DV and CRB

#1
Now i know this maybe in the wrong forum so MODs feel please move if necessary.

I was speaking to a mate of mine in the ACF and he was asking if my vetting status, DV, included the same checks that CRB did. Now I said i knew that DV was obviously a much more in depth look at a persons background etc, and as far as I am aware CRB is basically a PNC check and....well...thats about it.

So the question I put out to you is, does DV include the same checks that are conducted as part of the CRB??

In your own time......go on!

CG
 
#2
The answer, mate, is yes - and more. Basically anyone who holds current DV status will have automatically been subject to initial checks that are far beyond CRB in nature, and are also subject to annual line-manager's verification. In some instances, individuals who have DV and then require CRB checks for external, unassociated purposes (i.e. youth football teams, scouts, beavers, etc) normally receive the latter in a matter of 2 - 3 weeks. Hope this helps.
 
#3
Cheers mate, it wasnt really a matter of life and death or anything, but it was discussed over a few pints, and now i have an excuse to explain it over some more this weekend! Cheers DH.

CG
 
#4
On a point of order:

I do not know of a single organisation that deals with children or teenagers that recognises a DVA security clearance as proof of CRB clearance.

The Law of the land says that have to ask for a CRB certificate. I strongly suggest that your mate fills out the forms for the CRB certificate before someone suggests that he might be trying to hide something.

Any agency that works in an area that requires CRB checks, can also refuse to port your exisiting cert over and demand you apply for a fresh one.

The CRB certificate will probably come back with your friends name spelt wrong, but at least the law has been upheld!
 
#5
I think you got the wrong end of the stick Subbsonic. my mate HAS CRB and I have DV, HE was asking what the difference was, I explained what the DV process, but I couldnt definitavely give an answer on CRB, but thanks to the glorious ARRSE, I can now take him an answer.

Cheers for the imput tho Sub.

CG
 
#6
Theoretically if you have CRB or other equivalent, such as DV, it should be recorded on the system against your national insurance number. Having DV just makes it quicker to get the CRB clearance.
 
#7
Hmm.

A new CRB check is needed for each new organisation (that requires them) that you are applying to work for.

E.g. If you are a teacher you will be CRBed for the school that you are working in, but you won't be CRBed to work in another school! Crazy innit?
 
#8
Wench3000 said:
Hmm.

A new CRB check is needed for each new organisation (that requires them) that you are applying to work for.

E.g. If you are a teacher you will be CRBed for the school that you are working in, but you won't be CRBed to work in another school! Crazy innit?
i don't think that's crazy at all. what's to stop a paedophile moving from school to school if CRB checks aren't updated? shouldn't be reliant on a reference from the old school to say "oh yes, he decided to move on after that ugly little business with the police and a 9 year old girl."
 
#9
CRB no longer supports portability but individual organisations are able to risk-manage the issue themselves.

EG: If a member of staff in an LEA moves from one school to another just down the road.

However, like an MOT certificate or an MBMM matrix, it is only as good as the day it came off the printer. An industry insider believes that there are a number of CRB certificates in circulation for people who do not exist. This throws further light on the reliability of such documents.

As with any other form of evaluation: Always seek collateral ;-)
 
#10
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
Wench3000 said:
Hmm.

A new CRB check is needed for each new organisation (that requires them) that you are applying to work for.

E.g. If you are a teacher you will be CRBed for the school that you are working in, but you won't be CRBed to work in another school! Crazy innit?
i don't think that's crazy at all. what's to stop a paedophile moving from school to school if CRB checks aren't updated? shouldn't be reliant on a reference from the old school to say "oh yes, he decided to move on after that ugly little business with the police and a 9 year old girl."
I thought she was 16!! *ahem* Oh, I see....

Seriously though, if you were convicted of anything then surely it'd end up on your criminal record and you wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a school?
 
#11
Wench3000 said:
CRmeansCeilingReached said:
Wench3000 said:
Hmm.

A new CRB check is needed for each new organisation (that requires them) that you are applying to work for.

E.g. If you are a teacher you will be CRBed for the school that you are working in, but you won't be CRBed to work in another school! Crazy innit?
i don't think that's crazy at all. what's to stop a paedophile moving from school to school if CRB checks aren't updated? shouldn't be reliant on a reference from the old school to say "oh yes, he decided to move on after that ugly little business with the police and a 9 year old girl."
I thought she was 16!! *ahem* Oh, I see....

Seriously though, if you were convicted of anything then surely it'd end up on your criminal record and you wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a school?
forgive me for being dense. i thought that was what a CRB check was for?
 
#12
Come to think of it, I'm not 100% sure myself now. The CRB is to see if there is anything on your record or past that would make you unsuitable to work with kids or vulnerable adults.

However, if you were on any lists you'd presumably have been convicted of something and would therefore have a record that would be checked!?
 
#13
is it not a Criminal Records Bureau check...? to check your Criminal Records?

presumably Ian Huntley et al wouldn't just volunteer his tendencies on a job application to work with children.




ok found this:

The CRB service at a glance
Print this page The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) acts as a ‘one-stop-shop’ for organisations, checking police records and, in relevant cases, information held by the Department of Health (DH) and the Department for Education and Skills (DfES). There are two levels of CRB check currently available; called Standard and Enhanced Disclosures.

The two CRB checks are available in cases where an employer is entitled to ask exempted questions under the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974. This includes any organisation whose staff or volunteers work with children or vulnerable adults. They are issued free to volunteers.

Standard Disclosure
This is primarily available to anyone involved in working with children or vulnerable adults, as well as certain other occupations and entry into professions as specified in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974. Standard Disclosures show current and spent convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings held on the Police National Computer. If the post involves working with children or vulnerable adults, the following may also be searched:


Protection of Children Act (POCA) List
Protection of Vulnerable Adults (POVA) List
Information that is held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002 (formerly known as List 99)

Enhanced Disclosure
This is the highest level of check available to anyone involved in regularly caring for, training, supervising or being in sole charge of children or vulnerable adults. It is also available in certain licensing purposes and judicial appointments. Enhanced Disclosures contain the same information as the Standard Disclosure but with the addition of any relevant and proportionate information held by the local police forces.

The CRB recognises that the Standard and Enhanced Disclosure information can be extremely sensitive and personal, therefore it has published a Code of Practice and employers’ guidance for recipients of Disclosures to ensure they are handled fairly and used properly.

A copy of the Standard or Enhanced Disclosure will be sent out to the applicant as well as the Registered Body.
http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=310
 
#14
Cheers.

So basically its checking multiple agencies with any extra information that might be "floating" around.
"relevant and proportionate information held by the local police forces."

What does this mean?
 
#15
it means you won't get a job working with children if you're a paedophile.

oh, unless a police force forgot to update the computer.

or had numerous complaints against you but didn't want to compromise your human rights by recording it anywhere.

or...

well, you get the idea. in theory, it's supposed to root out the ian huntleys of this world and stop them getting such jobs BEFORE they murder little children.

but no system is perfect.
 
#16
I always shudder when anything is described as a "one-stop-shop" especially when concerning security checks.

But I'm all right; I've got an SIA licence. Miles better than DV and only £190!
 
#17
In theory the CRB check was meant to be portable, but no-one is/was prepared to take the risk.

Oddly, I have to re-submit if I go from ATC to ACF (as I am considering, presently) despite the check going through the same channels, the same desk officer, the same civil servant at Imphal Barracks?
 
#18
Dubb_al_Ibn said:
I always shudder when anything is described as a "one-stop-shop" especially when concerning security checks.

But I'm all right; I've got an SIA licence. Miles better than DV and only £190!
They saw you coming DUBB; there is a bloke in my local selling them for
£25 :thumright:
 
#20
Piglet_Files said:
Dubb_al_Ibn said:
I always shudder when anything is described as a "one-stop-shop" especially when concerning security checks.

But I'm all right; I've got an SIA licence. Miles better than DV and only £190!
They saw you coming DUBB; there is a bloke in my local selling them for
£25 :thumright:
I've got one left. Yours for £20 :thumright:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GreenSlime Army Reserve 5
Mattybouy The NAAFI Bar 14
D OTC and ACF 23

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top