DV and depression

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by suzywongster, May 31, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is your DV affected if you get diagnosed with depression? Or any other psych problem?
  2. just be honest about everything mate. biggest reason for failing vetting is - lying or trying to conceal something.

you wouldn't believe some of the things people have confessed to in DV interviews - and kept their vetting.

honesty honesty honesty. all the way.
  3. You should inform DVA they will then decide if it is relevant to your clearance, i had a member of staff who tried to commit suicide. DVA decided to suspend the clearance until they had received a copy of an assesment from the persons Psychiatrist
  4. Wouldn't someone diagnosed with depression be sent on sick leave? I'm no expert, but I would have thought that depression and firearms are not an ideal combination.
  5. 'honesty honesty honesty. all the way.'

What Corps are you in again CR?!?!?!?!?

CG..... or is it?
  6. Not 100% on this but I think it may be 3 years symptom / medication free and you are considered OK.

I think clearance would depend on a lot of factors. If you tried to conceal it you would definitely be seen as unreliable.

The nature of the job means a lot of good people get depressed at some period, whether they admit it or not.

It didn't affect Winston Churchills ability to thrash the filthy Hun so good luck!
  7. as someone who has a bad habit of being brutally honest too much of the time... question my belt-size, but don't question my integrity :)
  8. Agree with CR on this one. When dealing with any vetting issue its vital to tell the truth about everything. A criminal record and/or history of mental illness do not necessarilly preclude you from recieving clearance but getting caught out lying about anything will.
  9. Have suffered with depression for the past 10 years. Declare it and you will be OK. Unless you walk in with a bottle of pills, a noose and a loaded revolver you should be fine!
  10. There are at least two former members of the Corps on the management of the DVA. Ex members who came up the hard way, so they know quite a bit about real life.

There is lots of good advice here, clearly the status of the DV is not, and should not be the issues. The person in question needs to talk to people, including those who are professionally inclined.

To throw them into the arrse bear pit, migh not be recommended by some, but it could also provide some form of therapy.

I hope that person's family and friends are able to provide all the support they can.

cue more jibes at Subb's "ologist" tendencies
  11. CR's right - touch base with you vetting officer and let him/her know. Take professional medical advice for the treatment of your depression. You are certainly not alone and, alas, with the nature of ops your experience is not unusual.

Anyway I don't think Burgess, Philby, Mclean et al were depressives (although Blunt was INT CORPS for a short while so maybe we should ban all INT CORPS from holding DV...)
  12. Quite right.

The worst thing you could do is not seek help and try to get over it on your own. You might succeed, but any bizarre behaviour you exhibit in the meantime would likely be put down to character defects, and it probably wouldn’t cut any ice after the event to say you had been suffering from depression.

Even a head-shrinker’s opinion wouldn’t help, he couldn’t diagnose a problem that you’d already recovered from.
  13. He is only right if he is posting in his free time
  14. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Although in case I'd confused anyone, I'm not depressed it's just something that interests me and you can't find that sort of information out that easily!

The DVA's hard enough to work out if you haven't got any funny business in your past or present- let alone if you try and get advice on something. The CoC just keep referring me to other people.
  15. It's a shame how depression is so often stigmatised, after all it's just an illness like many others. It can be triggered by physical or mental stimuli, it can be treated and it can also be cured. My other half had post-natal depression after childbirth and once you see it at first hand you appreciate how blasé we often are (especially us tough army blokes). It didn't stop me being a piss-taking bastard though.

I would hope that DVA are professional enough to be able to recognise genuine illness and that it should not necessarily be a bar to security clearance and certainly not at a blanket "forever and ever". I'm always tickled by how many of the DVA people are lovely, sweet, but totally unshockable little old women. I used to be wary of offending them but then realised I was an amateur compared to some of the wrong 'uns they've spoken to over the years!