No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Condition:
As new, unopened

Details:
DVD, highly recommended by the official arrse review editor

Synopsis:
If you want a film that is accurate in every way, one that fully portrays the horror, the inhimanity and yes, even the glory of war. A film that stretches the imagination, that holds one spellbound and brimming with admiration for the courage and raw emotions felt by soldiers, then look no further than 'The Green Berets'
I can't recommend it highly enough

Is that the one where that well known cinematic walt John Wayne reprises his role as the man who saved SE Asia from the communist hoards.....oh hang on.....

Condition:
As new, unopened

Details:
DVD, highly recommended by the official arrse review editor

Synopsis:

I can't recommend it highly enough
I'll take it off your mitts for £100. I'll wait for your payment to be cleared before I will accept it though,

I watched it a few weeks ago, it really was gushing tripe to cater for the yank viewers,
Wiggy Wayne managed to go into combat and still come out of it with fresh laundered fatigues

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, that's just your opinion.

The official arrse review editor couldn't speak highly enough of it...
I only review books! Officially.

I liked the use of the Fulton STAR recovery kit complete with deployment of hi viz balloon in broad daylight.
IIRC the yanks gave up using it as it left most users as a bag of bones swilling around inside a jumpsuit

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
I only review books! Officially.
I've a confession... it is the only war film i remember switching off after 10 mins when i was a kid.

I just wanted to point out the reckless and irresponsible behaviour of a certified reviewer not putting an ironic emotion at the end of a VERY ironic post!

(i was trying to be funny too)

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've a confession... it is the only war film i remember switching off after 10 mins when i was a kid.

I just wanted to point out the reckless and irresponsible behaviour of a certified reviewer not putting an ironic emotion at the end of a VERY ironic post!

If I had to put an emoticon to clarify every post I make then I would be in grave danger of beinf transferred to mumsnet.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs

Apologies to @irlsgt (the thumbs down rater) - if it helps i can supply you with a brand new dvd of the movie, for £12?

If I had to put an emoticon to clarify every post I make then I would be in grave danger of beinf transferred to mumsnet.
I dare you to keep the same username...

Went to see it in Portsmouth when it first came out and was greeted by a bunch of students protesting about the Vietnam war. All I can say the fight before we went in was better than the film.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Went to see it in Portsmouth when it first came out and was greeted by a bunch of students protesting about the Vietnam war. All I can say the fight before we went in was better than the film.
Looking back i bet that's one of your proudest moments - a Vietnam war cheerleader...

So, I take it this didn't go as the OP expected.
I've actually sold 3 copies at £12/each so far, all off the back of @old_fat_and_hairy's official reviewer review. I've given them all @ViroBono contact details for any follow up comments...

oldbaldy

LE
I watched it in an RM mess, one of their Csgts sat in the front row wearing his tin hat!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
From its first release 'The Green Berets' has long been regarded as a virtue-signaller's cinematic wet dream ever since Penelope Gilliat described it as "a film best handled from a distance and with a pair of tongs" in the New Yorker. It's always fun to drop it into a conversation, watch the Pavlovian reactions of the Battleship Potemkin brigade* and then ask them why the same things can't be said about The Deer Hunter.

Pretty much every Vietnam film ever made had an axe to grind from a political perspective and ended up talking manipulative bollocks, The Green Berets, almost uniquely, simply did it from a pro-war perspective. Of all the Vietnam films I can remember watching, only Hamburger Hill and the Odd Angry Shot didn't descend into propaganda, caricature and gross over-simplification.

The Green Berets is worth it just to watch Bruce Cabot explaining to John Wayne why, though a Colonel in a Special Forces unit, he's currently a fat b@stard - presumably that particular piece of otherwise unnecessary exposition was inserted as the result of desperate pleading by the US Army liaison team.

* In the interests of balance, showing faux enthusiasm for Heartbreak Ridge has a similar effect on members of the USMC.

Have a like for endorsing 'The Odd Angry Shot', but I'd have to disagree on some of the caricatures (particularly the QM!).

Utter crap featuring a geriatric as a war hero.

Every turn in a war film by John Wayne is crap.

Fun fact. In the longest day Benjamin Vandervoort the US airborne Colonel portrayed by JW, was still 10 or so years younger than John Wayne at the time of filming some 15+ years after D-day