DVD ripping and converting.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by the_beer_man, Jun 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to rip and convert a few DVD'S onto a portable hard drive/stick/memory card. The few programs I've tried have either left a watermark over the picture, not been able to get past the copyright or not converted the audio properly. I'm a bit of a tech biff so simple to use is the order of the day. I did a quick search for previous posts but they're all a bit old so wondered if anyone had any up to date ideas.

2. handbrake.fr
  3. Always used DVD Shrink without any bother.
  4. HandBrake

works on any system, is free, you can convert films to ipod, psp, iriver format, does appletv too

5. If you have blu-rays to rip as well, makeMKV is about the only package I know that can decode them and remove DRM. Unfortunately it's on a limited license, so if you want to use it for longer than the 30-day trial period, you have to pay 40-ish quid to unlock it.
  6. I used to use Auto Gordian Knot and it could do just about anything video file wise, but took a bit of learning. Not used the latest version, might be a bit less fiddly, worth a look..
  7. It works great. If you have a Mac.
  8. Used handbrake in the end. Worked brilliantly......... once. Now won't copy anything else. Thing I'm gonna have to have a play with it.
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I started ripping years ago and ended up downloading other peoples work as it was easier and they were better at it than I was.