DVD to BD

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by chrisg46, Aug 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Folks, i have made the leap from DVD to Blu-Ray.

Any suggestions for what "must-have" films to get, that are spectacular on blue-ray? What DVD's, if any, should i replace with BD?

So far, i have got;
    A-Team
    Battle: Los Angeles
    Never ending Story (Keeps the wife happy as i didnt tell her i was getting the above :) )

2. Can't believe you wasted your beer tokens on those films!

3. You have in your Blu ray collection quite possibly, the four greatest works ever commited to film. To add to your library would only be to dilute its quality.

4. Saving Private Ryan,if you have a decent sound system
    Apocalypse now,again you really need a good sound system
    Basically any of your favourite films as long as you spend a bit on a decent sound set up,some fims which are average really come alive because of the better sound.An example is the flight of the phoenix which in my opinion is a cack film becomes brilliant when you hear the part where the plane gets hit by the storm.

5. "The Never-Ending Story" *shudders* :x I would beat up that kid for his lunch money too. :p Try "Titanic" with Leo & Kate. It's an older film but I"m told that chicks still dig it. As for you, any of the Terminator franchise would be good to have in BD. The franchises that end in "-Man" e.g. "Spiderman", "Superman". "Batman", etc, look impressive in BD as well.

6. All the pirates of the Caribbean films
    District 9
    Tron Legacy (for the music and special effects)
    Sucker Punch (babes and special effects)

7. I second the sound system , try and get a decent Hdmi cable aswell . I personally have 3x £70 cables supporting Set top box , Xbox and Theater system player .
    I'd say buy Lord of the rings set if you want a good visual experience .

8. chrisg46

Basically, my film like-o-meter extends to explosions/tits, bigger the better!

Although the never ending story is one that i have no intention of watching! Cant see the appeal of a flying labrador, unless its part of a joke about blind bungee jumpers.

9. Mad Max 2 - The road warrior is amazing on big screen and beautiful on blu ray. May I add that I sold all my discs and have all 1080i content on a couple of 2TB hard disks played through my WD HDTV Player. No more storing scratch prone blu ray disks either.

10. Debbie Does Dallas

Debbie Does Dallas ... Again

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pacific. Box set.

Band of Brothers. Box set.

Bose surround sound. Big volume.

It's like your feckin there man.

13. I too use similar guide as you for films, but for the love of god man...Battle for LA?!!! That has to be one of the most pathetic films ever....along with Inglorious Bastards....

As for never ending story, well you obviously have to make allowances for your **** hole, otherwise you would get none.....and you may have to cook for yourself as well!

14. Blackhawk down.

Generation Kill.

If you don't have the surround sound kit yet, go out and buy that 1st!

15. chrisg46

Right, so currently, my wish list consists of:
    The Pacific
    Band of Brothers
    Black Hawk Down
    LOTR (extended edition)
    Star Wars
    Saving Private Ryan
    Spider/Bat/Superman films
    Pirates of the Caribbean's
    Tron
    Terminator films (Do i have to get T3?)

As for Battle LA, yeeaah, i know what you mean it is rather full of cliche's but i just bypass those bits...