Duty travel - Business use car insurance

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Trossachs, May 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The latest wheeze here is that you cannot claim for duty travel if you do not have Business use on your car insurance. I do so I'm OK jack - but will MOD pay the difference for those that do not , or just take the hit in extra payments to Hertz ?

The other half of this was when offering to use my car I was told that I could not because "There is a white fleet car and driver that can take you. You will have to use that because it costs nothing...." or words to that effect.

So tommorow morning I will get chauffeur driven to a course 3.5 hours drive away - and a hire car back next friday....

Let me think. Car plus Driver plus 300 mile round trip, plus hire car for 150 mile one way trip. Got to save the tax-payer money compared to giving me 23p a mile instead hasn't it......

Are we INSANE ? The system seems hell-bent on putting money into the hands of Hertz, and as for having civvy drivers on the staff to ferry people about, I despair.

2. Some insurance companies offer cover between 'home' address and multiple places of work, but I went for the full business insurance, it didn't break the bank (IIRC about £10 per year).

Not a drama, unless anyone has a horror-story they want to tell us ... ?

If you drive on duty, the car is your place of work and so whether it's your own vehicle, Herz or belongs to The Firm, you need the appropriate insurance cover.