

No Boots

Old-Salt

Long post. Sorry...!

View attachment 607613
Just watched al-beeb newswatch and shock horror they denied they were to blame for causing any panic :eek:

G4Star

Old-Salt
It might be getting worse at DVLA as the PCS Union are going to vote in the next few weeks on more strikes over fears that its 2.5k workforce are at risk from covid. the 3.5k of DVLA staff working from home are not allowed to handle driving licence applications or medical certificates needed to issue HGV licences.

Still 50k backlog of applications.
So they might be getting 5-10k of new drivers a month through but then they wait up to 12 weeks for their licences to come back from DVLA. Suely time to send in the Army on this now?

It might be getting worse at DVLA as the PCS Union are going to vote in the next few weeks on more strikes over fears that its 2.5k workforce are at risk from covid. the 3.5k of DVLA staff working from home are not allowed to handle driving licence applications or medical certificates needed to issue HGV licences.

Still 50k backlog of applications.
So they might be getting 5-10k of new drivers a month through but then they wait up to 12 weeks for their licences to come back from DVLA. Suely time to send in the Army on this now?
And how many HGV drivers do you think the Army possesses these days, do you not think the Army has other operational duties to maintain or are they there for the beck and call of business when they screw up, I see there is never a call on the RAF or Navy to help fill the gaps.

Time we stopped calling on the services and get stuff sorted at business level. by businesses and not wait for it to go tits up and expect the Government to pull their balls out the fire all the time.

G4Star

Old-Salt
And how many HGV drivers do you think the Army possesses these days, do you not think the Army has other operational duties to maintain or are they there for the beck and call of business when they screw up, I see there is never a call on the RAF or Navy to help fill the gaps.

Time we stopped calling on the services and get stuff sorted at business level. by businesses and not wait for it to go tits up and expect the Government to pull their balls out the fire all the time.
Should have added time to call in the Army in to DVLA to sort out the backlog of applications.

Should have added time to call in the Army in to DVLA to sort out the backlog of applications.
And WTF are the Army going to do there?? Seriously, you honestly think that Gdsman. J Bloggs from the Gren Guards is going to sit at a desk and sift DVLA applications....get a life.

G4Star

Old-Salt
And WTF are the Army going to do there?? Seriously, you honestly think that Gdsman. J Bloggs from the Gren Guards is going to sit at a desk and sift DVLA applications....get a life.
Have you not heard of the AGC(SPS) the paperwork guru's of the army.
As someone needs to sort the mess out before we end up with food shortages, so yes you should get a life.

You think that's funny? Hold my beer...

One 41-year-old German man, who received two copies of the letter at his London home on Friday morning, one addressed to him and another for his wife, told The Independent.

“We were quite surprised,” he said. “I’m sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank. My wife has never driven anything larger than a Volvo, so she is also intending to decline the exciting opportunity.

“It is nice to know there are specialist jobs available here for us though after Brexit. We would never have been headhunted to drive a lorry if we’d gone back to Germany.”

I suspect someone in the DOT or No.10 has assumed that Germans have a natural affinity for driving heavy vehicles* through neighbouring countries from a young age without an HGV licence

*This is what you get when the sole source of Government thinking on European History is based on reading 1970s back issues of Commando Magazine - on dull Saturday afternoons when it was too wet to play rugger.
Achtung Panzer! Himmel wine extrawurst haben