DVD box sets - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by _Artemis_, Jun 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any recommendations for decent DVD box sets? Preferably of a similar ilk to the West Wing, Band of Brothers, Frasier, American Dad, the Prisoner etc.
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Very wide selection of genres there, Arte. Last ones I bought were Rome, series one and two.

Always fun.
  3. Try 'Life on Mars' - great series that some overlooked. Gene Hunt comes up with some great lines.
  4. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Soldier, Soldier is available as a DVD set. Enjoy watching well scripted episodes with the occasional military howler to brighten up your life.
  5. Family guy.......Pure Genius.

I thought the Simpsons could not be beaten for humour.

Family Guy is proper laugh out loud funny.

Cheers N_W.
  6. Ultimate Farce

and if you like old films the Powell and Pressberger box set is wonderfulhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Powell-Pressburger-Collection-Dirk-Bogarde/dp/B000HRLWR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1214258516&sr=1-1
  7. For some cracking edge-of-the-seat entertainment, try "24" and "Prison Break".
    They're both really slick episodic thrillers with good plots, interesting characters and genuinely surprising cliffhangers.
  8. Tour of Duty? Smashing music.
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Seconded for the Rome series, both good.

Sharpe boxed set is good value on Amazon - I was surprised how many I had missed on the telly.
  10. I would have said for definate band of brothers if you never mentioned :D

I'm quite a big fan of dumb stuff like the Jackass, Viva La Bam, Dirty Sanchez box sets....... good for when youve had a few bevvies in you with a few mates around!
  11. Little House on the Prairie is available.
  12. Firefly - great series, available cheaply. While it got cancelled, it was good enough to make a film afterwards ("Serenity").
  13. May I suggest something along your original lines.

Although made in the 1980's it tells the story of a bunch of Aussies in WW1.
    Absolutely superb.

Have a ANZAC Link

14. Dexter. This is a new series taken from the Jeff Linsay books. If you want something dark this is the way forward
  15. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

24 and lost - both great :thumleft: