DVLA & LGV Driver Shortage

RTU'd

LE
DVLA recently in the news with a backlog of 25k driving licence applications waiting to be processed.
Pre Covid & Strikes by the Swansea workers turnaround was on average 1 to 2 weeks.
Average turnaround now for a vocational licence 6 to 12 weeks and climbing higher.

The UK has a LGV driver shortage crisis in the UK at the moment.
Instead of getting new lorry drivers through tests quicker perhaps flooding DVLA with more staff might help?
As new drivers for C & C+E still have to have their licence go through DVLA and that's where the backlog starts?

But what is the way to solve this issue quickly & without putting more stress on the workers in Swansea?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I see Aldi is paying their drivers more to stop them defecting .

DVLA not striking when there is a massive backlog might help, but then I might be miffed waiting nearly 4 months for a license renewal

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
DVLA not striking when there is a massive backlog might help, but then I might be miffed waiting nearly 4 months for a license renewal

I can feel really smug that I got mine done a few weeks ago. Took about 7 days to get back to me

A problem with an easy solution (although not necessarily easily solved). Haulage firms need to speak to their MPs and raise the issue.

This is just a small issue within the whole problem. Firms have got away with paying inadequate wages for drivers for years, it’s come back to bite them.

I think the consensus is that the only companies suffering a ‘crisis’ are the ones that have spent years happily employing Romanian and Polish drivers at £12 per hour, and wondering why they can’t recruit anymore, and the other companies who can’t recruit because they treat their drivers like shite.

I think the consensus is that the only companies suffering a ‘crisis’ are the ones that have spent years happily employing Romanian and Polish drivers at £12 per hour, and wondering why they can’t recruit anymore, and the other companies who can’t recruit because they treat their drivers like shite.

Everyone is suffering now.

Competition is so strong for drivers payrates are constantly rising
Lots of drivers looking at the greener grass and jumping ship, even from what have been reasonably paid jobs up until now.

Everyone is suffering now.

Competition is so strong for drivers payrates are constantly rising
Lots of drivers looking at the greener grass and jumping ship, even from what have been reasonably paid jobs up until now.

More power to their excessively tanned right elbow.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
so do you have to do a medical & eye test after 50 in the UK ? to keep your LGV /HGV
DVLA require existing lorry drivers to have a medical at the age of 45 and then every five years until the age of 65. After 65, the medical has to be done every year. DVLA will usually send out a reminder letter, together with the D4 Medical Form, a few weeks before your medical is due.

Big Jim

Old-Salt
DVLA require existing lorry drivers to have a medical at the age of 45 and then every five years until the age of 65. After 65, the medical has to be done every year. DVLA will usually send out a reminder letter, together with the D4 Medical Form, a few weeks before your medical is due.
asking because i had to do a medical & eye test at 50 in Germany. It´s running out in a couple of months but i phoned them & they said it goes on "freeze" for 5 years if not renewed. Then after that you might have to do Driver training or a new test.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
asking because i had to do a medical & eye test at 50 in Germany. It´s running out in a couple of months but i phoned them & they said it goes on "freeze" for 5 years if not renewed. Then after that you might have to do Driver training or a new test.
I'm assuming your approaching 55? if you wish to carry on driving LGV's you will need a medical to renew your licence, if you don't renew within 5 years you MIGHT lose your LGV entitlement part of your driving licence & have to take an LGV test again to get it back. If your licence has expired & you've not renewed your licence, you cannot legaly drive an LGV on the road, as far as I'm aware, but I stand to be corrected (goal post seem to be changing alot these days!)

Big Jim

Old-Salt
I'm assuming your approaching 55? if you wish to carry on driving LGV's you will need a medical to renew your licence, if you don't renew within 5 years you MIGHT lose your LGV entitlement part of your driving licence & have to take an LGV test again to get it back. If your licence has expired & you've not renewed your licence, you cannot legaly drive an LGV on the road, as far as I'm aware, but I stand to be corrected (goal post seem to be changing alot these days!)
well i am in Germany & yes in two months i can´t drive it untill renewed. It´s every 5 years so i am 55. Do not lose it as i wrote it is still "frozen " for 5 years after that i probably will lose it for ever. not that i really care as i do not drive HGV anymore.

DVLA recently in the news with a backlog of 25k driving licence applications waiting to be processed.
Pre Covid & Strikes by the Swansea workers turnaround was on average 1 to 2 weeks.
Average turnaround now for a vocational licence 6 to 12 weeks and climbing higher.

The UK has a LGV driver shortage crisis in the UK at the moment.
Instead of getting new lorry drivers through tests quicker perhaps flooding DVLA with more staff might help?
As new drivers for C & C+E still have to have their licence go through DVLA and that's where the backlog starts?

But what is the way to solve this issue quickly & without putting more stress on the workers in Swansea?
This is a very good question.
Mine is up for renewal before October, I have no doubt that I will pass the medical, but I'm a bit concerned at how quickly it will be processed.
Six to twelve weeks and climbing doesn't sound good.

stuskimac

Old-Salt
Mine is up for renewal before October, I have no doubt that I will pass the medical, but I'm a bit concerned at how quickly it will be processed.
I deffered my medical last year due to covid, so i'll have to renew mine in Nov this year, I'm hoping the backlog will be cleared by then, but I am a little concerned. Although I believe as long as you have passed your medical (i,e signed fit by a GP) & sent it off to DVLA you can continue to drive?

Provided the quack doesn't tell you otherwise you will be able to continue to work

RTU'd

LE
You are correct & to cap it all direct from a DVLA Fleet Operator email today, whilst you are waiting for your lorry licence renewal to be done you can not drive an LGV until you get your licence back, as this would be breaking the law!!

So I complied with the law.
Had & passed my LGV medical.
Got my new photo counter signed by a professional person.
Sent off my application in plenty of time.

And now wait.

Driver CPC all in date till 2024.
Digi Card in date.
ALLMI Lorry Loader in date.

But, no I can not drive.

Road haulage industry in crisis?
Has been for years with poor pay & conditions.

Got phoned up by an agency offering me LGV C work on a Saturday night out of Heathrow.
A to B driving, no multi drop and pay from £20 to £25 an hour for a 12 hour shift.

But hang on, my licence is still at DVLA!!

Latest Threads