Duxford Flying Legends 2013 Phots

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Skunkmiester, Jul 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here are a few of the phots that I took at this years Flying legends show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When my Dad first started going to military air shows, these 3 below were cutting edge technology....scary.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  3. Good stuff Skunkmeister, hope you enjoyed your day and the traffic wasn't too bad.

4. Thank you. The traffic was no probs, only took 15-20 mins to get out.
    It was the heat that got me though, Saturday was bloody hot and there was a huge crowd there making it difficult to find a good spot to take phots. I don't carry much kit, only a camera rucksack with a Canon 550 / 100-400 lens and monopole, but I was necking water constantly.

There was a lot of aviation fan skin on show, which was pretty nasty.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You've reminded me of too many BoB displays spent in No 1's correcting the Kevins as they waxed lyrical in their baseball caps and shorts.

6. Nice. I like the one of the three Hawker Furys (?) having a dogfight. Oh, and a Spit in its rightful place; up the chuff of a Bf109 :-D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Absolutely tremendous shots Skunkmeister.

8. Thanks, this years display was pretty good. It started ahead of schedule with a display from the organiser who had managed Flying legends since it's beginning. He took off and did an amazing display in an F8F Bearcat. Big,fast zooming aerobatics in an awesome machine.

[​IMG]

As he was displaying, the commentators were telling us how this would be his last ever display as he was retiring.....he was 75 years old! It was jaw dropping and during the display the commentators went quite and then played Pink Floyd 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' over the sound system.
    I don't mind telling you that it was difficult to take phots during the display as I couldn't focus, it was stunning and emotional. A perfect sound track with an amazing pilot flying out his last few display minutes.

Then they went straight into two Buchon's strafing up the airfiled, dominating the air for a few passes and then 4 Spits turned up, split into pairs and chased the 'Messershmitt's' all around the sky, sorting them out and getting rid of them.
    A very impressive display that made you think and remember.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Great photos - thank you.

10. Re the pic of sally B -
    Was at West Malling a good few years ago and she had just been involved in the Memphis Belle filming and was still wearing a very tired and battle damaged paint scheme , also was still armed with blank firing .50s and flew several low passes with the crew giving it large on the .50s .
    Also re old display pilots had the pleasure of watching Ray Hannah flying from the old ALG at Chailey.... he took off in the Mk9 spit got the gear up and held her at hedge height or just below building up speed the length of what was little more than a flattened farmers field before pulling up , he also carried out a few other non CAA approved manoeuvres ;-) that were truly awesome , at the time he must have been late sixties or early seventies .

11. Pity you couldn't get any photos of more up to date aircraft.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wondrous stuff, SM - thank you for posting!

tac

13. Great Skunky! I saw the Sally B do a low pass over USAF Mildenhall a couple of years ago just after the Lanc. I'd never seen them displaying consecutively before and was amazed how much smaller the B-17 bomb bay was.

14. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

These are great. How do you find the 100-400 for all-day use? It's a lens I have considered but have been scared off by the weight (and the cost of course!)

15. Thank you, it's ok for holding for a few minutes, but I have always used a monopole (or tripod for moon and star shots, I have captured 3 of Jupiters moons using it, just dots but I was pretty chuffed).

I would say that a Monopole is a must for an event, not just for the weight but also for an aid with panning and stabilization. However that may just be because I am crap and don't have the technique.