DVD movies must haves.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Cloggie, May 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Discussing movies the other night with a few mates we came to the point asking what dvd's we were still missing in our must have collection.

Off the top of my head I came to the conclusion that I miss ;

Ronin.
    Das Boot.

There are certainly countless more that could add to my collection,but I rate these 2 as classic/cult movies and a 1st prio.

So, what classic/cult movies do you miss in your collection to make it complete?

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Das Boot is definitely up there with the best (the original cast dubbed it into English). Band of Brothers is alongside it for sure.

You being a Cloggie, Soldier of Orange is as good as any English movie of the war, as is Black Book, which I think is better.

But for me the best film about the war is Downfall, although off topic I have them all.

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Lawrence of Arabia , on widescreen / Bluray superb.

4. Soldier of Orange, A bridge too far and Bridge over the River Kwai would be on my list.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I was thinking European, but you are right, I watched that at the end of the first Gulf War, and to think he creamed in on a motorbike after all he did. Then again Patton died in a car crash too.

6. Band of Brothers, A Bridge Too Far, Wild Geese, Where Eagles Dare and Blazing Saddles

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Ahhh, Where Eagles Dare, my Dad took me to see that when I was about 10 I think, Herford Cinema at 4 Div.

Which brings in Kelly's Heroes of course, a classic movie.

8. Zulu
    Bridge too far
    Forest Gump (for the Vietnam war bit you understand)
    Blues Brothers
    Blade Runner directors cut

9. Got most of my must haves - lawrence of arabia, midnight express, blade runner, zulu & zulu dawn, the good the bad and the ugly, the big lebrowski, etc

just added Attack on Leningrad - highly recommended, based on true story

gonna check out das boot now

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Debbie does Dallas 8)

11. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

War not whore Auld yin!!

12. msr

msr LE

Probably not available on DVD, but the look on the German Naval Officer's face as he sailed his ship into the French port which had been decked out for the filming of Das Boot...

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I saw Attack on Leningrad the other day, but having not heard of it I didn't get it. A small synopsis would be appreciated.

Debbie does Dallas just shows us your age Auld Yin :p I've never actually seen it myself. Ugly fat women I'm sure ;)

14. Battle of Algiers
    The Cruel Sea
    The Searchers
    The Four Feathers(1939)

15. Spot on, lent it out a couple of years ago and am still waiting for it back.

Plus, The Hill.